All the answers from "AMA - first edition (Arthur, Bruce, Stephen & Paul)" collated into one post

you should have asked to the devs during AMA. Instead it was full of silly people asking for RAXXLA.
I have asked 2 reasoneable questions and I have been answered clearly.
Honestly 90% of the questions were dumb. If you make dumb questions you can't expect other than dumb answers.

Unfortunately, I've been out of the loop for a while and am now just getting back into the game. I'm surprised ... well maybe not ... that this question hasn't been asked. I can't be the only one that is wondering...

Unfortunately, I've been out of the loop for a while and am now just getting back into the game. I'm surprised ... well maybe not ... that this question hasn't been asked. I can't be the only one that is wondering...
If you're after an official answer from FD, it would be a very safe bet to say their answer will be the same as the answers to the other Odyssey questions... wait and see. If you want more speculation and about what others think, I asked this question on the forum back in August:

Thanks for the link. You are probably right about FD being closed lips about it, but I don't see why they would need to be unless they don't even know yet. No biggie. I was just wondering.

Q: Do you have any plans to improve fleet carrier-related interface? I think it is cluttering in some systems. Also FC could really benefit from additional interface features like ability to broadcast prices or available services.
We don't have any upcoming changes planned for the Fleet Carrier UI but are open to any suggestions and feedback.
Boo! Need to declutter the system maps immediately* (maybe thru' a menu option).

Q: How does the team think about the amount of grinding required for various activities, especially material grinding and relogging - is there any plan to make materials more fun to acquire?
We're not fans of the current meta for material gathering and well aware of how grindy it is. Re-logging being the best method is especially not something we want for Elite. Alternatives are an ongoing discussion with dev - as soon as plans are made, we'll let the community know.
Yay! Please repeat to all the white knights who claimed there was no grinding in this game whenever someone started a thread about all the grinding in the game.

*Except for the Fleet Carrier I accidentally found this evening called <-Painite-> 350k and it bought all my painite. That one can stay :)

Nice read, thanks StuartGT.

I am used to [REDACTED] because no clues, fine. However, not telling whether it's actually reachable is a bit much combined with the "It's in the game" statement. Refusing all that time to at least tell people whether an investigation can actually lead to fruition, however hard it may be, is just... Ah well, quite convinced by now that it's not reachable if it exists at alll apart from the codex entry and they don't want to deal with the rage of all the people who dedicated a lot of time to it for YEARS on end. Yes, doing justice to this monster of a myth is scary and hard, I do get that and the new Odyssey features give you more tools to do it justice - it's logical but still...

I am used to [REDACTED] because no clues, fine. However, not telling whether it's actually reachable is a bit much combined with the "It's in the game" statement. Refusing all that time to at least tell people whether an investigation can actually lead to fruition, however hard it may be, is just... Ah well, quite convinced by now that it's not reachable if it exists at alll apart from the codex entry and they don't want to deal with the rage of all the people who dedicated a lot of time to it for YEARS on end. Yes, doing justice to this monster of a myth is scary and hard, I do get that and the new Odyssey features give you more tools to do it justice - it's logical but still...
The Holy Chalice, also known as the Holy Grail, is in Christian tradition the vessel that Jesus used at the Last Supper to serve wine [Wikipedia]. People are still searching for it some 2000 years later (plus the spear that pierced his chest), there was even a seeker of the Holy Grail on Babylon 5 :). For some it's a matter of faith that Raxxla exists and that's enough. The rest of us just think it will be found when Fdev put it in the game (no proof whether God has left the grail on Earth but like the dinosaur bones He could be having a laugh at our expense)...

yes, these guys are now definitely listening. then again their influence will be limited, but it's still something.

just noted that this, the only question i had hit "like" for, went unanswered:

a simple, straight-forward, 0% noise and 100% relevant question. just ingored.

also obviously a depth charge, but there were many ways to neutralize it like they have done with other questions, quite efficiently and even with good humor. the fact that this particular one was simply ignored by all three representatives is a bit of a let down, though, and raises questions ... is this taboo? is there any actual tension? or didn't they even take the question seriously? maybe it was offensive? i think it's a very serious question, actually one of the most legitimate and consequential (if not the most) in the whole show.

next time, pretty please.
My money's on p2p and FPS game play tuned away from twitch style to attempt to compensate for the fact that p2p isn't good for FPS games.

Yay! Please repeat to all the white knights who claimed there was no grinding in this game whenever someone started a thread about all the grinding in the game.
Heh, have to admit I took some pleasure reading that one. There's been several such threads really recently with a strong contingent representing the camp of "it's not grindy, you're playing it wrong". Whilst partially true (I mean, if you don't like grind, don't grind right?), that stance always had, for me, a primary motivation of dismissing any feedback about the subject.

I'm really pleased to see it's on FDev's radar and I hope they have some solid solutions to removing the log in and out approach, whilst still removing the excessive need to repeat a task to obtain ample materials (assuming they admit some players just want to do stuff now, not "naturally").

The other answer related to this was the material trader being too expensive (note that this is another topic that's recently been shot down) and I've always just accepted it for what it is but am really happy if they want to make it cheaper. That's one easy way to gonk the grind for players.

I'll be honest, these were the only two answers that stood out for me. I didn't expect much, I'm pretty certain they won't give more unknown info out (about Odyssey) until the next diary. I'm fine with that too.

I took it as a humorous remark rather than literally, like if someone asks if you've seen Santa Clause lately: "When you meet him you ask him what presents the elves have been making you". I could be interpreting it wrong though :)

I was joking too... :)

e're working on fixes for.

