Ships Deep Plating?

Question, to any ship mechanics out there.

So, I have this Vette below, that at one point, I could, literally, sit at a Comp NAV Beacon and kill ship after ship after ship, and take NO module damage. At the worst, I would lose maybe a ring of shields after an hour of slaughtering ships, and that's Deadly and Elite ships. One after another after another... and like I said, at the worst I would start to lose the outer ring of shields, but all modules would stay at 100%, with 100% Hull.

OK, so I am checking the ship out and notice that out of my 8 Hull reinforcement packages, all Heavy Duty, that half of them I had forgot to add the Deep Plate EXP effect. So, I head off and add the Deep Plating to the other 4 or so Hull packages. This takes my Ship Integrity from 7,000 to 7,636. I am thinking now this ship should be even better, if that's possible, but now it's worse! WT?!

Now, sitting in the same Comp NAV and hanging out killing just as many ships, at the end of the slaughter, my shields are nearly gone and Hull at like 98%, with lots of modules now down to anywhere from 99% best case to 96% worse case.

Here's what the description of Deep Plating states:
"Increased depth of plating increases the ship's overall structural integrity, at the cost of resistance against all types of damage."

Adding the Deep Plate gives a 10% increase to Hull Reinforcement, with a -2% drop in all resistances. So, if I added DP to 4 Hull packages, I assume I lost a total of 8% in all resistances but gained 40% in Hull strength, or at least overall Hull Reinforcement strength. I had no idea that this would cause such a overall decrease in the ship's ability to soak up damage and no idea that it would even affect the shields, which have always had the same MJ rating.

So, what the heck is the point of DP? It's made my ship worse! I wanna remove the DP I added, but my brain is telling me "NO, you need it!" But apparently I don't! I am starting to question all my "combat" ships, as I always DP all the Hull Reinforcement Packages, but apparently it looks like I am making things worse by doing so? Would it be better to use a combo of Angled, Layered and Reflective EXPs over Deep Plating, or maybe not even using Heavy Duty?

Thanks for any advice! I've done something wrong here by adding the DP 🙄

Link to Build

ship.png

Last edited:
Question, to any ship mechanics out there.

So, I have this Vette below, that at one point, I could, literally, sit at a Comp NAV Beacon and kill ship after ship after ship, and take NO module damage. At the worst, I would lose maybe a ring of shields after an hour of slaughtering ships, and that's Deadly and Elite ships. One after another after another... and like I said, at the worst I would start to lose the outer ring of shields, but all modules would stay at 100%, with 100% Hull.

OK, so I am checking the ship out and notice that out of my 8 Hull reinforcement packages, all Heavy Duty, that half of them I had forgot to add the Deep Plate EXP effect. So, I head off and add the Deep Plating to the other 4 or so Hull packages. This takes my Ship Integrity from 7,000 to 7,636. I am thinking now this ship should be even better, if that's possible, but now it's worse! WT?!

Now, sitting in the same Comp NAV and hanging out killing just as many ships, at the end of the slaughter, my shields are nearly gone and Hull at like 98%, with lots of modules now down to anywhere from 99% best case to 96% worse case.

Here's what the description of Deep Plating states:
"Increased depth of plating increases the ship's overall structural integrity, at the cost of resistance against all types of damage."

Adding the Deep Plate gives a 10% increase to Hull Reinforcement, with a -2% drop in all resistances. So, if I added DP to 4 Hull packages, I assume I lost a total of 8% in all resistances but gained 40% in Hull strength, or at least overall Hull Reinforcement strength. I had no idea that this would cause such a overall decrease in the ship's ability to soak up damage and no idea that it would even affect the shields, which have always had the same MJ rating.

So, what the heck is the point of DP? It's made my ship worse! I wanna remove the DP I added, but my brain is telling me "NO, you need it!" But apparently I don't! I am starting to question all my "combat" ships, as I always DP all the Hull Reinforcement Packages, but apparently it looks like I am making things worse by doing so? Would it be better to use a combo of Angled, Layered and Reflective EXPs over Deep Plating, or maybe not even using Heavy Duty?

Thanks for any advice! I've done something wrong here by adding the DP 🙄

Link to Build

View attachment 205361
Different ships can attack. And they can have different weapons.
(If my translation is not clear, I meant the enemies and their weapons)

Last edited:

I get it, but no, this is not a matter of running up against say PAs/Rails vs MC and Pulse Lasers. I took the same, general, attacks in all cases and times. I can do some testing, but 99.9% sure it's the addition of the deep plating. It's had some negative effect. The ships in this spot are always the same mix of ships and weapons. I get what you're saying but I've been grinding this area for awhile and know well what's there, what I am fighting. Anyway, I am probably just going to have to play around with different combos to see what works best.

капец ты.. блеснул перед буржуями своей глупостью..
Перечитай 10 раз, как прочтёшь→иди чаю попей и ещё 10 раз перечитай!

I can do some testing, but 99.9% sure it's the addition of the deep plating. It's had some negative effect

Nah, you are seeing a pattern where is none at all.
Random npc can have random ranks and even at the same rank they can have different weapon loadouts.

Guess you just met a batch of harder enemies after you added the deep plaiting to the modules that were lacking it

I get it, but no, this is not a matter of running up against say PAs/Rails vs MC and Pulse Lasers. I took the same, general, attacks in all cases and times. I can do some testing, but 99.9% sure it's the addition of the deep plating. It's had some negative effect. The ships in this spot are always the same mix of ships and weapons. I get what you're saying but I've been grinding this area for awhile and know well what's there, what I am fighting. Anyway, I am probably just going to have to play around with different combos to see what works best.
Most likely the programmer confused the "+" sign with the "-" sign. It happens at the "Frontier".
You need to file a bug report

капец ты.. блеснул перед буржуями своей глупостью..
Перечитай 10 раз, как прочтёшь→иди чаю попей и ещё 10 раз перечитай!
Прочтите что 10 раз и зачем мне чай? Какой чай? Я не совсем понимаю, что вы имеете в виду, ваш русский не очень хорош. Пожалуйста, объясните еще раз. Благодаря!

Nah, you are seeing a pattern where is none at all.
Random npc can have random ranks and even at the same rank they can have different weapon loadouts.

Guess you just met a batch of harder enemies after you added the deep plaiting to the modules that were lacking it
Well, it's weird then... I've been in this location for a while. It's hard to explain but let's say 5 times I fought and had very little, if any module damage. Then I added the DP, and went back, and now it's shield and module damage. I did think, OK, I just had a bunch of harder enemies, so I repaired and went back, same thing, and again. The only thing that's changed, besides the addition of the DP, is my Combat rank, it has gone up about 10%, but that hardly seems enough to send in ships with more powerful weapons. All good though... I can test this theory easy enough. Thanks!

That looks like you took heat damage - without even noticing most probably
I agree with the heat damage! I check for module damage after different encounters and indeed, it does appear that I take a heavier toll in module damage after an attack by thermal weapons. It's like I lost a good chunk of thermal resistance.

Well, it's weird then... I've been in this location for a while. It's hard to explain but let's say 5 times I fought and had very little, if any module damage. Then I added the DP, and went back, and now it's shield and module damage. I did think, OK, I just had a bunch of harder enemies, so I repaired and went back, same thing, and again. The only thing that's changed, besides the addition of the DP, is my Combat rank, it has gone up about 10%, but that hardly seems enough to send in ships with more powerful weapons. All good though... I can test this theory easy enough. Thanks!

The other thing that went up was the total mass of the ship because deep plating adds 6.4t to to the module so I don't know if that will make any difference, not being a combat build person.

Does thermal resistance influence the module/hull damage you take at all?

Not if we talk about heat damage because of overheating
Yes, if the damage taken was coming from thermal weapons (lasers, incendiary mc/frags, rails, and to a lesser extent plasma)

If your shields didn't fail, none of the module damage you took was from hostile fire.
They've never collapsed completely, no but now will get to the point they are all but gone, but I start getting module damage even before that point, when I still have at least a solid ring left, I assume it's from Rails... but ships with PAs now seem to do the most damage, where before I added the extra Deep Plate, I could just soak up PAs. I am not saying the ship was invincible before I added the extra DP, but FAR more resistant to damage. IT's day and night. Something has changed. A. my rank has increased a bit and B. I added DP EXP to those 4 Hull modules. That's it. I am going to remove the DP I added, put it right back where it was and test it. No biggy, easy enough and I'll know for sure.

I agree with the heat damage! I check for module damage after different encounters and indeed, it does appear that I take a heavier toll in module damage after an attack by thermal weapons. It's like I lost a good chunk of thermal resistance.

No, not thermal weapons.
If you dont lose shields then you should not take any module damage
So, in your case, any module damage will come from your ship overheating - that is going above 120% heat, maybe more
This can happen if you use weapons with Wep capacitor almost depleted or by using high heat generation weapons like rails or plasma

They've never collapsed completely, no but now will get to the point they are all but gone, but I start getting module damage even before that point, when I still have at least a solid ring left, I assume it's from Rails... but ships with PAs now seem to do the most damage, where before I added the extra Deep Plate, I could just soak up PAs. I am not saying the ship was invincible before I added the extra DP, but FAR more resistant to damage. IT's day and night. Something has changed. A. my rank has increased a bit and B. I added DP EXP to those 4 Hull modules. That's it. I am going to remove the DP I added, put it right back where it was and test it. No biggy, easy enough and I'll know for sure.

No weapon can directly damage modules through any amount of shielding except for flechettes, which NPCs do not have; or, in the case of the canopy, phasing sequence, which only occurs at low hull integrity (sub 50%, IIRC) and phasing is only on wing assassination targets, Spec Ops, and other threat 6+ signals, not compromised NAV beacons.

All the damage you've been seeing to your hull/modules is a result of you overheating your own ship. Deep plating has nothing to do with it.

Top Bottom