Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

I regularly come across interesting, funny, ridiculous or facepalm-grade stuff on the web. When I show some of these to my wife, we generally have a laugh/chat about it together. I can't remember a single instance of her telling me "WHY ARE YOU SHOWING ME THIS? YOU SHOULD BE TELLING WHAT YOU TOLD ME TO THE AUTHOR INSTEAD OF LAUGHING AT THEM BEHIND THEIR BACK!". If that makes us horrible people, it's cool, I can deal with it.

This thread isn't marriage (although it does feel at times like watching my kids), but I like to think of it - and to a lesser extent the whole "General Gaming" subsection of these forums - as one of my many small social circles. I don't think anyone here believes they will change anyone else's mind, it's just a bunch of people sharing what they find interesting/pretty/funny/ridiculous with friends for a chat/laugh together. Personally, I enjoy that. And while I do laugh at them, I'm not going to e-mail CR, Jorunn or Sovapid's victims to tell them what I think about their various statements.
It's only on t'interweb media outlets that folk from both camps take SC too seriously...those of us who play it spend a lot of time laughing at eachother, namely at how much money and time we've spent on it over the years or randomly taking the mickey out of the true faithful who seem to do nothing but collect ships and post endless symposia on various forms of media rather than joining us plebs actually playing the clusterfarce of Star Citizen on a daily basis ;)

Last edited:
While I'm definitely not interested in the poop-slinging contest that's happening here, and more about reporting factual information on what's happening in SC proper (or its development/failure saga), I would add my 2 cents here that the people you are making fun of are indoctrinated into a cult. Handling cultists is a delicate matter, and confronting them with the hard cold reality, in a brutal manner, will lead to opposite results of what was expected. It will actually comfort them into their position of denying reality, and into their cocoon with other members, who will create the same kind of social media echo chamber that's running right here. I'm not using the word cultist lightly here - these people indeed spent an inconsiderate amount of money into a "dream" peddled by a guru who never delivered on it, and who's ran away with the money while asking for more, and to "believe in the plan" (does it remind you of something else ?). The cultists will also parrot every mantra uttered by their guru, or whoever they perceive as a figure of authority in their belief system. Trying to fight these magic thinking incantations ("You don't understand game development !" / "It's alpha !" / etc.) is entirely futile as they actually convey zero information, FWIW they could have been told that CiG had to "realign the dilithium matrix in order to bypass the quantum tunnel effect leading to server meshing" and they'd eat the words and repeat them around.
There are people who are specialized in saving people from cults, none of them are in these forums.
As for mocking silly Twitch (or other social media) videos, i'd point out that there are plenty around that are not centered on SC, and people will do stupid things whatever the subject is, like buying a streamer's bath water or even sending money to watch someone play video games instead of playing it themselves. Do they need to be judged too ? IDC. I think it's more important to keep the facts straight for SC and expose the scam as it is, rather than trying to go into a crusade against the cultists themselves.

I think, it's really a cult, too. A cult around aging men who feel that this is their last chance to cream off some sweet money. And since it has been quite successful, it has had positive feedback on their doctrines and mantras. I kinda disagree on how to react to cultists like this. Let them do their stuff and some sorry guy might slip into their fangs. You don't let stupidity just fester, you confront it where you can. You expose it where you can and you mock it where you can.

I will also add, whilst Jorunn is certainly one of the faithful in every sense...he's not above laughing at himself when others poke fun at him, even to sharing a giggle at the odd Ci¬G meme now and then. Mind you, concierge chat is far removed from the general Spectrum in every way possible. Folks in there aren't mindful of dishing out some heavy criticisms, even when Ci¬G moderators or devs (they chat with us a lot in concierge chat) are present. I've never been banished for anything I've typed in there, only from posting exactly the same critical stuff in the general sections of Spectrum.

Concierge live chat has been referred to as a Star Citizen echo chamber...even by the likes of SaltEMike who recently suggested it was elitist and should be taken down. No idea why since I've never seen him in there, also a tad hypocritical considering the amount he's spent on SC as well as having a $5k 'sponsored' gaming PC handed to him by Ci¬G. Hell...even FTR dropped in now and then when he used to play SC just to shoot the breeze. Considering his outspoken and critical views of SC and Ci¬G, you'd expect him to be made unwelcome if it was such an echo chamber...he's fairly popular in there, as are his videos... I suppose because he's not shy of admitting he's one of us idiots who've spent way too much money on the project, even if he does dish out some dirt...that probably helps :)

Last edited:
Most of the comments cry foul as well...nobody except the usual crowd are buying it.

Seems like some people think ToW will be some sort of success rather than looking at Arena Commander, Star Marine, or CQC (in ED) and understanding that people who want to play open world games generally want to play open world games.

I mean, i like CQC, its fun. Its fast paced. Its dogfighting against others in a limited space. Its great! But when i open ED, i never give CQC a glance. I want to play ED. If i want to play a shooter, there are many great shooters out there, and i'll play one of them. SM is never going to be a replacement for Overwatch. ToW is never going to be a replacement for Battlefield. The hardcore will play it, like Musketeer plays CQC, but the player numbers will struggle, because most will want to fly their big ships in the PU, not be limited by the short scenarios.

I could be wrong about this of course, but if ToW is popular, it probably means the demographics for SC are not the second life lovers that the vocal majority seem to be.

I will also add, whilst Jorunn is certainly one of the faithful in every sense...he's not above laughing at himself when others poke fun at him, even to sharing a giggle at the odd Ci¬G meme now and then. Mind you, concierge chat is far removed from the general Spectrum in every way possible. Folks in there aren't mindful of dishing out some heavy criticisms, even when Ci¬G moderators or devs (they chat with us a lot in concierge chat) are present. I've never been banished for anything I've typed in there, only from posting exactly the same critical stuff in the general sections of Spectrum.

Concierge live chat has been referred to as a Star Citizen echo chamber...even by the likes of SaltEMike who recently suggested it was elitist and should be taken down. No idea why since I've never seen him in there, also a tad hypocritical considering the amount he's spent on SC as well as having a $5k 'sponsored' gaming PC handed to him by Ci¬G. Hell...even FTR dropped in now and then when he used to play SC just to shoot the breeze. Considering his outspoken and critical views of SC and Ci¬G, you'd expect him to be made unwelcome if it was such an echo chamber...he's fairly popular in there, as are his videos..

I can't make sense of SaltE. There was this vid where his wife mocked SC being like the girlfriend you have never sex with. And he went along. Is he just putting up an act for earning his twitch money?

Seems like some people think ToW will be some sort of success rather than looking at Arena Commander, Star Marine, or CQC (in ED) and understanding that people who want to play open world games generally want to play open world games.

I mean, i like CQC, its fun. Its fast paced. Its dogfighting against others in a limited space. Its great! But when i open ED, i never give CQC a glance. I want to play ED. If i want to play a shooter, there are many great shooters out there, and i'll play one of them. SM is never going to be a replacement for Overwatch. ToW is never going to be a replacement for Battlefield. The hardcore will play it, like Musketeer plays CQC, but the player numbers will struggle, because most will want to fly their big ships in the PU, not be limited by the short scenarios.

I could be wrong about this of course, but if ToW is popular, it probably means the demographics for SC are not the second life lovers that the vocal majority seem to be.
Most of the more recent or younger backers want ToW rather than go through the effort of playing the PU...instant spawns, vehicles and ships provided per scenario, completely PvP...I can see the attraction. The old farts the likes of me see little point in it, no matter how they try to disguise the fact that it's just another Battlefield clone...we joined for the ED experience that we thought we'd find in SC, not for some casual CoD pew action.

1) Jorunn is not a CIG employee.
We don't know that. CIG has been caught astroturfing numerous times, including several times on this very forum. It's a familiar pattern: new account (or one that was barely used before) suddenly rushes onto this forum, absolutely gushing about how fantastic Star Citizen is, rarely posts outside this thread, always wants to emphasize CIG's current marketing points, rarely posts any of their own content, and then vanishes after it becomes clear that too many people are suspicious of them.

For a company whose head once claimed that one dollar pledged to CIG is worth five spent on the evil publishers because they don't need to spend any on marketing, CIG seems to spend an awful lot of money on marketing.

We don't know that. CIG has been caught astroturfing numerous times, including several times on this very forum. It's a familiar pattern: new account (or one that was barely used before) suddenly rushes onto this forum, absolutely gushing about how fantastic Star Citizen is, rarely posts outside this thread, always wants to emphasize CIG's current marketing points, rarely posts any of their own content, and then vanishes after it becomes clear that too many people are suspicious of them.

For a company whose head once claimed that one dollar pledged to CIG is worth five spent on the evil publishers because they don't need to spend any on marketing, CIG seems to spend an awful lot of money on marketing.

Confirmed!

Jorunn is Little Ant!

I can't make sense of SaltE. There was this vid where his wife mocked SC being like the girlfriend you have never sex with. And he went along. Is he just putting up an act for earning his twitch money?
Mike can be a bit like a UK 50p coin...seven sided and two faced when it suits him. He constantly ribs other concierge backers to gain the popular peasantry vote sometimes on his streams...where as his weekly offerings and tutorial videos tell a different story. I like Mike too, but this 'not one of you' attitude grates after a while through the sheer hypocrisy of it.

That's one thing I can assure you Jorunn isn't. Whether he gets a back hander every now and then for being a prominent content creator for SC is another matter...who can tell these days? The waters are well muddied already by the likes of Mike, RexZilla and others.

I mean, i like CQC, its fun.
Et tu, Brute?
MODS!!!

That wasn't what CRobber said, you FUDster! He said that he will hire just a quarter of devs required for this project. Marketing spendings would be the same as any regular publisher.
1612262573127.png

And if you wonder where the salaries of 3/4 of all devs he had not hired go, well, the answer is
1612262841655.png

Regarding the gossip, rudeness and 3rd-party, what would happen if this thread was managed by CI-G, I wonder?
1612262498792.png

Oh wait, that's Spectrum!

Wait a minute, are you guys saying certain people on the internet can be compensated in various means either directly or indirectly by CIG and other companies in order to portray themselves as legitimate customers when in fact they are not, making them part of the marketing campaign for the single most expensive collection of pixels in the history of gaming?

I need some air.. this.. this changes everything. My faith in the internet, nay, humanity as a whole, has tumbled to new lows.

Wait a minute, are you guys saying certain people on the internet can be compensated in various means either directly or indirectly by CIG and other companies in order to portray themselves as legitimate customers when in fact they are not, making them part of the marketing campaign for the single most expensive collection of pixels in the history of gaming?

I need some air.. this.. this changes everything. My faith in the internet, nay, humanity as a whole, has tumbled to new lows.

@CIG - am willing to shill. Must pay better than Derek Smart!

If you feel it is okay to mock other people, who did absolutely nothing wrong beyond spending their own money on stuff you don't like, for literally years on end then you lose the right to be outraged about people calling you out on it.

I genuinely don't care about the daft slurs you're throwing out. I do think they make you a massive hypocrite in this context though. One to ponder maybe.

And once again you're aiming your ire at a simplistic strawman, and ignoring the attempts to point this out to you. The targets of the mocking have done more than just spend money on dubious stuff. In this case, Jorunn is doing some classic mis-selling of that same stuff:

Let's break it down shall we:

Large ships will take dozens of players to operate?

So.... how's thaat work out with 50 player server limits?

Claim: "the interior is fully 1-1 scale modeled".
Reality: The ship in that footage is a hollow shell. (Various demos of the interior assets have been shown, but never deployed in a playable build.)

Claim: "[It] will require a crew of dozens of players and NPCs to operate"
Reality:
  • To get the above hollow shell + turrets into the test servers alongside other hollow capital-class ships they had to remove a large asteroid base and reduce the player cap from 50 to 40. And it still drops to sub 20fps on a 3080. (Even though empty space is the one area they can normally get 60fps+).
  • Given the state of the networking & performance 8 years+ after Kickstarter, and their missed goals to support a 100k player shard by 2019 (and indeed earlier), the Idris becoming a functional multicrew ship is far from a certainty. (If they can't get their mythical 'server meshing' to work a handful of Idris will max out their server cap in no time, for a start.)
Bonus side-note: The Idris retails for $1,000+

Agony's aside very pithily captures some key issues with those dreamy statements.

And that's a key point about a lot of the finger pointing that is done here, and elsewhere. It streamlines the above detail into easily digestible rejoinders, which can be used to counter the more absurd oversell. (And give any interested noobs the nod that not all is as shiny as it seems).

Plenty of people in this thread do go out and do that periodically. But it ain't a daily thing, at least not for me, because forget that noise. Who needs the flack?

Last edited:
They just told me to f-off when I offered to shill SC in exchange for a $5k PC...even offered to paint my cows with cow sized Idris's :rolleyes:
Dear Mole, obviously you made a marketing mistake. Your cows must buy their Idris jpegs from Holy Roberts, not receive it from you for free.
I believe if you alter the deal the way I pictured, CRobber will be happy to accept it.

And it still drops to sub 20fps on a 3080. (Even though empty space is the one area they can normally get 60fps+).
Your hardware is clearly sub-par. Upgrade to the recommended specs before blaming it on the software.
1612268414669.png

Last edited:
Top Bottom