General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wonder how the media reacts in other countries. I think many of our problems are down to the media here.

They are always trying to blame and whip up anger. I listen to LBC lots so heard both parts the whole “is a scotch egg a substantial meal” thing, All these people do is find a boundary, push and push questions around that boundary then make a song and dance about it when someone gives a silly answer.

It would be much more helpful if the media didn’t automatically try to make everything the government comes out with confusing by trying to pick around the edge cases and calling it confusing (when it mostly isn’t). Everything has to be opposed and attacked but I don’t think it is helpful.

I heard it again the other day. A scientist was being backed into to a corner to give a sound bite about wether or not the virus was out of control in London and he wouldn’t play. The interviewer kept trying and trying and the scientist eventually said he would not say something where what he said would be miscommunicated. Good for him 👍

I get the need for a free press and I’d never want it changed but I can’t help but think our media needs it’s moral compass recalibrated!
i think you have to understand the individual motives of the station. Most, if not all, have to have a leaning; or two.

I don't 100% understand why: But I have an aversion to LBC. This might be, because all i know, is what i see on the box sometimes and i see, is lots of people, trying to tell lies or not to answer the question. Also in my own opinion; the people asking the questions, don't seem to care.

I really hate, that mainstream broadcasters, will keep showing (shall we say) a potty mouth? Again and again, all day. They can edit it after an hour and take every stupid word and leave the important and relevant facts. Why not?

People went to pubs and restaurants but they wore masks when not sat at tables as the rules dictate. I can’t help but think the UK is being singled out when it isn’t fair.

People are mostly complying with the rules here. What a few protesters do in the capital city doesn’t reflect the 99.9% of people that aren’t protesting in the capital city do.
Yes I understand, the virus infects millions of people and kills tens of thousands, in England (and others countries of course), just by chance.

People are absolutely not responsible for what happens to them.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

What really winds me up is when the media talks about what people want when they just made that up themselves. A fantastic example would probably be Christmas. I wanted to know what would happen at Christmas but I understood it would be very dynamic.

But the media pushed and pushed until they forced the government to come out with a plan. When the (Governments) changed tack because it was so dynamic they probably should never have committed to anything in the first place; they got attacked for ruining Christmas by the same people that demanded they commit to something.

If our death rates go completely mad they will the media will blame it on people meeting at Christmas....
The CBI were really pushing for a plan.

This is an issue in this part of the planet. By this I mean, being ask or expected to change something, at a moments notice. Most will go into meltdown, when told and yet, when faced with something like an earth quake?

They make do, at a moments notice. It is the being 'told' you have to re-think, you lives, your business etc. etc. That causes your 'unknown issues'.

I would hope that there have been well over 1,000 new food delivery businesses started in the last 12 months. Yet we have food outlets, whining in the same towns; that kids are going hungry.

Unfortunately the media has their role to play, in these things.

That just goes to show how complicated it all is.

I live on my own and my job is super secure but my alcohol consumption has gone through the roof. I’m gay so I’m used to living without things others take for granted, but this situation has taken most of the replacements away.

I can’t see any of my friends or family and I can’t go on holiday. Given those parameters I’m probably a suicide risk on paper. I’m not in reality but this hasn’t been easy and it’s a good thing that the government has considered mental health.
Yep. Book a call from your Doc. Have a chat, they will nag about the boose etc., but it should be good advice.

Everything in moderation :D

Humanity for all it’s faults, is part of this amazing universe! Whilst you enjoy your woody walks, remember we are all part of that, and that there’s beauty in imperfection.
You can’t save the world, but you can be a safe place.
I understand your fine words.

Until now I slept very well at night. 10 million dead will not change anything to my sweet nights.

Total indifference and no compassion, now.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

I was just referencing your watering-down of the Covid-19-related deaths. As the graphs show there are quite clearly excess deaths, well outside the "normal range", especially over the two periods (spring and winter). Suggesting that "... you could get hit by a bus a week after a positive COVID-19 test ... " ignores that those "hit by a bus" deaths would fall within the "normal range". So making such suggestions is erroneously minimising the effect of the pandemic. Such are the arguments of the "conspiracy theorists" (I am not suggesting that you are one).

It is certainly true that there must be excess deaths due to people not seeking medical attention or having procedures delayed / postponed - I have not seen a statistical analysis or projection for such casualties though.

P.S. I was not upset, just wanted to bring a point of clarification.
To be honest. I don't think that those two number differences, are the heart of the issue. The issue, is where they come from and collated by whom? Then you can go back and see how they were/are being measured, etc. etc.. There is just as much chance, of 'heart failure' on the paperwork, as Covid and both are correct, except in some cases, the Heart may have been affected, by unknown covid.

But once again, it is just a game about numbers.

I wonder how the media reacts in other countries. I think many of our problems are down to the media here.
I get the need for a free press and I’d never want it changed but I can’t help but think our media needs it’s moral compass recalibrated!

I don't 100% understand why: But I have an aversion to LBC. This might be, because all i know, is what i see on the box sometimes and i see, is lots of people, trying to tell lies or not to answer the question. Also in my own opinion; the people asking the questions, don't seem to care.

don't complain. you guys have tim sebastian over there who is more than okay. he once destroyed a spanish minister so completely that he ran out of the interview. even tim was shocked by the reaction. the guy was an intolerant bigot not used to get asked real questions. spanish establishment figures are used to get a massage (to put it in puritan family friendly terms), not an actual interview with real questions.

People who meet at Christmas are irresponsible.

They can be sick now, It's not my problem and it will not prevent me from sleeping.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
Nothing to do with school being open, for months. Christmas? I would say that more people used Skype, or face timed or whatever this season, than ever before. I would go on to say, exponentially more. Most tried, but this season, is really about the kids, for the kids etc. etc.

