Ships Advice on engineering my Chieftain

Here is my build. This ship is for my first dedicated combat build.

I plan to start engineering weapons first. I wasn't sure whether I should go with OC or rapid fire with the multis. The pulse lasers not sure whether to go rapid fire or long range.

The rest I have no idea how to engineer it other than increased range for my fsd.

Any ideas or suggestions appreciated!

I would go with OC or short range blaster on the MCs, rapid fire chews through ammo super fast. OC & SRB will have nearly identical damage, with OC not losing range and upping distributor draw a bit. I usually go SRB on Chieftains as I'm usually up close and personal, but distributor draw isn't that big of a deal on MCs for the most part, and the range that is lost with SRB can sometimes be missed with runners. Rapid fire pulse are nice, but suffer from drop off like anything else other than long range (past 1.5-2k it really becomes weak). It depends how you fly, if you keep your engagements close, then rapid fire will probably out do long range. They also build up heat pretty fast, a thermal vent beam or two may help with that (if it is a problem, might not be, not sure never ran 4 rapid fire pulse on one). If you can hit with fixed MCs good for you, but I wouldn't hesitate to go gimbal with them to help with time on target. I would personally go autoloader on both large MCs and use one of the smalls or the medium on the bottom for an MC with corrosive assuming gimballed MCs, if fixed you would definitely want to use a small because it converges with the larges assuming you use a 3rd mc for corrosive to keep both larges rocking nonstop with auto loader. If you stick with just the two large as MC, go auto loader on one and corrosive on the other.

You can run a size 6 Bi-Weave, thermal resist and low draw (to keep it from draining SYS quite as fast) or fast charge which will require an extra pip or two to get them back up a couple seconds faster than low draw would. Resist augmentation on one booster and heavy duty on the other, both with super capacitor (could go resist on both too if you want). You could also keep the 5 bi-weave and go with a 6 SCB, but without a Guardian Shield Reinforcement or two the SCB will probably charge more than your total shield value and be overkill. If you don't mind the weight, you can run a B SCB instead of an A for an extra charge (albeit a touch weaker per charge, it will be more in total).

Heavy duty deep plating on the hull/armor and all hull reinforcements other than the smallest HRP which you can throw thermal resist deep plating on to get some really nice resists across the board.

Dirty drag drives on the thrusters is pretty much always the right answer. Keep the 4d sensors and go long range on it (don't even have to hit G5, I often leave them at 3 or 4). Armored PP. Charge enhanced super conduit PD. I would personally use chaff before a PD. AFMU if you want it, but not really needed imo.

Slight alterations from your posted build got me this, and I didn't do any engineering to the weapons.

It is an amazing combat ship once all decked out, and I'm not saying there is one right way to do it, that is just what I would start with if in your shoes. Ultimately some trial and error will get you to whatever works best for you.

Also, that is all assuming PVE. I've had a build very close to that survive wing ganks (barely), but I'm not one to offer PVP advice past running away.

Last edited:
I would go with OC or short range blaster on the MCs, rapid fire chews through ammo super fast. OC & SRB will have nearly identical damage, with OC not losing range and upping distributor draw a bit. I usually go SRB on Chieftains as I'm usually up close and personal, but distributor draw isn't that big of a deal on MCs for the most part, and the range that is lost with SRB can sometimes be missed with runners. Rapid fire pulse are nice, but suffer from drop off like anything else other than long range (past 1.5-2k it really becomes weak). It depends how you fly, if you keep your engagements close, then rapid fire will probably out do long range. They also build up heat pretty fast, a thermal vent beam or two may help with that (if it is a problem, might not be, not sure never ran 4 rapid fire pulse on one). If you can hit with fixed MCs good for you, but I wouldn't hesitate to go gimbal with them to help with time on target. I would personally go autoloader on both large MCs and use one of the smalls or the medium on the bottom for an MC with corrosive assuming gimballed MCs, if fixed you would definitely want to use a small because it converges with the larges assuming you use a 3rd mc for corrosive to keep both larges rocking nonstop with auto loader. If you stick with just the two large as MC, go auto loader on one and corrosive on the other.

You can run a size 6 Bi-Weave, thermal resist and low draw (to keep it from draining SYS quite as fast) or fast charge which will require an extra pip or two to get them back up a couple seconds faster than low draw would. Resist augmentation on one booster and heavy duty on the other, both with super capacitor (could go resist on both too if you want). You could also keep the 5 bi-weave and go with a 6 SCB, but without a Guardian Shield Reinforcement or two the SCB will probably charge more than your total shield value and be overkill. If you don't mind the weight, you can run a B SCB instead of an A for an extra charge (albeit a touch weaker per charge, it will be more in total).

Heavy duty deep plating on the hull/armor and all hull reinforcements other than the smallest HRP which you can throw thermal resist deep plating on to get some really nice resists across the board.

Dirty drag drives on the thrusters is pretty much always the right answer. Keep the 4d sensors and go long range on it (don't even have to hit G5, I often leave them at 3 or 4). Armored PP. Charge enhanced super conduit PD. I would personally use chaff before a PD. AFMU if you want it, but not really needed imo.

Slight alterations from your posted build got me this, and I didn't do any engineering to the weapons.

It is an amazing combat ship once all decked out, and I'm not saying there is one right way to do it, that is just what I would start with if in your shoes. Ultimately some trial and error will get you to whatever works best for you.

Also, that is all assuming PVE. I've had a build very close to that survive wing ganks (barely), but I'm not one to offer PVP advice past running away.
Ok thanks for the advice. I think ill go with gimballed since I am fairly new to combat. So yea this will be mainly for pve but eventually I will want to get into pvp
Btw what is autoloader?

Last edited:

The above is my PvP build. Any PvP build, with the exception of Thargoid Interceptor combat, will suffice for PvE.
I use a lot of fixed weapons, mainly short range blaster railguns which can only do damage within 1.5 km. The size 1 slots are great for debuff type experimentals. Hence the emissive laser and corrosive multicanon. Short range blaster rail guns are not easy to use, but extremely satisfying. You may want to use weapons better suited to your current skill level and preference.

I use a 5A power plant because it is lighter and therefore the ship will go faster. Should you use more power hungry weapons you can go to a 6A armoured power plant with thermal spread or double braced experimentals.

If you fight a lot of NPCs you may want to put in a point defence turret in lieu of the heat sink or chaff because once your shields go down, the npcs will spam missiles, which will damage your weapons beyond repair.

Since you are new, I also would recommend gimballed weapons in lieu of what I use. I cannot recommend any myself because I do not have any experience with non fixed weapons other than gimballed multicannons. The size three gimballed MC has a rather slow spin up time which I find irritating. The size 2 weapon slot is underneath the chieftain and does not converge nicely with the size three weapons. That is, the two reticle dots of the large size weapons do not sit directly on top of the medium size reticle dot.

Maybe someone else here has experience with chieftains and frag cannons? I'm going to guess that a combination of gimballed frags and long range rails would be optimal for PvE.

o7

[EDIT] The main reason my build is PvP is because I tried to emphasize Thermal and Kinetic resistances. I do organized PvP and missiles are outlawed and no one uses torps.]

Last edited:

The above is my PvP build. Any PvP build, with the exception of Thargoid Interceptor combat, will suffice for PvE.
I use a lot of fixed weapons, mainly short range blaster railguns which can only do damage within 1.5 km. The size 1 slots are great for debuff type experimentals. Hence the emissive laser and corrosive multicanon. Short range blaster rail guns are not easy to use, but extremely satisfying. You may want to use weapons better suited to your current skill level and preference.

I use a 5A power plant because it is lighter and therefore the ship will go faster. Should you use more power hungry weapons you can go to a 6A armoured power plant with thermal spread or double braced experimentals.

If you fight a lot of NPCs you may want to put in a point defence turret in lieu of the heat sink or chaff because once your shields go down, the npcs will spam missiles, which will damage your weapons beyond repair.

Since you are new, I also would recommend gimballed weapons in lieu of what I use. I cannot recommend any myself because I do not have any experience with non fixed weapons other than gimballed multicannons. The size three gimballed MC has a rather slow spin up time which I find irritating. The size 2 weapon slot is underneath the chieftain and does not converge nicely with the size three weapons. That is, the two reticle dots of the large size weapons do not sit directly on top of the medium size reticle dot.

Maybe someone else here has experience with chieftains and frag cannons? I'm going to guess that a combination of gimballed frags and long range rails would be optimal for PvE.

o7

[EDIT] The main reason my build is PvP is because I tried to emphasize Thermal and Kinetic resistances. I do organized PvP and missiles are outlawed and no one uses torps.]
Is that because missles are op?

Interesting setup! (10000 thermal resist :oops:) Got a question regarding your powerplant though, why didnt you go with armoured/ monstered for instance? You have got a lot of power to spare with overcharged, which seems a waste to me
Edit: Also, pretty low PP integrity, i'd think

Last edited:
Interesting setup! (10000 thermal resist :oops:) Got a question regarding your powerplant though, why didnt you go with armoured/ monstered for instance? You have got a lot of power to spare with overcharged, which seems a waste to me
Edit: Also, pretty low PP integrity, i'd think
Good point. I couldn't quite remember what power plant I was using. Armoured is usually my preference, but maybe I used overcharged because it was lying around from another build I had. I probably cannibalized it off of a fdl build which has six utilities and therefore more boosters which are power hungry.

Also, Im hoping that having both the 5D and 2D module reinforcements will help out with the reduced PP integrity as well as the flimsy canopy of the Chieftain.

This Chieftain was built mostly for the current hulltank RoA tournament league where what I am most concerned about is rail spam. Plasma accelerators do absolute damage, most people do not fly fixed multicannons, frags can be avoided and gimbals can be chaffed.

If you want it for PvP, youre better of at a dedicated discord server and ask there than here on forum.

Last edited:
Good point. I couldn't quite remember what power plant I was using. Armoured is usually my preference, but maybe I used overcharged because it was lying around from another build I had. I probably cannibalized it off of a fdl build which has six utilities and therefore more boosters which are power hungry.
Ah ok, that makes sense. I mean, you never know, that's why I asked. The number one thing I keep noticing in this game that there are endless possibilities to do stuff, every time depending on equally many different scenarios. 😉
Also, Im hoping that having both the 5D and 2D module reinforcements will help out with the reduced PP integrity as well as the flimsy canopy of the Chieftain.
Regarding this, just as a general RoT, if I have power to spare are the Guardian RP good idea to use, or do they have other drawbacks as well?

Ah ok, that makes sense. I mean, you never know, that's why I asked. The number one thing I keep noticing in this game that there are endless possibilities to do stuff, every time depending on equally many different scenarios. 😉

Regarding this, just as a general RoT, if I have power to spare are the Guardian RP good idea to use, or do they have other drawbacks as well?

I just remembered why I used the overcharged instead of armoured. It's because it is a 5A instead of a 6A. I chose speed over integrity.

As for the Guardian module question, I can't answer that as I have very limited experience with them. I train and build for organized PvP and organized PvP almost always outlaws Guardian modules.

There is also a slight issue with Guardian Shield Reinforcement modules, which is that you cannot set a power priority for them.

No Engineering at all? Good luck, even at Nav Beacons...with that shield/speed/boost,all that much Hull won't save you when your puny shields will be off and your canopy will start to crack.With no Engineering available I would start to learn PvE Combat with a Vulture or a Viper probably,while unlocking some Engineers (you don't have to go all the way to G5 for PvE) and learn to use Fixed weapons (wich is easier on those very fast and nimble small ships).

No Engineering at all? Good luck, even at Nav Beacons...with that shield/speed/boost,all that much Hull won't save you when your puny shields will be off and your canopy will start to crack.With no Engineering available I would start to learn PvE Combat with a Vulture or a Viper probably,while unlocking some Engineers (you don't have to go all the way to G5 for PvE) and learn to use Fixed weapons (wich is easier on those very fast and nimble small ships).
I changed my shield to 6c bi weave. Been doing alright at nav beacons in anarchy system. Blasting away at expert smaller ships. Got my multis to g2 but need to go get some more mats

Top Bottom