New Odyssey Article - more on planet generation

you're getting soft, facta. a transcript, yes please?
I subcontract that shizzle out to Stewie ;)

Planet tech info from Dr Ross:

Where before we had a generator for rocky surfaces and one for ice surfaces which both took Stellar Forge inputs, we now have terrains and terrain materials of various different types and scales which are deterministically selected and blended together depending on the Stellar Forge driven properties of that planet.​
Landable planets are still classified between rocky, icy, rocky ice, high metal content and metal rich depending on what emerges from the Stellar Forge simulation, but their terrains are dependent on those simulation values more than these discrete titles. Terrain shapes, styles, and combinations are mixed together, meaning there is a lot of variation within these classes.​
As with everything in Elite Dangerous, the planets are full sized, and so it is a challenge to ensure that the resources we make work on all scales, work with each other, and provide detail all the way from orbit to the surface. I think we’ve done a grand job selling the scale of these things.​
Across a planet there is now a large scale mask processed which determines different zones of types of terrain based. The mask depends on things like how gravitationally stressed the planet is, the crust thickness and if the planet is, or has been, tectonically active. These zones mask out further subzones of terrain and material types, and follow the flow patterns laid out by the layer above it, creating a seamless landscape across the planet.​

This were fun at 90´s, it will be even more fun now that I have billions of credits already in my bank:

View attachment 203489
Reminds me of time I took one passanger to some huuge system. And passanger raged a lot about travel time. Well mr busyman, you bought a ticket to some pretty huge system in Panther Clipper, ship NOT known for its raging acceleration performance, what did you expect? Some faster than light intrasystem magic? :D

Always reliable for my copy pasta needs thanks.

Edit: ignore everything written below

Am I right in saying this appears to suggest the work is done to support worlds other than just ice and rock? That, maybe not at launch, we can look forward to the metal content worlds being accessible as well?

I'm 99% sure there's been no mention of metal rich or high metal content worlds to this point (and they're definitely not landable now).

I'd take it to mean planet types can have features that are archetypally associated with other classes. So we get more variety and nuance, like an Icy World might have some rocky outcrops where underlying solid geology is exposed above the planetwide glaciation, or a rocky world having detailed ice caps at the poles (they can have ice caps of a sort now, but it's quite simplistically rendered).

As for metal rich and high metal content worlds. Unless I'm misunderstanding you, no that's wrong.

High metal content and metal rich planets are absolutely landable at the moment and I don't think there's any real doubt that Odyssey will feature both the existing airless ones (with improvements) and new thin-atmosphere ones.

The only HMC and Metal Rich planets we can't land on currently are ones with atmosphere (and "hell world" types with lava oceans, which I think are pretty much all thick atmospheric due to the gases emitted so very unlikely to be in Odyssey).

Edit: sorry, missed your edit 😂

That actually sounds pretty concerning, because that might indicate the playerbase will be divided anyway.

Of course it will. Odyssey wont be free, and not everyone will buy it. Same as with Horizons. It´ll be ´together´ for all shared parts, but ´divided´ in some ways. In case you didn´t know, if you are on a planet in your SRV and someone blows up your ship, you can login into to non-horizon version and you'll be in orbit in your ship again. We are already divided. :)

Of course it will. Odyssey wont be free, and not everyone will buy it. Same as with Horizons. It´ll be ´together´ for all shared parts, but ´divided´ in some ways. In case you didn´t know, if you are on a planet in your SRV and someone blows up your ship, you can login into to non-horizon version and you'll be in orbit in your ship again. We are already divided. :)
Can one still, weren't games re-united meaning everyone has Horizons nowadays?

Can one still, weren't games re-united meaning everyone has Horizons nowadays?

Everyone was given Horizons but the base game is still in the launcher. Some legacy machines can run the base game but not Horizons, and it's used as a troubleshooting tool for escaping when stuck in surface geometry etc. so thankfully it's still there.

