General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I’m in Brighton and we had local reports of a few parties busted, one organised and attended by Londoners, but it was less than expected by authorities.
Brighton’s a university town as well as tourist attraction so there were some students etc looking to party on the beach but they weren’t allowed to start.
I feel people here are being mostly responsible, although it’s no way as quiet on the streets as during the first lockdown.
I think the local press didn’t have too much to report over New Years, normally they’re known for headlines...
View attachment 203544
It's the Canadian Geese I'm worried about...

Oh, combined more than I think all the Wars the USA was involved in . Numer of deaths/Day exceeds 9/11...every day .
The 1860s civil war, took about 650,000 in the US. That is a 'best guess' and most state, that is a good base line to work from. The main issue, was that most the dead, in the later stages; had basically, just got off of the immigrants boats.

The 1860s civil war, took about 650,000 in the US. That is a 'best guess' and most state, that is a good base line to work from. The main issue, was that most the dead, in the later stages; had basically, just got off of the immigrants boats.

Yeah, I was imprecise in the wording . "USA was involved in" ofc literally has to include the Civil War . What I wrote actually meant Wars after that event .

Sorry, that was misleading .

Yeah, I was imprecise in the wording . "USA was involved in" ofc literally has to include the Civil War . What I wrote actually meant Wars after that event .

Sorry, that was misleading .
what you said, is not really misleading: As you are about right, the total covid deaths in the U.S. are surpassing all of the US deaths, in all of the wars they have fought in for the last 100 years. WW1 & WW2, Korea, Vietnam, the Gulf I & II, Afghanistan etc.. All added together, do not give you a number equal to those who have died in the last 12 months, from Covid19

To me, I think that it is ironic, when you notice the parallels between now and the 1860s.

Little bit more on aspirin:

(Not sure if we covered this obvious stuff before)
Source: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=YhA64eFCDL0

Not everybody can take aspirin.

For most people general guidelines might include-
If you have been exposed to a coronavirus infection, and are still OK/at home, useful steps are... actual steps.
Walking vigorously for 15 minutes twice a day will shift white cells off your blood vessel walls, increasing innate immunity. It also prevents leg clots.
Drinking enough water reduces viscousity in blood, reducing clots.
Consuming leafy greens like spinach dilates arteries, reducing clots from blocking off flow. Yes this is a same HOUR effect. Similar effect with the flaxseed, normal dose is 2 tablespoons spread out over a day. Science on that is well established.

You would want to avoid a high fat intake, that makes coagulation go up. Biggest problem with keto approach at the moment.

There are other more dubious ideas like contrast showers. Yes, the biology is plausible, no there's no evidence at all. Sleeping for a straight 8 to 9 hours can really help immune responses, so that's worthwhile. Previously covered on Medcram.

Simple stuff. Big impact. Should be done all the time as our main regular killers are the clotting diseases strokes, and heart attacks.

Have a look at this (the most widely referenced source) - you can see total figures and figures per 100,000 population:

Even with stats like this it relies on everyone reporting the same thing (which they probably aren’t).

In the UK we are counting anyone that has died within 30 days of a positive test (as I’m sure you know) so you could get hit by a bus a week after a positive COVID-19 test and you died of COVID even if you fully recovered. I don’t imagine China is doing that (or many other countries really, it was probably a knee jerk overreaction to all the care home deaths that got unintentionally missed in the first few months).

Excess deaths for the time of year makes sense so I can see why people talk about that. I expect we will do badly using that too though; the message was to stay away from the NHS to save lives so deaths from pretty much everything in the UK have probably gone up as a consequence ☹️

Excess deaths for the time of year makes sense so I can see why people talk about that. I expect we will do badly using that too though; the message was to stay away from the NHS to save lives so deaths from pretty much everything in the UK have probably gone up as a consequence
Not even sure how good excess deaths will be as a measure

• Traffic Accident Deaths - probably will be down as less people are commuting
  • Flu deaths - probably down - they've been trying to immunise more, and people are out less
  • Slips and Falls - might be up - more people trying to get out and exercise
  • Suicides - probably up for obvious reasons

This year all the norms change, so it's much more difficult to measure against a baseline. But I am no expert.

Not even sure how good excess deaths will be as a measure

• Traffic Accident Deaths - probably will be down as less people are commuting
  • Flu deaths - probably down - they've been trying to immunise more, and people are out less
  • Slips and Falls - might be up - more people trying to get out and exercise
  • Suicides - probably up for obvious reasons

This year all the norms change, so it's much more difficult to measure against a baseline. But I am no expert.

Yeah, it’s really complicated and utterly depressing really ☹️

I wonder how the media reacts in other countries. I think many of our problems are down to the media here.

They are always trying to blame and whip up anger. I listen to LBC lots so heard both parts the whole “is a scotch egg a substantial meal” thing, All these people do is find a boundary, push and push questions around that boundary then make a song and dance about it when someone gives a silly answer.

It would be much more helpful if the media didn’t automatically try to make everything the government comes out with confusing by trying to pick around the edge cases and calling it confusing (when it mostly isn’t). Everything has to be opposed and attacked but I don’t think it is helpful.

I heard it again the other day. A scientist was being backed into to a corner to give a sound bite about wether or not the virus was out of control in London and he wouldn’t play. The interviewer kept trying and trying and the scientist eventually said he would not say something where what he said would be miscommunicated. Good for him 👍

I get the need for a free press and I’d never want it changed but I can’t help but think our media needs it’s moral compass recalibrated!

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom