Post Your Support for Elite Odyssey to have VR Support.

Again, i always read their references to Odyssey to mean the new content, ie: on foot. Not which launcher option was chosen.

I've been saying this for months.

I should have written a July blog to point to about it.

Yes, and again... the quotes show you were wrong to think that at the time. FDev were saying something which goes beyond that. (No VR flying under blue skies etc).

You didn’t understand VR heads 'getitng their panties in a twist' because you didn’t understand the scenario.

Last edited:
Yes, and again... the quotes show you were wrong to think that at the time. FDev were saying something which directly contradicted it. (No VR flying under blue skies etc).

You didn’t understand VR heads 'getitng their panties in a twist' because you didn’t understand the scenario.

Fair enough. Perhaps I didn't read it like that because it seemed bizarre to me, since the code is there and working there is no reason to remove it, unless of course they do something that breaks VR.... and I couldn't see space legs doing that.

In the few wonderful hours post-Odyssey reveal and pre-“not at launch” plum-kick, I envisaged something like Subnautica VR’s implementation, so standard controller based stuff, not motion controls.

I still have a vague hope that SBS 3D will be available for the in-helmet feet view, or some hacky version can do its magic, or 🤞 another VR announcement in a few months for some better news 🙂

Fair enough. Perhaps I didn't read it like that because it seemed bizarre to me, since the code is there and working there is no reason to remove it, unless of course they do something that breaks VR.... and I couldn't see space legs doing that.

I think that's very much the point. There was no reason to remove flying and driving in VR, but they did...

At least they have put that support back in. But it reinforces my somewhat cynical view that they don't really want to be bothered with what they see as a niche market (within a niche market). After all, why would you go to the trouble of taking out something that works very well if you fully intend to put back in at some unspecified later date? ;)

My take on it is:

• They focused resourcing on flatscreen alone, because that’s where the money is that can sustain the game’s core ambitions.
  • They hadn’t decided how to square the circle of: VR vehicles + non-VR characters in one product. (It is an unusual scenario). They were leaning towards 'no VR until full VR is possible', as it makes for a more coherent & polished product.
  • The fact that they opted to launch with a slightly sketchy hybrid system in the end is good news for EDVR ultimately. (Or at least, better news than the news that preceded it ;)). It’s fan service, within that budgeting scenario, and suggests a desire to square that circle over time. Both of which are no bad things.

Guess we’ll see ¯\\\(ツ)

Last edited:
I think that's very much the point. There was no reason to remove flying and driving in VR, but they did...

At least they have put that support back in. But it reinforces my somewhat cynical view that they don't really want to be bothered with what they see as a niche market (within a niche market). After all, why would you go to the trouble of taking out something that works very well if you fully intend to put back in at some unspecified later date? ;)

Well, they didn't. They implied it wouldn't be in (the quote Golgot provided - assume it won't be) but then changed the message to it would be later. After all, the message, regardless of interpretation was it would be in the base game and Horizons, so not so much remove, but restricted based on the launcher option chosen.

How interested FD are in continuing to support VR is unknown. Their public statements still seem to say they are interested, and that VR might still come to space legs as well.

But yes, the initial message was strange and naturally caused many people to wonder about their commitment to it.

But, i think we've all felt at times, that what FD says doesn't always reflect the reality, and perhaps sometimes the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing.

+1
I am sure the devs will implement an adequate solution for VR on food. The biggest problem is that the rest of elite is very comfortable in VR because most of the stuff is in a cockpit. I think they are afraid of inducing motion sickness to the more faint hearted among us.

According to some guy on Youtube

" last statement they made said this expansion will phase out vr implementation "

I can't find a source. Someone knows if this is true or not ?

According to some guy on Youtube

" last statement they made said this expansion will phase out vr implementation "

I can't find a source. Someone knows if this is true or not ?

Nah that’s wrong.

The last main statement they made was this, regarding retaining VR support for ships & SRVs:

Their stance on the future addition of Legs VR is this:

Our VR plans are still as we've stated with full integration a possibility in the future but unconfirmed.

This is how one of their game designers sees it:

Elite is obviously a very nice VR game. You sit in the cockpit, and you're in front of the stars. It lends itself perfectly to VR. I'm really glad that we did add VR support because it's pretty awesome, it is quite an experience. Being able to run around on foot, though, is very much a different experience. We're still looking at the way that we would tackle that if we need to. Or if we decide that we think we can get a good way of doing it. And sure, like, that's something that we'll tackle, but for the moment, we have to focus on the actual main experience and getting that working the way that we really want it to feel. So on day one, there won't be any VR support. But we're not saying never, it's just we need to focus our efforts elsewhere right now.

Of course they could well never get to this, and they’re not currently pledging to outright. But they’re definitely not stating they’ll phase out VR as the YTer suggests.

Some older quotes here, which detail FDev’s initial 'No EDO VR at launch' stance. This stuff may be what they’re thinking of?

As a noob to the VR world. I am so impressed some of the titles available it just seems daft for FDev to contemplate abandoning VR given the amount on fanfare that has been about the VR experience in ED.

Rather than some lobby shooter add on to the flight side of ED I'd rather see something along the lines of Mission ISS or Lone Echo added where you actually have full VR functionality in your 'space legs'. Imagine going full EVA to repair something on your ship or to go salvage scrap ala hardspace style but using your VR controllers to pull yourself along and cut up/repair the modules... Now that I'd get hyped for!

I stopped playing Elite last year when it was first announced that VR would not be with Odyssey. However as time has moved along and more information on the subject I will pick this back up with Odyssey later this year hoping to get the HP reverb g2 to go with it, use the Oculus S right now. But if by the time the next paid expansion comes around and Odyssey has no VR by then I'll be done with Elite. I can't play this game without VR it's just not an option, this was the game that sold me on VR to begin with.

I stopped playing Elite last year when it was first announced that VR would not be with Odyssey. However as time has moved along and more information on the subject I will pick this back up with Odyssey later this year hoping to get the HP reverb g2 to go with it, use the Oculus S right now. But if by the time the next paid expansion comes around and Odyssey has no VR by then I'll be done with Elite. I can't play this game without VR it's just not an option, this was the game that sold me on VR to begin with.

But the in cockpit stuff is still going to be VR. it's the 'walking stuff' that isn't... I'm new to VR and loving it so for flying around I'll be VR'ing as usual....

But the in cockpit stuff is still going to be VR. it's the 'walking stuff' that isn't... I'm new to VR and loving it so for flying around I'll be VR'ing as usual....
Yea the cockpit is second to none in VR that along with them hoping to implement VR in Odyssey in the future has made me decide to give this expansion a go, but if down the road future expansions continue to pull away from VR I'll have to put the game aside. Also have to tried Voiceattack awesome program, and there is voice sets you can buy on HCS voice packs.

for flying around I'll be VR'ing as usual
Probably if it wasn't for our little pitchfork campaign, you wouldn't be VR'ing in odyssey at all. It was meant to be removed from odyssey altogether. Luckily they backtraced and cobbled together a workaround which will allow you to "VR" under blue skies on odyssey planets. Previously for VR to even work you'd be forced to switch to horizons (so presumably bye bye tenuous atmospheres).

Top Bottom