What did you do in Planet Zoo today?

Today I confirmed that both giant pandas and red pandas work for this week's community challenge, so I built some red panda habitats to match.

Red about upcoming 1.4 and the Aquatic DLC... and then spent way to much time researching these new animals on the internet!

Well... I played a bit, got a franchise server disconnect notice, saved to main menu, started up my zoo, played a bit, got a server disconnect notice, saved to main menu, started up my zoo, played a bit... etc.

Seriously, what is going on with the constant disconnect issues? It doesn't matter what I do, how long I play or what I do, this random disconnect issue keeps popping up. It's insanely frustrating.

But, be zen... When I got to play I visited all my habitats, made sure there were no fights, emptied my trade center by replacing mostly alpha males in herd animals so I had more space to trade/sell animals with a low gene rating. Took a look at my two buffalo herds in the hopes of my albino recessive offspring producing albino buffalos, but alas. Scoured the market for albino tapirs and buffalos, and hoped to catch a glimpse of a rare silver- or higher-rated okapi, capuchin, pygmy hippo or rhino. Checked all my work zones to make sure that they have enough staff to deal with the increasing number of guests, facilities and animals, decided to go ahead and buy a few Australian animals as preparation for either new habitats or a new franchise zoo and then, and only then, could I finally relax and watch those cute little kittens, pups, gorillas and other small fry bound around without having to worry (too much) about alerts popping up.

Oh, and I also relocated several animals to different habitats (switched them around) when I saw one species had a habitat that was far too large for its needs (both lemur species) and another that needed a bigger habitat (cheetahs).

Well... I played a bit, got a franchise server disconnect notice, saved to main menu, started up my zoo, played a bit, got a server disconnect notice, saved to main menu, started up my zoo, played a bit... etc.

Seriously, what is going on with the constant disconnect issues? It doesn't matter what I do, how long I play or what I do, this random disconnect issue keeps popping up. It's insanely frustrating.

But, be zen... When I got to play I visited all my habitats, made sure there were no fights, emptied my trade center by replacing mostly alpha males in herd animals so I had more space to trade/sell animals with a low gene rating. Took a look at my two buffalo herds in the hopes of my albino recessive offspring producing albino buffalos, but alas. Scoured the market for albino tapirs and buffalos, and hoped to catch a glimpse of a rare silver- or higher-rated okapi, capuchin, pygmy hippo or rhino. Checked all my work zones to make sure that they have enough staff to deal with the increasing number of guests, facilities and animals, decided to go ahead and buy a few Australian animals as preparation for either new habitats or a new franchise zoo and then, and only then, could I finally relax and watch those cute little kittens, pups, gorillas and other small fry bound around without having to worry (too much) about alerts popping up.

Oh, and I also relocated several animals to different habitats (switched them around) when I saw one species had a habitat that was far too large for its needs (both lemur species) and another that needed a bigger habitat (cheetahs).
Could the laggs be related to that they prepare the franchise market for the new animals? I do not play franchise so I am not sure if it was the same before. But I guess it could be,

I don't know, but I haven't had this many disconnects before I started playing again two weeks ago. Nothing changed on my end (we even upgraded our internet speed), so there's something weird going on. It's not game-breaking, but it's becoming increasingly annoying.

I don't know, but I haven't had this many disconnects before I started playing again two weeks ago. Nothing changed on my end (we even upgraded our internet speed), so there's something weird going on. It's not game-breaking, but it's becoming increasingly annoying.
Isn't Tuesday mornings their usual maintenance time for franchise? I think that is when the servers often go down intermittently - I tend to avoid franchise on a tuesday morning...

Isn't Tuesday mornings their usual maintenance time for franchise? I think that is when the servers often go down intermittently - I tend to avoid franchise on a tuesday morning...

Franchise maintenance is on Mondays.

Franchise maintenance is on Mondays.

Ah - my bad, I couldn't remember!

I love their podcasts! Always listen to them while I play PZ. Which I'm going to do right now. Gotta make a new zoo for the pack, woohoooo! :D

Awww, cool! I'm jealous. For me, starting a new project doesn't make sense at this point. I was planning to, but the DLC is too small and the giant otter is absolutely not usable in most zoo ideas I have currently, because they are on a budget. Let alone having only king penguins, that won't fit in any other idea as well. So staying with Unity a little longer it is. Being a somehwat realistic player (outside of Unity) can be annoying, I tell ya.

Stuck pretty closely to the Community Challenge today of breeding red & giant pandas. Got to over 50 births combined and will keep trying throughout the week.