It's disappointing that they refuse to address ship interiors. Many people interpreted their (intentionally unclear) announcement as they'll add them after Odyssey launched. But at this point it's clear they had no intention of adding them at all until people asked, and my guess is that they still don't. It's a little shady not to tell people.
I think that nonsense. I think it one of the things that was dropped because of covid 19. I think we will see interiors added over the next year.

Last edited:
Not much of a priority considering the lack of fun involved in Star Citizen's interiors and since FDEV doesn't need to use them to sell jpgs.

Let 'em try to nail the FPS stuff on planets and stations before expanding it to interiors.
I would agree with you, but there is one thing interiors do that you can't just dismiss. You might hear a certain Latvian bang on about IMMMMMMMMERSHUN and it really does add to a game. Yes I will agree that MAYBE interiors won't add any gameplay to the game but it would enhance the game.

Yes Star Citizen has interiors, but so does X4, and right now for Elite Dangerous, X4's model is probably the most realistic we can push Frontier for. The cockpit is walkable, and the entry to the ships is walkable.

So for large ships in Elite Dangerous, you'd walk up to the outer door, and "teleport" to the cockpit area. For smaller ships in X4 you can walk right into the cockpit, but Elite Dangerous's smaller ships still have an outside door, and a door in the cockpit.

It's not full interiors, but it's do-able for Frontier given that the cockpits for all the ships are currently modelled and it would add so much to the game.
So don't dismiss ship interiors because you're following the narrative that they have no benefit to the game.

Heh, have to admit I took some pleasure reading that one. There's been several such threads really recently with a strong contingent representing the camp of "it's not grindy, you're playing it wrong". Whilst partially true (I mean, if you don't like grind, don't grind right?), that stance always had, for me, a primary motivation of dismissing any feedback about the subject.

I'm really pleased to see it's on FDev's radar and I hope they have some solid solutions to removing the log in and out approach, whilst still removing the excessive need to repeat a task to obtain ample materials (assuming they admit some players just want to do stuff now, not "naturally").

The other answer related to this was the material trader being too expensive (note that this is another topic that's recently been shot down) and I've always just accepted it for what it is but am really happy if they want to make it cheaper. That's one easy way to gonk the grind for players.

I'll be honest, these were the only two answers that stood out for me. I didn't expect much, I'm pretty certain they won't give more unknown info out (about Odyssey) until the next diary. I'm fine with that too.
You are far too sensible for these forums ;)

So don't dismiss ship interiors because you're following the narrative that they have no benefit to the game.

I'm following the narrative? I'm not allowed to have my own opinion that every time it's been tried in the X games and whatnot, it adds nothing too entertaining for me? I've somehow fallen under the thrall of spin merchants rather than never being very impressed with implementation?

I apologize for having the temerity to not be excited about ridiculous repair scenario theorycrafting or pretending anything exciting is going to happen there with other players. I didn't say "no benefit," I just think it probably shouldn't be a priority due to every other attempt being rubbish from my perspective. No big deal, and precious little narrative.

The only "immersion" I care about is having proper VR support eventually. Something plenty of other people consider low priority. Such is life. We disagree. The end.

Last edited:
Not much of a priority considering the lack of fun involved in Star Citizen's interiors and since FDEV doesn't need to use them to sell jpgs.

Let 'em try to nail the FPS stuff on planets and stations before expanding it to interiors.

Idk if you can pull star citizens non-design as a comparison here, or in general to be honest. They dont know how to make games beyond pretty pictures.. You want a proper MMO? Ship interiors will serve a purpose there and that's not fps combat or some nonsensical interior repair. That works in games like Guns of Icarus. For elite, the ship interiors could very well be "personal decoration quarters. Let us show off ourselves, decorate, a place to store things and interact with things. Of course you can access everything from your pilot seat, but why not give us the option to fiddle around with our commander in front of our bathroom mirror, or tweak our eventually arriving suits for Odyssey in a sepparate room, give us a few rooms to decorate and maybe place little doodads like statues we recieved from community goals, plaques for discoveries or our elite ranks, for others you may invite to your ship to see or just for ourselves.
I get where you're coming from, but in order to actually make the game feel alive and not like a sterile simulation where you only interact with the same holographic cockpit with the same colour in every ship you own, give it meaningless variety and little things like that. That makes the game world feel alive. There is no need for exciting things to happen inside a ship. The "lame" part is where it's at, the ship can be your home away from home. And they could also add a lot more stuff to throw my hard-earned ARX at, because i'm really a simp for interior decoration in every game.

Let's just take the hideouts from Path Of Exile as an example. You dont need em. They're still really damn cool because you can express yourself. THAT is why I would like to see ship interiors eventually. Give us variety, give us choice and spaces to express ourselves outside of a few paintjobs and predefined decals.

When they say "we cannot comment on ship interiors," a part of me gets excited that they are simply hiding it and cannot talk about it yet.

But the cynic in me knows it's just a clever evasion for "it ain't coming but we don't want to enrage people by being upfront about it."

Well the actual quote is,

We don't have anything to share on ship interiors. We can only confirm that they won't be available for launch.

This is fairly clear in suggesting they are coming, just most likely as part of the updates after launch.

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
I think that nonsense. I think it one of the things that was dropped because of covid 19. I think we will see interiors added over the next year.
Well the actual quote is,

This is fairly clear in suggesting they are coming, just most likely as part of the updates after launch.
I think that is possibly a bit too optimistic and sets expectations leading to a likely disappointment.

Ships interiors, if they come, and any potential related gameplay imo will most likely represent a very significant DLC in itself that will conversely require a significant amount of time, not just as an add on to Odyssey “over the next year”. And that is assuming the next DLC is not aimed to expand atmospheric content instead etc.

Last edited:
Top Bottom