Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Some people are merely politely asking...
bungholes
whomever does it is a pretty mediocre person
this is just sad.

I dunno man, is it really necessary to fling this low grade poop around? (Isn't that, like, worse than poking fun at someone who's not even aware of it?)

Especially when you should know what is actually being ridiculed here. It's the MLM-style stuff that pervades the sunk-cost fellas CIG has accrued, and which they have actively encouraged.

The thing is, a majority of these individuals aren't random. They are well known signal boosters by virtue of their attempted engagement with the world outside their little dream bubble.

Let me put it another way, I got into an argument with Lando on twitter over the semantics of "How many people worked on Star Citizen in 2012". He pointed to a CIG media factoid that he himself created as proof that CIG only had 7 employees, thus "development" in 2012 can not be compared to development in 2020. I pointed out that this factoid was grossly omitting context, like the employees of CryTek bending the engine to create that "work-in-progress" sizzle reel and demo, or the artists at CGBot that converted the concept art into CryEngine assets. He went on to say that his point still stood and everything else that wasn't his point was irrelevant, to which I reiterated context matters. Sure, this was Lando's private twitter, and he loves to emphasize that it is not work related. But when a prominent signal booster, much less a CIG employee, lends or invents credence to misinformation or even lies, I would argue that those who know the truth and have the means to communicate it have a social obligation to correct that misinformation and/or dispel that lie. Especially when immense monetary transactions are involved.

It's like shouting into a large valley "Star Citizen is the best game ever" to hear it echo, and then on the other side someone shouts back "How much are you in for commando". Public statements are subject to public criticism.

I dunno man, is it really necessary to fling this low grade poop around? (Isn't that, like, worse than poking fun at someone who's not even aware of it?)

If you feel it is okay to mock other people, who did absolutely nothing wrong beyond spending their own money on stuff you don't like, for literally years on end then you lose the right to be outraged about people calling you out on it. If that is a problem to you, I suggest going to SA like Agony does. That safe space is 100% safe, and you can point and laugh and mock other gamers behind their back as much as you want while feeling super smug and woke about it. All without getting any push-back for only $10, neat! (y)

@Ian Skippy @Pug The point is that finding consumers paying tens of thousands of dollars before a product is released, in a market where similar products cost $60, is a pattern indicative of a scam.

Absolutely nothing whatsoever in the tweet quoted by Agony contributes to that argument in any way whatsoever. If you guys really wanted to make that point all this gloating and mocking would be completely unneeded.

The thing is, a majority of these individuals aren't random. They are well known signal boosters by virtue of their attempted engagement with the world outside their little dream bubble.

Let me put it another way, I got into an argument with Lando on twitter over the semantics of "How many people worked on Star Citizen in 2012". He pointed to a CIG media factoid that he himself created as proof that CIG only had 7 employees, thus "development" in 2012 can not be compared to development in 2020. I pointed out that this factoid was grossly omitting context, like the employees of CryTek bending the engine to create that "work-in-progress" sizzle reel and demo, or the artists at CGBot that converted the concept art into CryEngine assets. He went on to say that his point still stood and everything else that wasn't his point was irrelevant, to which I reiterated context matters. Sure, this was Lando's private twitter, and he loves to emphasize that it is not work related. But when a prominent signal booster, much less a CIG employee, lends or invents credence to misinformation or even lies, I would argue that those who know the truth and have the means to communicate it have a social obligation to correct that misinformation and/or dispel that lie. Especially when immense monetary transactions are involved.

It's like shouting into a large valley "Star Citizen is the best game ever" to hear it echo, and then on the other side someone shouts back "How much are you in for commando". Public statements are subject to public criticism.

1) Jorunn is not a CIG employee.
2) You are not 'correcting misinformation', you guys are mocking a dude in your own safe little echo chamber where everyone already is on the same page. If Agony or any of you wanted to correct anything, you'd respond to him on Twitter.

There is no true intention of actually improving anything here, or doing anything constructive whatsoever (apart from our friendly The Agent, who I believe actually wants to make an effort). This is just Schadenfreude at the expense of other people who truly do not deserve that. At least just own up to that and drop the Holy Crusader act.

Last edited:
Nobody is asking anyone to ignore SC or CIG. Some people are merely politely asking if it is really, truly and absolutely essential to be a royal dingleberry to other gamers behind their backs just to make some point about how crappy some computer game is. I know Star Citizen is a Big Deal, and I'd hate to get in the way of this Crusade you guys have going, but I am still unsure why it is so absolutely essential to be bungholes about it. Is it really impossible to just focus on the game and the people responsible for it, and leave random individuals who are having fun out of it?

What amazes me is that you're still trying to be the internet police. Surely you realise the futility of policing anonymous randoms? Are you policing the other million forums on the internet? Are you winning?

What amazes me is that you're still trying to be the internet police.

I love this argument.

"Hahahahahaha, look at all these people being dumb stupid morons!!!!"
"That is a bit of a rude thing to say...."
"HOW DARE YOU POLICE US WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH YOU CANT CENSOR US WE WILL NEVER GIVE UP OUR WAY OF LIFE!!!!!!!!"

I know its winter and all, but where I live we don't have this many snowflakes.

There are more snowflakes in my oven than there are Sandwurmies in Star Citizen.

I suspect there are actually the same number of 'em, but CIG at least went through the effort to pretend they had one. Come on man, why not outdo them. CGI us two snowflakes in your oven. Bonus points if it takes you less than five years and 170 million dollars.

I suspect there are actually the same number of 'em, but CIG at least went through the effort to pretend they had one.

Hmmm.

snflkss.jpg

This is just Schadenfreude at the expense of other people who truly do not deserve that.
I can't think of a better case where schadenfreude is 100% valid, due to the person's public behavior.

The other very weird strain among backers is this ultra Ayn Rand ideology where businesses, including scammers, should literally be allowed to do anything they want in the pursuit of money. It is literally pro-scammer.

"HOW DARE YOU POLICE US WE HAVE FREEDOM OF SPEECH YOU CANT CENSOR US WE WILL NEVER GIVE UP OUR WAY OF LIFE!!!!!!!!"

Nope, didn't say it, nor was it even slightly implied. I said I was amazed at the futility of what you're trying to do.

I know its winter and all, but where I live we don't have this many snowflakes.

Ah, surely the snowflake is the person that gets upset when anonymous randoms might be mocking other anonymous randoms on the internet. ;)

I can't think of a better case where schadenfreude is 100% valid, due to the person's public behavior.

Schadenfreude, no matter how valid you feel it may be, is always a crappy thing.

The other very weird strain among backers is this ultra Ayn Rand ideology where businesses, including scammers, should literally be allowed to do anything they want in the pursuit of money. It is literally pro-scammer.

In case you were implying I am one of them, I am not saying anything like that. What I am saying is that roleplaying being the brave anti-corruption crusader is a crap excuse for just jerking around in some safe space internet forum mocking random individuals.

Nope, didn't say it, nor was it even slightly implied. I said I was amazed at the futility of what you're trying to do.

Ah, surely the snowflake is the person that gets upset when anonymous randoms might be mocking other anonymous randoms on the internet. ;)

I am neither upset, nor am I trying to do anything other than point at you lot and saying:"LoL@u2". It may not be much, but I am just a gorilla in a suit. What is your excuse?

The word "random" is doing a lot of work here. He is co-host of The Yacht Club show, where he identifies on the website that his rank is Wing Commander, meaning he has spent $10,000 on Star Citizen.

The Yacht Club

Is he a dev? Is he employed by the company? No? Then he is a random gamer. If you think it is normal to stalk someone online to find out how much he spends on a computer game, just to use it as an excuse to craptalk him behind his back on some internet safe space while pretending you are fighting some Great Injustice without ever actually engaging anyone involved in anyway way whatsoever: mate, Jorunn isn't the weirdest one of you two. :)

While I'm definitely not interested in the poop-slinging contest that's happening here, and more about reporting factual information on what's happening in SC proper (or its development/failure saga), I would add my 2 cents here that the people you are making fun of are indoctrinated into a cult. Handling cultists is a delicate matter, and confronting them with the hard cold reality, in a brutal manner, will lead to opposite results of what was expected. It will actually comfort them into their position of denying reality, and into their cocoon with other members, who will create the same kind of social media echo chamber that's running right here. I'm not using the word cultist lightly here - these people indeed spent an inconsiderate amount of money into a "dream" peddled by a guru who never delivered on it, and who's ran away with the money while asking for more, and to "believe in the plan" (does it remind you of something else ?). The cultists will also parrot every mantra uttered by their guru, or whoever they perceive as a figure of authority in their belief system. Trying to fight these magic thinking incantations ("You don't understand game development !" / "It's alpha !" / etc.) is entirely futile as they actually convey zero information, FWIW they could have been told that CiG had to "realign the dilithium matrix in order to bypass the quantum tunnel effect leading to server meshing" and they'd eat the words and repeat them around.
There are people who are specialized in saving people from cults, none of them are in these forums.
As for mocking silly Twitch (or other social media) videos, i'd point out that there are plenty around that are not centered on SC, and people will do stupid things whatever the subject is, like buying a streamer's bath water or even sending money to watch someone play video games instead of playing it themselves. Do they need to be judged too ? IDC. I think it's more important to keep the facts straight for SC and expose the scam as it is, rather than trying to go into a crusade against the cultists themselves.

Last edited:
Yeah, I doubt there is a single game on the planet that doesn't have some silly hyped fans making daft claims about it on twitter. Not sure what asking hypothetical questions to these people, on a forum they don't even visit, is supposed to accomplish but I guess Agony really showed them. Or something.

Top Bottom