Did get slowed down a bit with the red pandas, because I don't want them to inbreed and they age up so fast. I think I have a rotation down for them now that might make sense for a few generations at least. I realize inbreeding isn't a specific requirement of the challenge and I could probably get more if I didn't stop to sort their genetics. But it does give a break from the faster 3x's speed that I play at for these (I usually play on 1x or more often, pause), and I'm always thinking that I'll want to trade at least some of the final generation out or put them in my other zoos, so having some diversity in their backgrounds is probably a good idea!

I just entered the game to film a video to show @Chante Goodman the gizmo bug where you can't move collumns anymore in a straight line, no matter what you do. The axes just wouldn't toggle.

And I must have accidently did something right. If you have the same bug as well, here is what I find out: Try rotating the column/pillar on itself a bit. Now it should toggle.
I have this bug too when moving several pieces at once sometimes, but that I can not provoke. It just happens. Lets see if turning things on itself will help then as well.
If anyone of you sees a thread where the issue is reported,feel free to link me to it so I can share this solution.

I might crack back into the game tonight. I kind of want to have some sort of project at least started for when the next DLC drops so I don't have to spend a lot of time getting the zoo started (i.e., so I can play with the new features almost immediately). I'll probably revisit an earlier design of mine called the 'Living Fossils House'. I did a big tropical house with the saltwater crocodile as the centrepiece that also included cassowaries, Komodo dragons, giant tortoises, and a bunch of exhibit animals.

Spent most of today on the panda community challenge. Now had over 100 births. Also built a temporary exhibit for some extra giraffes and elephants, as a way of keeping them from inbreeding.

Spent some time outside of the game thinking about how I want to implement the new dlc. I know I want these animals in my main franchise zoo eventually, but am thinking I may actual create an aquatic themed zoo first and then add them to my main park later, since a new park would let me run on pause less and thus get to see the animations more. Thinking of something like "SplashZone Aquatic Park", and toying with some ideas of having lots of places where the guests get wet too.

And I must have accidently did something right. If you have the same bug as well, here is what I find out: Try rotating the column/pillar on itself a bit. Now it should toggle. I have this bug too when moving several pieces at once sometimes, but that I can not provoke. It just happens. Lets see if turning things on itself will help then as well.
If anyone of you sees a thread where the issue is reported,feel free to link me to it so I can share this solution.

Interesting, I need to try that. I had this too, kind of randomly.

I am so hyped thanks to the upcoming DLC, so I jumped back into the game today to contemplate where to place the new animals. I know what to do with the otters and the caimans. Not sure if the other two will be added to my current zoo, because I don't want to make a huge indoor space for the seals and penguins and I'm playing in a tropical environment.

What I actually did: I removed everything I'd been trying to do in my last two or three sessions. I was dreaming of some sort of underground Australia adventure with koalas and kangaroos but it wouldn't work out. I then thought I might rework the area into something aquatic, but I don't want a "cold" area next to my Desert Dome.

20201203211433_1.jpg

So I erased everything and started with a nice little walkthrough habitat for the koalas:

20201203223117_1.jpg

So my plan is to maybe "finish" the Australian area this weekend and explore the DLC next week. And I have to decide which other species I want to include in this zoo before starting another idea that I had. The new DLC fits well with what I have in mind, but considering my current "speed", there will be 10 more DLCs until I get there :D

Yesterday I managed to pretty much finish the main backstage area including a couple quarantine pens. It might still need some more detailing and I might change the pathing (or might not because it's reaaally frustrating).

I started the actual zoo but so far nothing worth to be shared.

20201128191622_1.jpg
20201128192138_1.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday I managed to pretty much finish the main backstage area including a couple quarantine pens. It might still need some more detailing and I might change the pathing (or might not because it's reaaally frustrating).

I do absolutely love the Design of your Quarantine Area. I've also wanted to build something like that. Maybe I will do it soon finally. But first I need to completely change the Layout of my Zoo (these poor People need to walk way too much and it doesn't look very good)
How did you make that Stack of Hay? Did you just put a lot of Bedding on Top of each other?

It looks really nice, the buildings are very attractive and tidy if you get what I mean.

I started work on my Swedish zoo from scratch as I wasn’t really happy with it. Also lots of missing species meant I didn’t have much motivation to work on it. I saved the entrance though and began again and the first finished enclosure is for grey seals. I’m sure the new DLC will include some pieces to add though.

Top Bottom