Space Engineers - "Open" Changes Everything

I'm a "wait for the sales" guy myself, but I did go ahead and buy the last couple of Space Engineers DLC at full price. Individually, they are not that expensive. I would never pay the full price for a game like Space Engineers or X4 (I'm talking game plus all DLC) up front because it's a huge gamble, but if I end up getting thousands of hours of enjoyment out of a game, then I'll support it (and my own fun) by purchasing their DLC.

For me personally, I've gotten way more enjoyment out of my Space Engineers "subscription" than I did my Disney+ subscription, which I later cancelled. I also gave Amazon Plus the middle finger a year or two ago, after they kept jacking the price while removing features.

Oh, and I also remember playing well over $100 (and this was 1990s when that was a lot of money) for a WORD PROCESSOR, so in comparison today's modern video games are a steal, LOL! That said, until SE gets proper single-player support (NPCs, exploration, BGS-like missions, etc), I don't think it's worth the price shown above.

Fair enough. But you must admit buying SE at first release/top price is committing vulgar grand larceny. Especially when compared to other space franchises like SC.... :ROFLMAO:

ps: that being said, if SE, ED or even NMS added a prison system like Hardspace as described below, that could end up significantly boost sales IMO. It would not only add an good immersive and highly practical gameplay loop, but allow the player to potentially make $$$ as well.

For SE, players in public servers could expect to serve time puzzle breaking salvaged/abandoned vox spacecraft modules until their time was served. by simply adding a Lynx serfdom clause to every Cmndr's ship purchase contract. Then poorly explain this C&P feature in the pilot handbook.

In ED case--being the super queen of GRIND--this feature couldn't hurt improvements to the C&P system. Violated the no fly without rebuy Law? Coming up just short of credits you need to replace your pet 150K++ Conda/Mantra you lost to 'Goid Rage infestation out in the Witchead? Horsehead? nebula? No problem! Instead of visiting your favorite timeshare at your local prison ship/IF, enjoy an innovatively relaxing vacation in null space. Where you will be cerebrally challenged in solving a set of increasingly intricate puzzles, demolishing shipwrecks star systems have salvaged around the universe. And if you're really good salvager, you might even get to keep a small percentage of the profits!

IDK. Seems like a great gameplay loop FDev and Keen could add to their games. Because based on Steam/PC gaming trends, ED in particular appears to be going on life support. If the PS/XBox console community are still disaffected over the EDO fallout, then that's real bad news. Because it would imply ED is trending towards a dire need of a player infusion reboot. So a game feature/loop like this could help work wonders for the franchise:

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX5RgxG-uFQ

Similar Hardspace prison feature like this couldn't hurt game play in SF as well come to think of it...

Last edited:
Fair enough. But you must admit buying SE at first release/top price is committing vulgar grand larceny. Especially when compared to other space franchises like SC.... :ROFLMAO:

ps: that being said, if SE, ED or even NMS added a prison system like Hardspace as described below, that could end up significantly boost sales IMO. It would not only add an good immersive and highly practical gameplay loop, but allow the player to potentially make $$$ as well.

For SE, players in public servers could expect to serve time puzzle breaking salvaged/abandoned vox spacecraft modules until their time was served. by simply adding a Lynx serfdom clause to every Cmndr's ship purchase contract. Then poorly explain this C&P feature in the pilot handbook.

In ED case--being the super queen of GRIND--this feature couldn't hurt improvements to the C&P system. Violated the no fly without rebuy Law? Coming up just short of credits you need to replace your pet 150K++ Conda/Mantra you lost to 'Goid Rage infestation out in the Witchead? Horsehead? nebula? No problem! Instead of visiting your favorite timeshare at your local prison ship/IF, enjoy an innovatively relaxing vacation in null space. Where you will be cerebrally challenged in solving a set of increasingly intricate puzzles, demolishing shipwrecks star systems have salvaged around the universe. And if you're really good salvager, you might even get to keep a small percentage of the profits!

IDK. Seems like a great gameplay loop FDev and Keen could add to their games. Because based on Steam/PC gaming trends, ED in particular appears to be going on life support. If the PS/XBox console community are still disaffected over the EDO fallout, then that's real bad news. Because it would imply ED is trending towards a dire need of a player infusion reboot. So a game feature/loop like this could help work wonders for the franchise:

Source: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX5RgxG-uFQ

Similar Hardspace prison feature like this couldn't hurt game play in SF as well come to think of it...
Most of the stuff is just cosmetic. If you weed that out and buy only the gameplay stuff you can save most of the cost. AFAIK only the automata stuff is gameplay. There is themed stuff with a bit of narrative - you don't need that. I think it's narrative sandbox stuff for people who like to maybe build some setting and have a scenario with friends to play. Like a staged roleplay or so.

Top Bottom