Nothing to do with school being open, for months. Christmas? I would say that more people used Skype, or face timed or whatever this season, than ever before. I would go on to say, exponentially more. Most tried, but this season, is really about the kids, for the kids etc. etc.
Certainly a lot of people were quite disciplined at Christmas but many went to other areas to see family.

As if it was a drama to spend Christmas without seeing grandparents, uncles and aunts and cousins.

Are there not more important things in the life ?

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

don't complain. you guys have tim sebastian over there who is more than okay. he once destroyed a spanish minister so completely that he ran out of the interview. even tim was shocked by the reaction. the guy was an intolerant bigot not used to get asked real questions. spanish establishment figures are used to get a massage (to put it in puritan family friendly terms), not an actual interview with real questions.
OK. This is not politics. But I was thinking, an honest; I don't care, 'ANSWER THE QUESTION', Lord Chump best potential, next career move. Let him interview someone like, the little randy Italian guy, with paint on hair. I think he use to run the country. Let him interview, people like that and Gorden LOUD mouth chief, etc.. It would have a massive audunce, thinking about it: It already has.

It's fair to say that most people I see in the street here aren't masked - including me.

But then it depends what on you mean by "in the street".

If I'm in a static queue or a crowded area outside I will put the mask on.
Thanks for confirming what I saw (y) Sometimes some make me doubt what I see with my eyes and I wonder if I'm crazy :)

I understand your position but I think with the current situation in England the mask should be mandatory everywhere and all the time.

If it is not obligatory, then we do not complain and we do not cry when people die by the thousands.

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

Certainly a lot of people were quite disciplined at Christmas but many went to other areas to see family.

As if it was a drama to spend Christmas without seeing grandparents, uncles and aunts and cousins.

Are there not more important things in the life ?

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
To some, family is a massive thing. Not me I am afraid, but for many, that have stuck to the rules, for how long and in some ways; have had enough, with not seeing people. These same people have been told. Schools are safe spaces.

It's fair to say that most people I see in the street here aren't masked - including me.

But then it depends what on you mean by "in the street".

If I'm in a static queue or a crowded area outside I will put the mask on.
In Kensington Palace Gardens Saturday January 9, 2021.

Jardins.jpg

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Thanks for confirming what I saw (y) Sometimes some make me doubt what I see with my eyes and I wonder if I'm crazy :)

I understand your position but I think with the current situation in England the mask should be mandatory everywhere and all the time.

If it is not obligatory, then we do not complain and we do not cry when people die by the thousands.

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷
It should be 'seen' as obligatory. One rule simple. Mixing with others, wear a mask. End of. Want it better? If you can hear them, wear a mask.

Transport for London, sent me a do not travel thing. About 300 words and every cop-out cause, was high-lighted, with a link.

To some, family is a massive thing. Not me I am afraid, but for many, that have stuck to the rules, for how long and in some ways; have had enough, with not seeing people. These same people have been told. Schools are safe spaces.
They have no excuses. In our time there is the telephone, the internet, social networks. People can communicate every day.

A small sacrifice for a Christmas or two is not an insurmountable thing.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

That is what they are starting to say here - at least in crowded situations.

My understanding about it is that it's much safer in the open air than it is indoors - providing you generally avoid someones exhaust plume unmasked, and definitely don't hang around in it.

Even if I'm in a shop I don't feel endangered being around other people as long as it's a brief passing (assuming we're both masked). I could be wrong of course but I'm going on my experience since March (and for several months we were passing each other indoors unmasked) but as far as I know I haven't caught it so far which means either;

I've had an asymptomatic or very mild version - possible, who knows?

I'm immune - possible but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

The measures I've taken so far have protected me - possible, who knows?

Or, I haven't encountered anyone infectious at all so the measures I've taken haven't been tested - this seems unlikely given I'm in the UK and the infection rate - but maybe I just haven't been close enough.

I personally know roughly 14 people who have been infected so far, some recent are still suffering, others who have recovered and one who died within 3 weeks (elderly, pre-existing conditions - but no sign of being about to die pre-infection and housebound - so the infection was unfortunately brought to her by either her 2 carers or one of of her sons - none of whom tested positive as far as we know. It took her lungs, one of her kidneys and she was in pain).

That is what they are starting to say here - at least in crowded situations.

My understanding about it is that it's much safer in the open air than it is indoors - providing you generally avoid someones exhaust plume unmasked, and definitely don't hang around in it.

Even if I'm in a shop I don't feel endangered being around other people as long as it's a brief passing (assuming we're both masked). I could be wrong of course but I'm going on my experience since March (and for several months we were passing each other indoors unmasked) but as far as I know I haven't caught it so far which means either;

I've had an asymptomatic or very mild version - possible, who knows?

I'm immune - possible but I certainly wouldn't bet on it.

The measures I've taken so far have protected me - possible, who knows?

Or, I haven't encountered anyone infectious at all so the measures I've taken haven't been tested - this seems unlikely given I'm in the UK and the infection rate - but maybe I just haven't been close enough.

I personally know roughly 14 people who have been infected so far, some recent are still suffering, others who have recovered and one who died within 3 weeks (elderly, pre-existing conditions - but no sign of being about to die pre-infection and housebound - so the infection was unfortunately brought to her by either her 2 carers or one of of her sons - none of whom tested positive as far as we know. It took her lungs, one of her kidneys and she was in pain).

The odds of you never having been near one are next to zero. I have our local Corona app, I rarely leave my house and I have had 'mild exoosure' warnings about half a dozen times.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom