Post Your Support for Elite Odyssey to have VR Support.

Why is this thread still going and people still voting for it? We already know the answer. We've known it for months. Its not going to have VR on release.

Not sure why you keep getting the details wrong on this stuff AA.

EDO content wasn't scheduled to have to any VR support at launch (timeline of statements here). But now VR will be supported for ship & SRV content.

Popular threads like this may have played a role in FDev's decision to include partial VR support.

There are more decisions that many in the VR community would like to see tilt their way over time. (Legs VR in the long term, and tacit mod support in the meantime, for example). So I wouldn't expect everyone to fly quietly into the night ;)

Not sure why you keep getting the details wrong on this stuff AA.

EDO content wasn't scheduled to have to any VR support at launch (timeline of statements here). But now VR will be supported for ship & SRV content.

Popular threads like this may have played a role in FDev's decision to include partial VR support.

There are more decisions that many in the VR community would like to see tilt their way over time. (Legs VR in the long term, and tacit mod support in the meantime, for example). So I wouldn't expect everyone to fly quietly into the night ;)

Ugh.... yes, it is known. Although if you are suggesting that FD were going to remove VR support from ships and SRVs for Odyseey, i think that is people reading things into FD's statements that they were not saying, and of course, FD's usual lack of clarity with statements.

I always took it that when they were referring to Odyssey they were only referring to Odyssey's content.

Meanwhile some people did victory laps when FD clarified their position claiming they had got FD to change their position.

I'm also certain that FD want to do VR for space legs, but if they do it, it will be because they want to and can do it, not because of some post your support thread.

Ugh.... yes, it is known. Although if you are suggesting that FD were going to remove VR support from ships and SRVs for Odyseey, i think that is people reading things into FD's statements that they were not saying, and of course, FD's usual lack of clarity with statements.

I always took it that when they were referring to Odyssey they were only referring to Odyssey's content.

Meanwhile some people did victory laps when FD clarified their position claiming they had got FD to change their position.

I'm also certain that FD want to do VR for space legs, but if they do it, it will be because they want to and can do it, not because of some post your support thread.

Sorry, but that's just not correct. FD explicitly said that players could still continue to play ED in VR by logging in to Horizons. It was clear that they were dropping support for VR entirely in Odyssey.

The fact that they have now said that ships and SRV's will be playable in VR in Odyssey is a very positive and encouraging move. Personally I don't think they will get the FPS gameplay to VR, either because it's not a priority or because they consider it to be more dev effort than it's worth. As I've said previously, I will be happy to be able to fly and drive an SRV in VR in Odyssey, and am not bothered by the lack of it for FPS stuff in VR (I'm not all that interested in FPS gameplay), but I know that plenty of people want that very much, and I hope I am wrong and that they get it.

Whether FD changed their minds due to forum (or other) feedback only they know. But whatever the reason, the multiple threads asking for VR support in Odyssey were not a waste of time.

I'm suggesting that your 'EDO is not going to have VR at launch' is inaccurate, for a start ;). There is partial support.

And I'm just underlining that they shifted their position towards more VR support than was initially mooted.

We can't possibly know if community behaviour had any impact. But it is interesting that:

The 2nd-most upvoted suggestion in forum history endorsed this solution:

A projected flat screen (as seen in Minecraft VR, Touring Karts etc).

And FDev's new approach opted for this solution:

players will be presented with a projected flat game screen in their VR headset in order to continue on foot.

Agreed.

But that doesn't mean that sizeable community action definitely has zero impact. There's always potential to affect prioritisations, chosen solutions etc. If with diminishing returns the bigger, and more costly, the desired change. (And the desired changes which haven't materialised are indeed big & costly ;))

The one thing that is likely true though, is that with attentive CMs on the case, community noise at least keeps the issue on the discussion table. Regardless of the decisions actually made once it's there.

I'm suggesting that your 'EDO is not going to have VR at launch' is inaccurate, for a start ;). There is partial support.

Yes, and i should have made it clear in my post i understood that and meant that. Probably after the first time someone picked up on it i should have gone back to my post and edited it, but i had assumed the conversation had moved on.

Sorry, but that's just not correct. FD explicitly said that players could still continue to play ED in VR by logging in to Horizons. It was clear that they were dropping support for VR entirely in Odyssey.

I've been looking and i can't find that statement in Golgot's linked quotes. I can find where he asked them to confirm it would require logging out from base game/Horizons and logging into Odyssey.

I don't see anything that explicitly states from FD that you wouldn't get VR when playing Odyssey (via launcher) when doing base game or Horizons stuff.

This is something that always confused me, since from a code base perspective i can't understand why it would require different launcher options. That is why I assumed when FD talked about base game and Horizons they were talking about the features rather than launcher choice.

If you can show me a statement where FD explicitly stated it would require you to relog into base game/Horizons to get VR I'd be interested in seeing it. If so, i can only presume they thought they couldn't mix the modes via one launcher option and after reviewing it decided they could.... although, they already allow that anyway, since i launch Horizons without VR and VR users launch Horizons with VR.... so.... erm...

I've been looking and i can't find that statement in Golgot's linked quotes. I can find where he asked them to confirm it would require logging out from base game/Horizons and logging into Odyssey.

I don't see anything that explicitly states from FD that you wouldn't get VR when playing Odyssey (via launcher) when doing base game or Horizons stuff.

This is something that always confused me, since from a code base perspective i can't understand why it would require different launcher options. That is why I assumed when FD talked about base game and Horizons they were talking about the features rather than launcher choice.

If you can show me a statement where FD explicitly stated it would require you to relog into base game/Horizons to get VR I'd be interested in seeing it. If so, i can only presume they thought they couldn't mix the modes via one launcher option and after reviewing it decided they could.... although, they already allow that anyway, since i launch Horizons without VR and VR users launch Horizons with VR.... so.... erm...

Well, it's actually right there if you click the link that Golgot posted in his earlier thread. But since you cannot find it...

Here's the CM bit about VR not being available for Odyssey (under the heading 'Is Elite Dangerous : Odyssey coming to VR?) ;)

And here's the confirmation that one could still play in VR by logging into Horizons (or the base game)

Well, it's actually right there if you click the link that Golgot posted in his earlier thread. But since you cannot find it...

Here's the CM bit about VR not being available for Odyssey (under the heading 'Is Elite Dangerous : Odyssey coming to VR?) ;)

And here's the confirmation that one could still play in VR by logging into Horizons (or the base game)

Yes, i read those, and i like i said, I took it to mean they were talking about Odyssey's features rather than launcher options. I don't see any confirmation that you'd have to log in and out between Horizons and Odyssey.

Of course, i could be reading it wrong. But, you know, FD and clarity of communications...

Yes, i read those, and i like i said, I took it to mean they were talking about Odyssey's features rather than launcher options. I don't see any confirmation that you'd have to log in and out between Horizons and Odyssey.

Of course, i could be reading it wrong. But, you know, FD and clarity of communications...

Fair enough, but it seemed pretty clear to me at the time that they were saying that if I were to select Elite : Dangerous Odyssey from the launcher, there would not be any option to play with a VR headset on, but if I were to select either the base game or Horizons option from the launcher then I would.

As to 'features' being available, I'd presume that if I want those, I would need to select the appropriate login option from the launcher, just as I do today if I want to land on a planet rather than just see it from space. I'm assuming of course that the game will continue to be selectable in the launcher in the way it is now.

I'm also assuming that starting the game with Horizons wouldn't allow me to approach a tenuous atmosphere planet - personally I don't believe that FD are going to give away Odyssey content to Horizons users for free. Perhaps all planets will get a graphics pass when Odyssey launches, including the ones we can land on now in Horizons, but any 'new' content will surely be gated to those who shell out for Odyssey, or who (like me) have the LEP.

And of course since they subsequently announced that players would now be able to log into Odyssey and fly and drive in VR just as we can today in Horizons (and the base game for flying), that this was not what was going to happen initially, and that logging into Odyssey would be a flat screen experience only. So I'm not really clear what semantic argument you are trying to make. What 'features' did you think were going to be available and what ones unavailable in VR according to that initial announcement?

Fair enough, but it seemed pretty clear to me at the time that they were saying that if I were to select Elite : Dangerous Odyssey from the launcher, there would not be any option to play with a VR headset on, but if I were to select either the base game or Horizons option from the launcher then I would.

As to 'features' being available, I'd presume that if I want those, I would need to select the appropriate login option from the launcher, just as I do today if I want to land on a planet rather than just see it from space. I'm assuming of course that the game will continue to be selectable in the launcher in the way it is now.

I'm also assuming that starting the game with Horizons wouldn't allow me to approach a tenuous atmosphere planet - personally I don't believe that FD are going to give away Odyssey content to Horizons users for free. Perhaps all planets will get a graphics pass when Odyssey launches, including the ones we can land on now in Horizons, but any 'new' content will surely be gated to those who shell out for Odyssey, or who (like me) have the LEP.

And of course since they subsequently announced that players would now be able to log into Odyssey and fly and drive in VR just as we can today in Horizons (and the base game for flying), that this was not what was going to happen initially, and that logging into Odyssey would be a flat screen experience only. So I'm not really clear what semantic argument you are trying to make. What 'features' did you think were going to be available and what ones unavailable in VR according to that initial announcement?

My reading of it was you'd log into Horizons, do ship and SRV stuff in VR and legs would be pancake.

Its what I presumed from the start of this whole hoo-ha when people were getitng their panties in a twist, so i've never understood the fuss. Turns out that it is what they are doing. Whether they actually changed their plans (as some people read it in FD's statements) and why they changed their plans, well, i'm not privvy to that information.

I assume that's a mistype... Logging into Horizons and legs would be pancake? Horizons won't have legs...

And logging into Odyssey it was clear that nothing, not flying, not SRV driving and not legs would be VR compatible. If players wanted VR, they would need to log into Horizons or the base game.

Subsequently, logging into Odyssey will now support flying and driving in VR but legs will be pancake. I'd say they changed their plans...

What 'features' did you think were going to be available and what ones unavailable in VR according to that initial announcement?

Ay, this is the thing. Clarification would be nice, but it's relatively immaterial which scenario they meant. (Firewalled EDO content while in VR, or no VR at all on boot of EDO).

The end result was still: No VR access to EDO content at launch.

And the new stance is clearly distinct: Some VR access to EDO content at launch.

Whether they actually changed their plans (as some people read it in FD's statements)...

I've pointed you to this a few times A. They definitely changed their public position on this:

June 2020:

Alec Turner: ...Can we fly ships under blue skies in VR?
Zac Antonaci: ...For now best to assume all Odyssey content is not VR compatible.

September 2020:

Arthur Tolmie: In Odyssey, players will be able to fly down to planets, fly through atmospheres and drive along planet surfaces in their SRVs - all while remaining in VR.

This stuff is more concrete than your suppositions ;)

If I had to take a wild zany guess it would be that "legs" presents challenges for VR in ED that require time and effort to overcome and the return is marginal.

Last edited:
Ay, this is the thing. Clarification would be nice, but it's relatively immaterial which scenario they meant. (Firewalled EDO content while in VR, or no VR at all on boot of EDO).

The end result was still: No VR access to EDO content at launch.

And the new stance is clearly distinct: Some VR access to EDO content at launch.

I've pointed you to this a few times A. They definitely changed their public position on this:

June 2020:

September 2020:

This stuff is more concrete than your suppositions ;)

Again, i always read their references to Odyssey to mean the new content, ie: on foot. Not which launcher option was chosen.

I've been saying this for months.

I should have written a July blog to point to about it.

Yes please.

However, I do see a potential issue with the VR and why they've not allowed it to be a "full VR" experience at the moment. If when you're in your ship view, you move from your current position, you can look around objects with your camera, while your character models stays put. In a fighting environment, you could stand (you character) at the corner of a wall, get up (in real life) and walk with your headset so that it can see around the corner without exposing yourself. Thus the VR experience would need to be tied to both movement of the headset, and movement inputs simultaneously, which could lead to a lot of problematic experiences.

...which could lead to a lot of problematic experiences.

Nah, just drag the avatar along with the HMD, and stop it and the camera moving, when it collides with a wall, just as usual.

I know there is the fear of making people nauseated, with such camera movement restrictions, which is why we still have a recent title like Half Life Alyx still allowing the motion and instead fading to orange, when you stick your head into a wall, but I have little respect for that. :7

Top Bottom