Space Engineers - "Open" Changes Everything

Hopped on for a bit just now to see if I can add some sensor/timer logic to my hidden base and my Dragonfly.

The good news is that my access hatch will now open automatically as I, or my ship, approaches it. :)

The bad news is that not only is there no option to reveal/hide blocks besides the control panel, but I also wasn't able to automate my docking/undocking procedure for my Dragonfly. :(

The latter isn't that bad, but the former means I have to choose between convenience and secrecy. 😨

System chat can be quite distracting, though it's great for passing the time while the jump drive recharges.

@Darkfyre99 Harry has yet to find my base, and he's found others close by, so you should be safe. That said, be careful, as he's flipping out and targeting everyone now. I'm hoping my new ship will give him a run for his money, assuming he doesn't slip on board and kill me. I'll have to keep a rifle taped to my pilot seat! That dude is slippery!

I must've logged in just before Harry did, because that fascinating discussion interrupted a discussion about rotor-mounted drills. His threats against newbies are pretty much par for the course when it comes to that kind of player. I already assumed it was open season against players like me, so nothing much has changed.

At any rate, I've started construction of my living quarters, again using the projector as a guide. I roughed it out using creative mode, which made it really easy to figure out where to remove rock. The server reboot, sadly, interrupted the process of laying out the base's proverbial plumbing.

The server reboot, sadly, interrupted the process of laying out the base's proverbial plumbing.
Server reboots are not as disruptive as you may think. Don't log out, just stop what you're doing at the 1 minute mark and wait. You'll get a "Connection Error" message and the game will disconnect, but it will then automatically reconnect you less than a minute later and you'll be right where you left off. I do recommend jumping in a cryopod if the server is full (16/16), since someone might grab your slot during the reboot. Otherwise I usually just shrug off reboots. The only time they really bother me is if I'm airborne over a gravity well, like when I dropped down from orbit to visit your base.

SPOILERS WITHOUT CONTEXT

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

iu

I didn’t get to log in last night. Not because I didn’t have the time, because I lost track of time in my creative lab, playing around with the thrust override controls, as I prototyped a new small surface-to-orbit shuttle. I discovered that by keeping the thrust at just enough to counteract the effects of gravity, I could get into “orbit” on less than a single small hydrogen tank.

Tonight, I intend to continue the excavation/construction of my living quarters.

I didn’t get to log in last night. Not because I didn’t have the time, because I lost track of time in my creative lab, playing around with the thrust override controls, as I prototyped a new small surface-to-orbit shuttle. I discovered that by keeping the thrust at just enough to counteract the effects of gravity, I could get into “orbit” on less than a single small hydrogen tank.

Tonight, I intend to continue the excavation/construction of my living quarters.
When you get that shuttle done, let me know and I'll drop by (in orbit) with my new starship.

There are two "currencies" in Space Engineers (and ironically I'm not talking about the actual currency of SE cash) - materials from which you build things and PCU points of which you are allotted a certain limit on the server. When a player starts, they are concerned with materials, because that's what you need to build things, and some materials are more rare than others. Once you get to where I'm at in the game, materials are abundant but PCU becomes a concern, because you can't mine these - there's a fixed limit.

What I need is PCU, so this means decommissioning existing assets. Originally I was just going to scrap my entire base on earth, but it dawned on me that I just need to "sell the car, and some furniture" to free up the PCU for my new starship. I had a very lovely and nostalgic rocket parked in my silo, but I never use it anymore, and it tied up over 1300 PCU. So reluctantly I deleted it. Then came the base, which I wanted to keep, but I needed to trim down to free up PCU. The irony is that often something that costs a lot of PCU doesn't use a lot of materials, and vice-versa. For example, heavy armor blocks require LOTS of steel plates and cobalt rebar, but each block only costs 1 PCU. A functioning door, on the other hand, costs over 100 PCU. I'm told this is because anything that has moving parts (like a door) has a much higher PCU number. The purpose of PCU is to make sure players don't overload the server. For example, if I could set up 1000 doors in a row and set them on a timer to open and close every second, that would be a big performance hit on the server, whereas a wall block just sits there and does nothing - no logic, no animation, just simple geometry to render.

So I went and switched out a bunch of doors for open passageways, removed a bunch of internal defense turrets, swapped out fancy control centers for simple button panels, and I even removed my windmill to rely on nuclear power alone (so much for green energy). I still have all the essentials I need in an emergency base - a refinery, assembler, cryopod, medical bay, lots of supplies and tools - everything I would need to rebuild my rocket if for some reason I would lose all my space assets. This is highly unlikely, however, especially once I build my second starship, so for now my earth base will be my "summer home" for when I'm exploring the planet, which I still like to do.

View attachment 204382 View attachment 204381

I must admit the PCU limit is probably my least favorite part of playing online. Keen servers seem especially stingy when it comes to this. On the other hand, it does force me to be more clever in my builds. 🤷
Build modularly! Store BP and auto-weld weapon platform for combat. After landing, grind the propulsion module down. Build cubes! Maybe doors are the secret to breach speed limits?

In other news, the Keen CA#2 official server is right now. It's been screwed up all day long, with a 2% sim speed, crashes, time rewinds (Wanda keeps saying "no" to my hard work), etc. Completely unusable... Pity, because my own internet is actually good for a change! Oh well, guess this will let me get IRL work done. 🤷

💡

I just had an idea for a machine that should be able to excavate and construct my base at the same time.

The rest of my day is going to feel like forever before I get to prototype it...

💡

I just had an idea for a machine that should be able to excavate and construct my base at the same time.

The rest of my day is going to feel like forever before I get to prototype it...
I find that creative mode and survival mode are like peanut butter and jelly - they are better together :D

Normally, I’d do this kind of thing in survival, but multi-player definitely changes how I approach things.
I imagine creative mode as a simulation inside the simulation. I designed my RL house in "creative mode", using 3D modeling software to lay everything out (including furniture) so that I could walk through it virtually to see how everything would look, feel, and work before committing money and time to build the real thing. I see SE being no different. In fact, I laughed when I told my wife, "I just finished designing my new starship in creative mode, now I have to build it in real life!" as if survival mode is "real life", LOL.

I imagine creative mode as a simulation inside the simulation. I designed my RL house in "creative mode", using 3D modeling software to lay everything out (including furniture) so that I could walk through it virtually to see how everything would look, feel, and work before committing money and time to build the real thing. I see SE being no different. In fact, I laughed when I told my wife, "I just finished designing my new starship in creative mode, now I have to build it in real life!" as if survival mode is "real life", LOL.
That’s what paper and pencils are for. ;). Seriously, though, I’m on lunch, and I just roughed out my idea on a sheet of paper. When fully loaded, this puppy might need a counterweight at the back to keep it from tipping on its front wheels, depending on what the range of the welder is. :)

I get what you’re saying, but I just like the feel of prototyping in survival. Must be from all those years playing Kerbal Space Program. ;) Though with Harry on the rampage, I’m better off not wasting time and resources on that kind of thing.

That’s what paper and pencils are for. ;). Seriously, though, I’m on lunch, and I just roughed out my idea on a sheet of paper. When fully loaded, this puppy might need a counterweight at the back to keep it from tipping on its front wheels, depending on what the range of the welder is. :)

I get what you’re saying, but I just like the feel of prototyping in survival. Must be from all those years playing Kerbal Space Program. ;) Though with Harry on the rampage, I’m better off not wasting time and resources on that kind of thing.
The other advantage of creative mode is that it works when the server is broken. Today the server is terribly broken. Many of us have submitted tech support requests, so fingers crossed they fix it.

The other advantage of creative mode is that it works when the server is broken. Today the server is terribly broken. Many of us have submitted tech support requests, so fingers crossed they fix it.
Hopefully it’s up and running by the time I get home tonight. I’ve still got about three hours before I can even think about playing online.

If not, there’s still plenty of games I can play. Heck, I still have my main ED character to get to Colonia, at the very least, by spring.

Hopefully it’s up and running by the time I get home tonight. I’ve still got about three hours before I can even think about playing online.

If not, there’s still plenty of games I can play. Heck, I still have my main ED character to get to Colonia, at the very least, by spring.
It's still broken.... Keen is ignoring everyone. I'm really frustrated - I'm in the middle of something important! Whatever you do, I really recommend avoiding any flying tonight. A server crash in a shuttle will result in a shuttle crash.

Funny thing is I chose an official server to AVOID crap like this. Oh well :(

ps - Red Dead Online is my backup plan, but I was "in the zone" in SE, so to have this happen now is rotten.

Rumor is they may have to do a clean wipe on the server. I really don't like that idea, as I just built my new ship.. Starting from scratch, I dunno. On the other hand, each iteration I learn how to do things better. And we'd all be starting out on the same foot, which is interesting. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

The server is completely offline now. I hope this means Keen is finally doing something to fix it. (UPDATE - I go to CA1 to pass the time, and half of CA2 gang is there!)

Last edited:
The server is still completely offline... This is like ED servers being offline for over a day - image the outrage! Did I mention that I chose an official server because I expected it to be WELL RUN? I'm beginning to see why Keen gets so much flack... I've been popping into other servers just to see how they are like. If the CA2 server is fully reset (as in, everyone's stuff is erased), I'm seriously considering jumping ship to a 3rd party server. I'll want either a vanilla or very lightly modded server with the default 3-1-3-3 (or even 3-1-1-1) settings. I'll also need to consult @Darkfyre99, because I've enjoyed having a faction buddy.

The one advantage of starting over on CA2 is that we'll all be starting over together. To quote Spock, "The odds will be even." It will be a true space race! In the meantime, I'm going through serious withdraw. I must have an addiction!

If it sounds like I don't have a RL, that's kinda true at the moment. My work is like the tide, and right now it's low tide.

Top Bottom