General / Off-Topic The Mandalorian TV series

First I've heard it. What did she do?
She expressed conservative views on her personal Twitter account. Now the cancel-culture liberals want her fired. In case you think I'm a QAnon Trump supporter, I'm not (I voted for Biden), nor do I agree with everything Gina tweets on her personal account, but this "fire everyone who doesn't think exactly like I do" culture of ours is out of control and needs to be reigned in.

She expressed conservative views on her personal Twitter account. Now the cancel-culture liberals want her fired. In case you think I'm a QAnon Trump supporter, I'm not (I voted for Biden), nor do I agree with everything Gina tweets on her personal account, but this "fire everyone who doesn't think exactly like I do" culture of ours is out of control and needs to be reigned in.
The age of "wrong think" "word salad" and "made up gibberish"

'Conservative' is a bit euphemistic; I probably would have said 'radically false', but that's beside the point. Ultimately, they can fire her for nearly whatever reason they care to, just as she can say whatever she cares to (anti-discrimination laws are pretty toothless, by design). Some of the choices people and their collectives make are unfortunate, but it's their choice to make, and that goes both ways.

'Cancel culture' has always been a thing, there are just some generational shifts in precisely who is being 'canceled'. When I was a kid, it was recreational drug users. When my parents were growing up, it was anyone suspected of being a communist or homosexual. For the last several thousand years over most of the planet, it's been women. Today it's suspected racists, fascists, rapists, and dissemination of overt misinformation, among others (including most of the previously canceled, who are just more subtly biased against, now that it's less socially acceptable to be open about it).

Right now Disney is weighing the cost benefit ratio of ditching a popular role played by a socially problematic individual. Whatever they think will make them the most money in the long run is what they'll choose.

Yet again we meet at the same place in thoughts and opinions. 😊

Just started watching season 2 and will read this thread later........
I've been finding myself thinking about The Mandalorian a lot as I've been watching this season of The Expanse. Disney's episodes may be short, but most of them pack a serious punch and tell a lot of story in the 30+ minutes, whereas I feel like I've spent over 30+ minutes watching closeups of Naomi gasping for breath in The Expanse, to the point where I wanted to fast-forward the show. What started off as a good pace and gripping story in The Expanse turned into a slog and real letdown of a season finale, so much that I've almost lost interest in the show. The Mandalorian, on the other hand, really delivered IMO. I'm sad by this, because I find the world of The Expanse to be more compelling than even Star Wars - one is science fiction (with a good emphasis on science), the other is science fantasy. But the people producing The Mandalorian are top-notch, whereas The Expanse feels like it has been bitten by the Amazon "focus on some stupid detail for 10 minutes in the name of artistic expression" curse.

Ooops, not sure where this off-topic rant came from, LOL.

Last edited:
I too have opinions, not all of them gel with the bleating masses. Am I too a "socially problematic individual"?

Are you in a prominent, high visibility, well compensated, position where your personal views are highly public and could cause complications for your employer?

Carano's opinions gel with the bleating masses just fine, but probably not with the image Disney wants to project. They are in the position of being perceived to tacitly support her views by retaining her. She hasn't actually done anything, or been credibly accused of doing anything, so they can probably get away with ignoring it, but every time she posts something that doesn't jive with the party line, that's a liability for them. If she gets too controversial, they won't keep her around.

Are you in a prominent, high visibility, well compensated, position where your personal views are highly public and could cause complications for your employer?

Carano's opinions gel with the bleating masses just fine, but probably not with the image Disney wants to project. They are in the position of being perceived to tacitly support her views by retaining her. She hasn't actually done anything, or been credibly accused of doing anything, so they can probably get away with ignoring it, but every time she posts something that doesn't jive with the party line, that's a liability for them. If she gets too controversial, they won't keep her around.
I'm not looking to be dragged into a prolonged debate on this (and we probably aren't that much at odds anyway), but on a related note (below spoiler means SPOILER):

I just learned why my favorite Martian pilot died from a stroke. While I personally feel Disney would be overracting by firing Gina, I do understand why Alcon Entertainment fired Cas Anvar. I saddens me greatly, because I love his character, and until just now, I thought he was a swell guy IRL (he fought hard to bring back The Expanse after it was cancelled). But if the accusations are true, and the evidence seems to support it, then that's definitely a reason to let an actor go.

Ideally, I feel that people should be able to freely express whatever opinions and views they have, without fear of any repercussions beyond those inherent in the equal ability of others to do the same. Ideally, terms of employment would be clearly outlined in any contract and not subject to employer fiat or external pressures. Ideally, people would be free from penalty or ostracism until claims about them could be substantiated.

However, we do not live in an ideal world. Many of those most critical (speaking generally, not necessarily of anyone here) of what they perceive as 'cancel culture' were either expressly participating in or enabling such behavior, as long as it was those individuals and views they personally didn't favor that were bearing the brunt of it, or were entirely happy to stand aside as long as they weren't personally impacted. On top of that, many of our systems are so broken that societal pressure is the only way to counter overt injustice, which is a shame, as the standards for proof are not often high for even a well intentioned mob, and justice shouldn't depend on popularity.

I don't think there are any easy solutions to any of these perceived issues. It's hard to deny that informal and privately owned venues are critical to expression, but it's even harder to regulate those venues without descending into counterproductive hypocrisy. Financial mob justice and tyranny of the majority of voting with our wallets is about all we've really got.

On a more specific note, I don't know, nor do I particularly care about, Gina Carano or Cas Anvar. They were never going to be idols or role models of mine, and I doubt I'd get along well with either of them in person, but I try not to judge what I do not know. I think they are well suited to the characters they've become known for and I do not appreciate my fantasy entertainment being degraded because people cannot separate someone's professional work from their personal failings. I understand that one may not wish to support those whom they feel have harmed, or who are harming, the societies in which they live, but I really wish they could save the gallows for after these shows are concluded. Yes, this is entirely selfish of me.

Top Bottom