Tritium mining is a bad joke out in the black!

That's why I had guessed you would have understood my point the first time, but sarcasm is fun too :p
I went Elite late 1985, does that count too ? And probably one of the very first player as I bought it day one in england (one year before) but I guess standards of fun were different back then ....
I had it on the BBC 'B' in '84 too, but missed the following 2 from Frontier and picked up this game a little over 3 years ago... I think that Frontier made a reasonable folow-up to the original in this game.

(Yeah, sarcasm is fun too 👍 - and I probably did get your point, but as a grumpy ol' man...)

Well I tried mining in a Ltd hot spot and gave it 15 mins but only found asteroids with 5% and under Tritium so then moved to a Void opal hot spot and again low % of Tritium, so moved back to the three separate Tritium hot spots in the same ring again very low %, none above 28%.
In 2.5 hours I mined 190 units.
Also on my Conda I did have other mining tools but I had disabled them so I tried a few with the abrasion blaster but again finding them were poor.
When I used the pulse wave to see if that high lighted anything, I checked out a few and the really bright coloured was only high lighting Liquid Oxygen/Methanol Monohydrate Crystals! no Tritium!
I haven't got a problem mining for fuel but for a hot spot it should be a exactly that.

Where are you dropping into the hotspot? I try to drop in around 250K from the center. Surface deposits are decent but they are crumbs compared to sub-surface. If you have the displacement missile installed that's what you want. Not sure if you know but the PWA is bugged out. So to find most Core/SS/Surf roids you need to turn around 180 and ping every so often. In hotspots, for me so far, finding other than tritium in subsurface is rare, but some rings are better than others even in a hot-spot. I've found the rings around terrestrial worlds, ice or otherwise, have not been as rich as gas giants.

Anyhow, good luck. I know your pain.

Oh right, I forgot, this is Fdev, if I want a glass of milk I need to check the liquor cabinet. :ROFLMAO:
And also on your bookshelves, the linen closet and your tool chest in the garage, the point being that Tritium is found in nearly all Icy ring mining scenarios, it just tends to be more prevalent (in my experience, anyway) in hotspots. One of my recent mining outings gave me 120T rocket tea from an H3 hotspot in fairly short order so I moved to an LTD hotspot where along with 64T of diamonds (I didn't stay that long) I also added 72T of Tritium to my haul. Later trips for Grandi and Alex showed similar results, with Tritium tonnage exceeding or running a very close second to that of the nominal hotspot material, especially if the latter had a cores-only source. Most core rocks of any type also had some Tritium to take as well, sometimes quite a bit from multiple SSDs and a fairly high intrinsic percentage. This is why the reports of those like the OP puzzle me, they go against all my experience in the black so far (26 weeks now).

I am on PC and perhaps the density of ring asteroids makes a noticeable difference. Some of the rings I visit (and those I like the best) are positively crowded, so much so that getting at some SSD veins is downright hazardous to my shields, as it means having to fly between two fast-rotating meat-grinder 'roids. But therein lies the fun.

Last edited:
Where are you dropping into the hotspot? I try to drop in around 250K from the center. Surface deposits are decent but they are crumbs compared to sub-surface. If you have the displacement missile installed that's what you want. Not sure if you know but the PWA is bugged out. So to find most Core/SS/Surf roids you need to turn around 180 and ping every so often. In hotspots, for me so far, finding other than tritium in subsurface is rare, but some rings are better than others even in a hot-spot. I've found the rings around terrestrial worlds, ice or otherwise, have not been as rich as gas giants.

Anyhow, good luck. I know your pain.
I usually drop about 3.0Mm from the centre and work in.
Funny as I had just jumped to a new system with a ringed gas giant with 3 single Tritium hot spots and the first one is yielding better results.
I've mined nearly 70 unit's in half an hour, I've been leaving any under 7% and just moving on mining the rest.
Still no really high yielding, only15/20% but its slowly filling my hull.

Hopefully I'll get back to the bubble before next years major update as I wanted to get all access to the engineers with my other accounts, as I haven't unlocked a few of them.
I'm double elite on two, and triple on my backers account.

....I've been leaving any under 7% and just moving on mining the rest.
This will up your T/hr a bit, but you might also consider just burning those rocks without using a Prospector limpet, they go depleted very fast, so no big time sink, and every fragment adds to the take. I use drive-by laser assays to evaluate rocks that don't glow in the PWA pulse (i.e., knock off a chunk and select it) rather than plugging them all with Prospectors, so I can sample a lot of rocks more quickly. I pass if the assay fragment is less than 2% or 3%, burn it without a Prospector if the frag is above that up to 10%, and 10% and above I do use a Prospector to increase productivity of the rock. Seems to work well enough.

I would pay the maximum amount my carrier will allow me to buy for.
I will be there for some time as where I am is an unexplored neutron star field so I'm exploring that while mapping all Ice rings looking for better hot spots.
Have picked up some Tritium and now heading in your direction, will take a few days as I have to manually plot each jump and am restricted on time.

K Olley, you should grab outfitting and stock mining gear to bring the OP a SSD missile launcher.
Too late, and apart from that I do not have outfitting or shipyard installed, I do mainly mining and trading but always keep rearm, refuel and repair available for passing ships.

Good to see Commanders willing to help out. My original intent was to offer some of my Tritium surplus to those I met in the black who were running on fumes, until I found I had to offer it ALL, not just a portion -- no apparent way to limit Supply in the Commodities UI. Has that changed? It would really be helpful to have that option.

My first trip out of the bubble I did the "mine-as-you-go" method. It was very tedious. This was first release iteration of FC, btw.
Next trip, I buckled down and just bought a full hold and tank of fuel. Much nicer from my perspective other than the transfer dance you have to do from cargo hold to tank.
One caveat, I don't really like mining. I do enjoy blowing up rocks, but you don't get tritium from cores.
I don't know how it might be now.
Now days I might just do some bounty hunting then buy a tank/hold full before going anywhere.

Good to see Commanders willing to help out. My original intent was to offer some of my Tritium surplus to those I met in the black who were running on fumes, until I found I had to offer it ALL, not just a portion -- no apparent way to limit Supply in the Commodities UI. Has that changed? It would really be helpful to have that option.
That would be a nice change, for any product in the market. In my case, I wanted to let my squadron just drop off stuff in the cargo hold. The work around was to buy it from them at the lowest price then sell it back at the lowest price when they wanted it to go sell at a real market.

That would be a nice change, for any product in the market. In my case, I wanted to let my squadron just drop off stuff in the cargo hold. The work around was to buy it from them at the lowest price then sell it back at the lowest price when they wanted it to go sell at a real market.
Are you talking about transfering cargo to carrier just like the owner?

Top Bottom