General / Off-Topic The safest place

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
I wonder how the media reacts in other countries. I think many of our problems are down to the media here.
The press in the UK is awful - I stopped listening to most of the press sections of gov briefing - because so much is "how bad do you feel about things". I was actually impressed when they televised one of the parliament select committees and they asked useful questions about vaccine delays, PPE provisions - actually held the gov to account and pressed for them to do better.

Not even sure how good excess deaths will be as a measure

• Traffic Accident Deaths - probably will be down as less people are commuting
  • Flu deaths - probably down - they've been trying to immunise more, and people are out less
  • Slips and Falls - might be up - more people trying to get out and exercise
  • Suicides - probably up for obvious reasons

This year all the norms change, so it's much more difficult to measure against a baseline. But I am no expert.

Fun fact: in Japan excess mortality was down due to a sharp decline in suicide rate. Working from home has been a much needed break for many employees.

Last edited:
The press in the UK is awful - I stopped listening to most of the press sections of gov briefing - because so much is "how bad do you feel about things". I was actually impressed when they televised one of the parliament select committees and they asked useful questions about vaccine delays, PPE provisions - actually held the gov to account and pressed for them to do better.

What really winds me up is when the media talks about what people want when they just made that up themselves. A fantastic example would probably be Christmas. I wanted to know what would happen at Christmas but I understood it would be very dynamic.

But the media pushed and pushed until they forced the government to come out with a plan. When the (Governments) changed tack because it was so dynamic they probably should never have committed to anything in the first place; they got attacked for ruining Christmas by the same people that demanded they commit to something.

If our death rates go completely mad they will the media will blame it on people meeting at Christmas....

What really winds me up is when the media talks about what people want when they just made that up themselves. A fantastic example would probably be Christmas. I wanted to know what would happen at Christmas but I understood it would be very dynamic.

But the media pushed and pushed until they forced the government to come out with a plan. When the (Governments) changed tack because it was so dynamic they probably should never have committed to anything in the first place; they got attacked for ruining Christmas by the same people that demanded they commit to something.

If our death rates go completely mad they will the media will blame it on people meeting at Christmas....
The media is not to blame. The problem with people is that they are always looking for someone else to blame for their own actions

Fun fact: in Japan excess mortality was down due to a sharp decline in suicide rate. Working from home has been a month needed break for many employees.

That just goes to show how complicated it all is.

I live on my own and my job is super secure but my alcohol consumption has gone through the roof. I’m gay so I’m used to living without things others take for granted, but this situation has taken most of the replacements away.

I can’t see any of my friends or family and I can’t go on holiday. Given those parameters I’m probably a suicide risk on paper. I’m not in reality but this hasn’t been easy and it’s a good thing that the government has considered mental health.

In the UK we are counting anyone that has died within 30 days of a positive test (as I’m sure you know) so you could get hit by a bus a week after a positive COVID-19 test and you died of COVID even if you fully recovered. ....

Excess deaths for the time of year makes sense so I can see why people talk about that. I expect we will do badly using that too though; the message was to stay away from the NHS to save lives so deaths from pretty much everything in the UK have probably gone up as a consequence ☹

You are being disingenuous - by accident or design I don't know. Here is a snapshot of my region (which is very low on the case rate, out of 149 English UTLAs it was less than 130th) - I have cut out the actual area:

covid.jpg

You can check your own region or whatever for comparison.

You are being disingenuous - by accident or design I don't know. Here is a snapshot of my region (which is very low on the case rate, out of 149 English UTLAs it was less than 130th) - I have cut out the actual area:

View attachment 203626

You can check your own region or whatever for comparison.

I’m really not? Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I don’t understand how I have upset you. I wasn’t disagreeing with you.

More than 80,000 dead and 3 million Covid cases in the UK.

I just saw the streets of London on the TV news. Thousands of people without masks, the police without masks..

I just saw on the news on TV, the streets of Paris (more than 67,000 dead in France). Hundreds of young people in the streets without masks drinking alcohol.

Should I continue to have compassion for these countries ?

United States ? They reap what they sowed.

You can die by the thousands, be sick by the millions, I won't cry for you anymore. 🥳

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

I’m really not? Sorry if I gave the wrong impression. I don’t understand how I have upset you. I wasn’t disagreeing with you.

I was just referencing your watering-down of the Covid-19-related deaths. As the graphs show there are quite clearly excess deaths, well outside the "normal range", especially over the two periods (spring and winter). Suggesting that "... you could get hit by a bus a week after a positive COVID-19 test ... " ignores that those "hit by a bus" deaths would fall within the "normal range". So making such suggestions is erroneously minimising the effect of the pandemic. Such are the arguments of the "conspiracy theorists" (I am not suggesting that you are one).

It is certainly true that there must be excess deaths due to people not seeking medical attention or having procedures delayed / postponed - I have not seen a statistical analysis or projection for such casualties though.

P.S. I was not upset, just wanted to bring a point of clarification.

More than 80,000 dead and 3 million Covid cases in the UK.

I just saw the streets of London on the TV news. Thousands of people without masks, the police without masks..

I just saw on the news on TV, the streets of Paris (more than 67,000 dead in France). Hundreds of young people in the streets without masks drinking alcohol.

Should I continue to have compassion for these countries ?

You can die by the thousands, be sick by the millions, I won't cry for you anymore. 🥳

🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠🦠😷

I hardly see anyone without masks on where I live in England. I don’t see that many without them on TV either. It’s probably the sensationalist media trying to wind you up.

I was just referencing your watering-down of the Covid-19-related deaths. As the graphs show there are quite clearly excess deaths, well outside the "normal range", especially over the two periods (spring and winter). Suggesting that "... you could get hit by a bus a week after a positive COVID-19 test ... " ignores that those "hit by a bus" deaths would fall within the "normal range". So making such suggestions is erroneously minimising the effect of the pandemic. Such are the arguments of the "conspiracy theorists" (I am not suggesting that you are one).

It is certainly true that there must be excess deaths due to people not seeking medical attention or having procedures delayed / postponed - I have not seen a statistical analysis or projection for such casualties though.

You misread him. He is saying that due to everything that is happening all sorts of causes of death have changed rates. Some up, some down. It makes it hard to compare with normal times simply because the virus itself isn't the only change.

So it could be excess death suggests more people died due to COVID, but it could also be the opposite. It is a very difficult dataset to analyze. As is often the case in non-experimental settings.

I wasn’t trying to water them down but the extreme I was using is true. There are bound to be countries doing the opposite that hide covid deaths. That’s what I trying to point out.

You misread him. He is saying that due to everything that is happening all sorts of causes of death have changed rates. Some up, some down. It makes it hard to compare with normal times simply because the virus itself isn't the only change.

So it could be excess death suggests more people died due to COVID, but it could also be the opposite. It is a very difficult dataset to analyze. As is often the case in non-experimental settings.

Exactly

Even with stats like this it relies on everyone reporting the same thing (which they probably aren’t).

In the UK we are counting anyone that has died within 30 days of a positive test (as I’m sure you know) so you could get hit by a bus a week after a positive COVID-19 test and you died of COVID even if you fully recovered. I don’t imagine China is doing that (or many other countries really, it was probably a knee jerk overreaction to all the care home deaths that got unintentionally missed in the first few months).

Excess deaths for the time of year makes sense so I can see why people talk about that. I expect we will do badly using that too though; the message was to stay away from the NHS to save lives so deaths from pretty much everything in the UK have probably gone up as a consequence ☹
That's the place to go to. I think we can say, it is honest and fair with its numbers etc..

The 28 days thing, is a fair assessment, but we can guarantee, someone is correlating the numbers.

Too many is too many. Top of the league targets, 'is' too many deaths, no matter what the numbers are..

I hardly see anyone without masks on where I live in England. I don’t see that many without them on TV either. It’s probably the sensationalist media trying to wind you up.
Not at all.

It is the official and serious TV, I saw thousands of people and many policemen without masks in the streets, one on the other.

Also I learned that before this major crisis in England, people crowded in Pubs and restaurants.

In France they plan a catastrophe as in England, in a few weeks. But in France, people also need to crowd into shops and supermarkets to consume, consume and still consume.

Every day that passes leaves me more and more indifferent to the disaster.

I finished crying for the others (although I didn't cry much before already). No compassion now.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Not at all.

It is the official and serious TV, I saw thousands of people and many policemen without masks in the streets, one on the other.

Also I learned that before this major crisis in England, people crowded in Pubs and restaurants.

In France they plan a catastrophe as in England, in a few weeks. But in France, people also need to crowd into shops and supermarkets to consume, consume and still consume.

I finished crying for the others (although I didn't cry much before already). No compassion now.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

People went to pubs and restaurants but they wore masks when not sat at tables as the rules dictate. I can’t help but think the UK is being singled out when it isn’t fair.

People are mostly complying with the rules here. What a few protesters do in the capital city doesn’t reflect the 99.9% of people that aren’t protesting in the capital city do.

Tonight on TV some said: "Young people must be understood, they make so many sacrifices for several months, they need to have a little fun".

Others replied: "Sacrifices? The young people of 14-18 and 39-45, them, they made sacrifices".

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷

Not at all.

🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 🦠 😷
Humanity for all it’s faults, is part of this amazing universe! Whilst you enjoy your woody walks, remember we are all part of that, and that there’s beauty in imperfection.
You can’t save the world, but you can be a safe place.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom