Space Engineers - "Open" Changes Everything

Spoilers Without Context
Really looking forward to the full tale, since I logged in at the aftermath. :)

On my end, I had a short window to play, so I used it to scout for the last type of ore that can be found on the surface of this planet: Gold. I got lucky, and found some almost right away. I filled my Dragonfly with hand drilled gold ore (this is one ore I want to keep under the radar if possible), and carried it down the ladder. I had just enough time to refine it to build all four yield modules, then I had to reluctantly log off.

Next up: Operation Chameleon!

Really looking forward to the full tale, since I logged in at the aftermath. :)
I'm working on buffing my defenses (and some offenses) on my current starship, which my subconscious obsessed with all night long as I slept. Even more exciting, I finally came up with a good design for a new starship, something that should be visually pleasing and able to pack a bit more punch when venturing into enemy territory. Once I prototype this in creative, I'll take a break and post my long and nail-biting story from last night.

Perhaps the best title for this story is, I Survived.

The story begins as I jumped my exploration ship into orbit of the moon to check up on an old but relatively tame enemy. This is when I see [redacted]'s beacon on my old enemy's base. Now [redacted] is the scourge of the seven planets, the Harry Potter of the Space Engineers CA2 server. He's looted, pillaged, and even destroyed bases and ships of both new and veteran players. He's a force to be reckoned with, or in the case of simple explorers like myself, a force to avoid.

But being the mischievous beehive-poker that I am, I just had to stir up trouble. His beacon warned everyone that the moon belongs to him - leave or burn! So I turned on my beacon and set it to broadcast, "The moon belongs to Elpolossa!" Elp is a friend of mine who has erected a permanent safe zone around his base on the moon, something that drives Harry nuts (safe zones are impenetrable shields). My thinking was that Harry was down on the moon, and if I kept on the move and only broadcasted for short bursts, he would not be able to track me down. Unfortunately I did not know that he was in his battleship just kilometers away..

Normally I fly in the first person mode, as its way more immersive, but sometimes I switch to 3rd person to get a better look at my surroundings. When I did this, something caught my eye. There was movement at the rear of my ship as seen from the external "drone" camera view. Something small but very real. Another player!! Alarm bells went off as I saw what he was doing - he was cutting through my hull! My reflect action was to fire up the jump drive. When a ship opens a wormhole, anyone not strapped in is left behind. I planned on leaving this invader (who instinctively I knew was Harry) drifting in the vacuum of space. That's when the terrible truth sunk in - I no longer had a jump drive!!! Harry had cut through the hull and destroyed it. :eek:

I started to panic and performed erratic, high-speed maneuvers to try to shake my hitchhiker. I could see Harry getting tossed around, but he hung on. I aimed for a NPC station close by, knowing its safe zone projector would disable all hand tools and weapons. I made it to the safe zone, but I was going to fast and flew out the other side. Having slowed down to try to stop in the safe zone, I then punched the throttle. My ship has terrible brakes but excellent acceleration, and I could see Harry fall out of the back and tumble of into space. Finally I was free of this terrible leech!

Of course now I'm many hours away from my space outpost without FTL capability. I take a moment to ponder my situation and learn from my mistakes. How did Harry sneak up on me? My big mistake was turning off my defense turrets. I have multiple small-caliber point defense turrets on the hull, but I turned them off because I was in the proximity of NPC pirate station. Turrets will automatically fire on enemies, even if it's a station inside a safe zone, which is a waste of bullets. Had my turrets been active, Harry would have had a much more difficult if not impossible time getting close to my ship. What is the lesson learned? Do NOT turn off defense turrets in hazardous space, EVER, but instead dial back the firing arc. Had I set the turret autofire to 100 meters, my turrets would still protect my ship from any close-range attack while ignoring farther targets like that station.

Speaking of turrets, I had switched them back on as soon as I ditched Harry, and reprogrammed them to shoot at ANYTHING, even neutral targets, because Harry is so sneaky. It wasn't long before I hear my turrets spin up and open a barrage of bullets to my aft. I assumed they had locked onto Harry in his EVA suit and was shredding him to bits. That put a smile on my face, until I saw the explosions... Missiles!!! The turrets were shooting incoming missiles! My heart leaping once again, I performed a full burn and quickly hit maximum velocity (yes, like ED, SE has a speed cap). What was shooting at me?

I took manual control of one of my turrets and used the telescopic camera to see what was behind me. This is what I saw:
scare1.jpg

This is Harry's battleship, a dreadnought really. He has been bragging about how he's taken down some veteran players with impressive ships using this behemoth, and I don't doubt it. My only option was to keep on running. All ships in SE have the same maximum speed, but each ship has a different acceleration curve, and that's what saved me - I can accelerate faster than most ships, being a light explorer, and that allowed me to get out of weapon's range before he could match my speed. But he was just outside weapon's range, and he was following me. In fact there were moments when my defense turrets fired, meaning he was right there on the edge, but thankfully his weapons were not locking on me for whatever reason.

So now we were in a stalemate of sorts. I didn't know how long he would follow me, and I actually had IRL things to do, so I used my most powerful tool - my witty dialog, to negotiate a truce. My backup plan was to head straight to earth in hopes that I could lose him in the gravity well, but that would have taken a good hour at sublight speeds, so thankfully he eventually backed off and let me go. Once I felt comfortable that he was well out of range, I called a friend via private comms.

Remember my buddy Elpoloosa, the true ruler of the moon? Thankfully he was on and is always very willing to help a friend in need. I had to get back to my outpost so I could replace my jump drive, and flying there in normal space would have taken DAYS. So Elp jumped to my location, we linked together, and he opened a wormhole for both of us, delivering me to my station.
scare2.jpg

Thankfully that recent clang explosion made me stock up on parts and a robust welding system, so once back at my station, it didn't take long to repair the damage and replace my trashed jump drive.

I've definitely learned a variety of lessons and have modified my ship to better deal with situations like these. The biggest lesson is that it's time for a new ship, not to replace my current ship, but to serve a different role and to ensure I always have a backup ship "stashed away" somewhere. When I told Harry this was my one and only ship, I think he felt some pity and decided to let me go. Not all pirates will do that, and this isn't the first time I've come close to losing the ship. Thankfully my writer's designer's block is finally broken and I've begun designing a new a pretty ship for adventures like these.

* I decided not to mention my nemesis by actual name because he's a boastful "look at me" kind-of-guy, and I could just see him Googling his SE name to see if people are talking about him. I don't want to give him all my secrets! And just in case he does find this thread, I will likely keep some of my designs and counter-measures top secret. I'll PM my loyal thread followers these secret designs (or just show you in person in the game).

I was right, it was quite the tale. :). Thanks for sharing it.

<<< Immediately starts revising (far future) plans for my future starship.

edit:

While I’m thinking if it, is there any way to access SP Space Engineers (for prototyping purposes) without having to go through that torturous MP lobby? It takes like ten minutes before the screen’s stable enough to actually do anything, even as simple as clicking the “history” button. :(

Last edited:
I was right, it was quite the tale. :). Thanks for sharing it.

<<< Immediately starts revising (far future) plans for my future starship.

edit:

While I’m thinking if it, is there any way to access SP Space Engineers (for prototyping purposes) without having to go through that torturous MP lobby? It takes like ten minutes before the screen’s stable enough to actually do anything, even as simple as clicking the “history” button. :(

What do you mean?
You just start a SP session. Creative mode.

You can't access one mode without leaving the other, however you can add the Keen server to your favorites, and that lets you bypass the lobby when logging in.

Attachments

• favorites.jpg
    favorites.jpg
    197.4 KB · Views: 117
You can't access one mode without leaving the other, however you can add the Keen server to your favorites, and that lets you bypass the lobby when logging in.
Welp, that gives me something to do while cooking tonight’s supper I guess. Having to go through that lobby repeatedly is why I’ve been avoiding prototyping. If having something favorited bypasses that lobby, I can start doing that again.

(There isn’t a setting that needs to be changed, I hope...)

(There isn’t a setting that needs to be changed, I hope...)
Nope, just add the server to your favorites (which will have to be done just once from the lobby). Now getting in when there's 16/16 players, on the other hand...

PSA - server has been a bit wonky today. Hopefully they fix it soon. I don't mind, I've got hours to spend in creative mode. I've got about 80% of a ship that I like, but that last 20% is always tough (especially with limited blocks).

Cant you cross use SP BP in MP?
Yep. The problem I’m having is that once I enter my creative world, it’s now the “continue game” option, rather than the multi-player server I was last playing on.

Which is a huge problem, because when I then select “join a game,” SE is practically unusable, if it doesn’t outright crash, until the the full server list loads... which takes long enough for me to go do something on my iPad, because I’m sure not going to be using my computer until it finishes it’s Star-Citizen scale networking-related seizure.

If it opens on the favorites page, rather than the full server lust page, then I can avoid that whole ordeal.

Tonight, while I was busy working on my base, chat abuzz with some exciting news.

I'm going to pull an @Old Duck, and give you some context-less spoilers:

weihao-wei-spaceship-accidents.jpg

coruscant-victory.gif

korea.ship_.wreck100423afp420.jpg

;)
I sure hope that is Harry's ship and not mine in ruins ;)

(Harry being the codename for you-know-who)

UPDATE - I just talked to Harry, and his ship is indeed gone. He thinks the admins deleted it since he was using an exploit to stay attached to a NPC station. I can't wait to hear the story behind this.

Last edited:
Alright... sadly it's not a harrowing tale of narrow escapes like Old Duck's, but I'm sure he'll appreciate it all the same. :)

I logged in, and started work on what I hoped would be my base's facade: the ordinary exterior that hid the more precious equipment beneath. Granted, I figured that it wouldn't stop someone like Harry from discovering the truth, but this is more for the sake of my own amusement, than an actual deterrence.

At any rate, I'd barely started work on the exterior when chat came alive. Sadly, the screenshot of the chat I could've sworn I'd taken weren't there, so this is more from memory than verbatim. Name's have been omitted for to protect the innocent:

"You'll never believe what I just found!"
"What?"
"Harry's ship! The one he's been terrorizing the server with for the last few months! And he's offline right now!"
"Sweet!"
"I just blew it up, and it's crashing into the ground right now!"
"It's about time he got a taste of his own medicine."
"Here's the coordinates of the wreckage, if you want to get some of the stuff he looted from you back. Once you're finished, I'm going to finish pulverizing the thing!"

Needless to say, he hadn't done me any harm yet (after all, it's been less than a week), nor did I have the means to get there if I did. At the very least, I would've loved to take a screenshot of the wreck. Nether the less, there's something oddly satisfying to be online when something like that happens.

As for my own efforts that night, I completed the surface structure of my proverbial mine:

I love the gate blocks, and my Dragonfly design, with drill attached or an extra cargo pod, just barely fits through the door lengthwise, making it the perfect ceiling access hatch. I still have a lot of work to do, but at least it's a start. :)

We need to syncronize our game time, perhaps this weekend, and then I can drop down in my shuttle for a quick visit!
Ah, you’ve unearthed what is the bane of my existence in online games for the last ten years: trying to “synchronize our game time” less than a month in advance. ;)

Right now, I’m hoping to squeeze in some time to play about 01:00-02:00 UTC, before getting ready to turn in for the night. Since I have Saturday off, I should be online from 11:00-13:00 UTC, before the rest of the household is raring to start their day. The rest of the day is iffy.

I’m working Sunday, and the evening afterwards is a big unknown at the moment. 🤷‍♀️

The solution to my creative block was to take an old small grid ship of mine and build a large grid ship based on the basic design. Here's a sneak peak and what I've come up with:

Exterior
prototype1.jpg

prototype4.jpg

prototype2.jpg

prototype3.jpg

prototype5.jpg

Interior
prototype6.jpg

prototype7.jpg

prototype8.jpg

This ship does not replace my current ship (despite borrowing some design conventions from it). My current ship is an exploration and mining vessel, whereas this is a more posh and more deadly fast-strike combat vessel. It can't tank against the typical battlecruiser people fly in this game, but it swoop in, pack a punch, and swoop out. It's excellent for assaulting bases, stations, and stationary ships, along with weaker ships. It will likely shine best as part of a larger fleet, however, bursting in and turning the tide in a battle where destroyers, cruisers, and dreadnoughts are duking it out.

I still have lots of fine-tuning to do before I actually build this on the live server. I'm likely going to have to decommission my earth base, which is okay since I really don't use it much. I'll create one of my little "campsites" to serve as a backup base on earth. This new ship is over 5000 PCU!

There are two "currencies" in Space Engineers (and ironically I'm not talking about the actual currency of SE cash) - materials from which you build things and PCU points of which you are allotted a certain limit on the server. When a player starts, they are concerned with materials, because that's what you need to build things, and some materials are more rare than others. Once you get to where I'm at in the game, materials are abundant but PCU becomes a concern, because you can't mine these - there's a fixed limit.

What I need is PCU, so this means decommissioning existing assets. Originally I was just going to scrap my entire base on earth, but it dawned on me that I just need to "sell the car, and some furniture" to free up the PCU for my new starship. I had a very lovely and nostalgic rocket parked in my silo, but I never use it anymore, and it tied up over 1300 PCU. So reluctantly I deleted it. Then came the base, which I wanted to keep, but I needed to trim down to free up PCU. The irony is that often something that costs a lot of PCU doesn't use a lot of materials, and vice-versa. For example, heavy armor blocks require LOTS of steel plates and cobalt rebar, but each block only costs 1 PCU. A functioning door, on the other hand, costs over 100 PCU. I'm told this is because anything that has moving parts (like a door) has a much higher PCU number. The purpose of PCU is to make sure players don't overload the server. For example, if I could set up 1000 doors in a row and set them on a timer to open and close every second, that would be a big performance hit on the server, whereas a wall block just sits there and does nothing - no logic, no animation, just simple geometry to render.

So I went and switched out a bunch of doors for open passageways, removed a bunch of internal defense turrets, swapped out fancy control centers for simple button panels, and I even removed my windmill to rely on nuclear power alone (so much for green energy). I still have all the essentials I need in an emergency base - a refinery, assembler, cryopod, medical bay, lots of supplies and tools - everything I would need to rebuild my rocket if for some reason I would lose all my space assets. This is highly unlikely, however, especially once I build my second starship, so for now my earth base will be my "summer home" for when I'm exploring the planet, which I still like to do.

steamline1.jpg streamline2.jpg

I must admit the PCU limit is probably my least favorite part of playing online. Keen servers seem especially stingy when it comes to this. On the other hand, it does force me to be more clever in my builds. 🤷

Visiting a friend :)
visit1.jpg

visit2.jpg

visit3.jpg

visit4.jpg

visit5.jpg

visit6.jpg

Of course I landed right as the sun was setting, so I'm crashing on the couch until morning so I can look around in daylight. That said, the night time sky on this planet is pretty spectacular. Now imagine if the server had spiders turned on.... :eek:

They just announced a server reboot, not too long after you'd logged in. Just enough time to make a quick trip to the nearest frozen lake for more ice. Since my day is about to begin, I'm going to call it a session. Glad you could see my humble, work in progress base.

Construction is going to begin in earnest whenever I get an opportunity to play today. Just don't know when it'll be, since I have to seize them as they arise. :)

They just announced a server reboot, not too long after you'd logged in. Just enough time to make a quick trip to the nearest frozen lake for more ice. Since my day is about to begin, I'm going to call it a session. Glad you could see my humble, work in progress base.

Construction is going to begin in earnest whenever I get an opportunity to play today. Just don't know when it'll be, since I have to seize them as they arise. :)

I jumped back in long enough to look around during the daylight hours, and then I headed back to my starship. It's still in orbit, so if you're on when I head back later, I'll fire up my beacon so you can see where I am in the sky. My next big project is building my new starship (not sure what I'll call it yet). I still have some tweaking to do in creative mode before I commit to this project.

Here are some more photos of this very weird and exotic planet. Even the sounds are weird!
visit7.jpg

visit8.jpg

visit9.jpg

visit10.jpg

visit11.jpg

Top Bottom