It just won't be getting any new iterative updates, presumably.

I know that. Been there, done that.
But if new settlements are added to old planets and we know now for sure on-foot gameplay will be possible on Horizons planets, that may mean you will not be able to meet a Horizons player on the same planet whatsoever - even if he's in SRV, not on foot. Do you catch my drift? Not being able to land on a planet is one thing, not being able to meet a guy in the same spot of a planet is a whole different story.

Options to select while negotiating npc mission.

1. Beg for more credits and tell the NPC your kids are going hungry.
2. Wave your pistol in npc's face and ask for 30% more credits.
3. Show me the money!
4. I'm triple Elite and I decide how much you're going to pay me!
5. Bribe with some Lavian Brandy.

But if new settlements are added to old planets and we know now for sure on-foot gameplay will be possible on Horizons planets, that may mean you will not be able to meet a Horizons player on the same planet whatsoever - even if he's in SRV, not on foot. Do you catch my drift? Not being able to land on a planet is one thing, not being able to meet a guy in the same spot of a planet is a whole different story.
Tell him to buy Odyssey?

I think division is pretty much that non-Odyssey players can not land or fly at Odyssey worlds just like now, walk inside stations / outposts /settlements and can not take part in FPS even at Horizon world except with a space ship (air support for Odyssey foot soldiers) or in a SRV (ground support and scouting).

Horizon did not prevent only base game owners entering same conflict zones, and I expect same from Odyssey (except Odyssey planets with atmosphere, where most FPS probably is anyways).

I think division is pretty much that non-Odyssey players can not land or fly at Odyssey worlds just like now, walk inside stations / outposts /settlements and can not take part in FPS even at Horizon world except with a space ship (air support for Odyssey foot soldiers) or in a SRV (ground support and scouting).

Horizon did not prevent only base game owners entering conflict zones, and I except same from Odyssey (except Odyssey planets with atmosphere, where most FPS probably is anyways).

Two problems:
1. will Horizons player even see new settlements on OLD Horizons planet and ride in SRV around, just not be able to get out of it and get into the buildings?
2. will Horizons player actually see people walking around?

The player base isn't that great to begin with so preventing any interactions between Horizons and Odyssey players save space encounters would be kinda dissappointing (as lack of crossplay is, but it's probably not FDev fault).

But what the shared parts will be?

I am curious about the same thing:
I am assuming, until Fdev say otherwise, that if I am Horizons and I am at Dav's Hope using my SRV to collect mats, that I would be in a separate instance from an Odyssey player also at Dav's Hope at the same time, even if we are both in Open.

Unless the planet tech goes into Horizons, I think its inevitable a player cannot be in the same instance as an Odyssey player. The planets will look different, what is available POI wise will be different and potentially EDO player could be landing their ship on driving their SRV on different terrain to the EDH player.

Two problems:
1. will Horizons player even see new settlements on OLD Horizons planet and ride in SRV around, just not be able to get out of it and get into the buildings?
2. will Horizons player actually see people walking around?

The player base isn't that great to begin with so preventing any interactions between Horizons and Odyssey players save space encounters would be kinda dissappointing (as lack of crossplay is, but it's probably not FDev fault).

1. and 2. I would assume so from experiences of Horizon-dlc, all players were able to be in same instance, except Horizon planets were only for those with DLC.
And we already have those settlements at planets and can drive in and around them with our SRV´s.
Naturally they might get a makeover for Odyssey+Horizon in graphics, "foot-entrance only" and so on.

It would not make any sense that one could drive around in the same planet with same graphics and settlement, but not see others.

And I assume that npc´s are the same, as players, you can see them walking (just like you can now see npc ships and stuff happening at stations), but it is just you who can not walk but just sit there and watch them having fun (so much you wanna buy DLC and join them). :)
It will require update for Horizon also ofc to set people walking around, same as for Odyssey.

Top Bottom