Allow buying and selling Mats

Heck no.

There is no sane price that could be given to materials that doesn't:
  • make actual material collection absolutely redundant; or
  • make any economic sense unless you farm the usual broken credit faucets
To provide more context, a G5 material is currently worth 400k. Credits are way too easy to obtain for that to be a meaningful value, and scaling that up to a higher value just places even more emphasis on broken credit grinds.

Heck no.

There is no sane price that could be given to materials that doesn't:
  • make actual material collection absolutely redundant; or
  • make any economic sense unless you farm the usual broken credit faucets
To provide more context, a G5 material is currently worth 400k. Credits are way too easy to obtain for that to be a meaningful value, and scaling that up to a higher value just places even more emphasis on broken credit grinds.

At 400k it would take me 10 minute to gather 60m worth of mats, all making mats tradable would do is shift the grind from mining to mat farming!

If they do away with premium ammo I would at least be willing to discuss it. But right now the PKers have to stop to go grind mats if they want to murder you 30% more efficiently.
If I could just buy mats with my otherwise nearly useless billions, all of my ammo would be premium all of the time.

ALLOW BUYING AND SELLING MATS
LET MATERIAL TRADERS BUY AND SELL MATS TO PLAYERS.
SINCE GRINDING IS SUCH A BIG ELEMENT IN GETTING MATS,
AND GETTING CREDITS, LET PLAYERS MAKE CREDITS SELLING MATS.
AND THOSE THAT CHOOSE, BUY MATS WITH CREDITS THEY HAVE
DONE THE WORK FOR.
THIS WILL ALLOW PLAYERS MORE FREEDOM IN THEIR PLAY STYLE,
DOING WHAT THEY ENJOY WITHOUT BEING FORCED TO DO THINGS
THEY DON'T LIKE, WHICH TURNS INTO A GRIND FOR THEM.

СУМКА БЛИН!!!

While it's easy to scoff at, would it be the worst thing in the world? I used to play another space game, open world and roleplay oriented, in which it was ridiculously easy and fast to get the best things in the game. Nobody had to grind basically, which meant they could focus on actually doing stuff and interacting.

The fear is that by removing all of these mind-numbing grinds there wouldn't actually be that much left to do. I don't think it's the case and I would definitely welcome anything that lessens the grind (mats and ranks being the worst offenders to me).
Grind has a very loose 'individual' definition.

But, assuming that everything was available to every player immediately, no need for credits, materials gathering, ranking up for the superpowers, no 'grindy' missions etc. Exactly what would the game have to offer a player? Serious question.

While I certainly understand the whole, the game needs challenges and engagement, I have to say that it annoys the heck out of me that I cannot walk into a shipyard and buy components that are Obviously a normal part of ship construction because I am not an NPC.

Grind has a very loose 'individual' definition.

But, assuming that everything was available to every player immediately, no need for credits, materials gathering, ranking up for the superpowers, no 'grindy' missions etc. Exactly what would the game have to offer a player? Serious question.
I'm not saying get rid of the grind completely, I'm saying tone down the more egregious examples. Besides, do you really need a carrot on a stick to do anything within the universe? Is the only incentive the material gain? I find it really hard to believe.

I would probably spend my time exploring, PvPing, doing BGS stuff and finding other cool ways to interact with players. I would still mine, trade and bounty hunt, but I would most certainly not spend hours relogging at Jameson's crash site.

I'm not saying get rid of the grind completely, I'm saying tone down the more egregious examples. Besides, do you really need a carrot on a stick to do anything within the universe? Is the only incentive the material gain? I find it really hard to believe.

I would probably spend my time exploring, PvPing, doing BGS stuff and finding other cool ways to interact with players. I would still mine, trade and bounty hunt, but I would most certainly not spend hours relogging at Jameson's crash site.

So why are you spending hours reloggin at Jameson's crash site?

There are multiple OTHER activites to get that stuff, you know just by playing the game... the only reason why you do it that way, is that you are looking for the quick and easy fix to get to a certain goal, and here gameplay enjoyment is not a factor, you CHOOSE one of the most repetetive ways to it on. And all that other talk about finding other ways to interact etc, etc, is just trash talk... as you have already proved that you after the fastest way to get to a goal, and that does obviously not include doing things with friends or just other players.

Newsflash, you can get these things from doing BGS stuff as well. but it is probably not the most efficient way, but offers stuff todo TOGETHER with other players, and achieve multiple effects at the same time. BGS influence, ,mission rewards, hopefully having fun with friends, all in one package.

so why are you actively choosing the the most boring repeatedly way todo things on?

So why are you spending hours reloggin at Jameson's crash site?

There are multiple OTHER activites to get that stuff, you know just by playing the game... the only reason why you do it that way, is that you are looking for the quick and easy fix to get to a certain goal, and here gameplay enjoyment is not a factor, you CHOOSE one of the most repetetive ways to it on. And all that other talk about finding other ways to interact etc, etc, is just trash talk... as you have already proved that you after the fastest way to get to a goal, and that does obviously not include doing things with friends or just other players.

Newsflash, you can get these things from doing BGS stuff as well. but it is probably not the most efficient way, but offers stuff todo TOGETHER with other players, and achieve multiple effects at the same time. BGS influence, ,mission rewards, hopefully having fun with friends, all in one package.

so why are you actively choosing the the most boring repeatedly way todo things on?
That's a rather weird way of twisting what I said. In the specific case of encoded data, I should hope to randomly get it offered as a mission reward I may or may not be able to do or... sit outside a base and scan wakes? Neither is particularly enticing and yes, I'd rather relog at Jameson for half an hour and move on to something actually enjoyable.

Besides attacking what I said for no obvious reason and no actual counterpoint, you haven't provided one reason why the grind for materials should remain the way it is. I can appreciate a good gameplay loop and progression system that keeps players hooked and wanting more, but this one certainly is not.

Me too. Wouldn't mind making tons of credits out of selling mats to those who think it's a grind.

Yeah, I did ask Frontier (In the suggestions) if they'd consider letting us have a Mat Trader on our FC's, we could fill their bins, other CMDR's could purchase that way. Roll into town once a year, filled to the gills. Make a killing, roll out. What a life.

The one thing I have never understood is that people don't like collecting mats, that is fair enough, I cant stand fishing, but some of those that talk about not liking collecting mats happily sat in a mining ship, grinding away on an egg to get an FC. You shoot a rock in a ship or you shoot a rock in an SRV, the only difference is, one you're doing for money. So it's an ok sport when money is involved?

The thing is about time as well, isn't it? I want the best engineered weapons/shield/whatever and I want it now. Well, you're going to have to work for it. If they sold mats, I suppose, you might as well do away with engineering, what would the point be?

That's a rather weird way of twisting what I said. In the specific case of encoded data, I should hope to randomly get it offered as a mission reward I may or may not be able to do or... sit outside a base and scan wakes? Neither is particularly enticing and yes, I'd rather relog at Jameson for half an hour and move on to something actually enjoyable.

Besides attacking what I said for no obvious reason and no actual counterpoint, you haven't provided one reason why the grind for materials should remain the way it is. I can appreciate a good gameplay loop and progression system that keeps players hooked and wanting more, but this one certainly is not.

What have I twisted, it is clear that you have chosen to take the most repetitive route to gather something, instead of playing the game.
You have now clearly acknowledged that you know that there are atleast two other sources for this material.

It is also pretty clear from your statement that have no intention of trying to combine gathering material, here and there with the rest of your gameplay. So it is not far get to to the conclusion that the only time tyou want to gather stuff, is for when it is needed, which of course send you down the rabbit hole I need it now, and I need fast, which is supported by your comment about randomly given as reward,

So lets make a thought experiment, lets just remove all engineering completely, if that is so much trouble and boiring gameplay to do, why even have it in left in the game then? would this make the game better or worse? we would remove alot that grind that you are complaning about.

What have I twisted, it is clear that you have chosen to take the most repetitive route to gather something, instead of playing the game.
You have now clearly acknowledged that you know that there are atleast two other sources for this material.

It is also pretty clear from your statement that have no intention of trying to combine gathering material, here and there with the rest of your gameplay. So it is not far get to to the conclusion that the only time tyou want to gather stuff, is for when it is needed, which of course send you down the rabbit hole I need it now, and I need fast, which is supported by your comment about randomly given as reward,

So lets make a thought experiment, lets just remove all engineering completely, if that is so much trouble and boiring gameplay to do, why even have it in left in the game then? would this make the game better or worse? we would remove alot that grind that you are complaning about.
You're not wrong at all, but it still does not address what I'm actually trying to say. Who does the current system benefit and who would it hurt if it was toned down?

With regards to the last paragraph, I'm not one for extreme measures. As I said, I'm not advocating getting rid of the grind altogether, just making it less tedious. Yes, I did chose the tedium - the alternative would've been doing something less tedious but for a significantly longer period of time (which would be tedious in different way).

So we have the dilemma... Just playing and doing a variety of activities will collect mats at a reasonable rate... But not at a very fast one (relatively speaking)... Or 'grinding' away because of 'want it now'...

Of course the grinder doesn't want to grind really, only to have things much quicker than just playing. Simple really, isn't it?

I'd love to be able to sell off G4 & G5 mats to the willing to buy, but at my own price, not a set one :)

but I would most certainly not spend hours relogging at Jameson's crash site.

You spend hours mindlessly relogging at Jameson's crash site because you choose to relog at Jameson's crash site, no-one is making you do that. There are, as already pointed out, plenty of other ways to get those same mats without doing that, but you have obviously decided this is the easiest way for you to get them, and that that only easier way is if you can get them by doing nothing at all.

Endlessly relogging at Jameson's crash site certainly isn't what I would classify as a grind, it's just an easy way to get those particular mats, yes it takes time, but that's down to the player not the game.

You have a strange idea of what a game grind is, that's not one, that's a self inflicted punishment.

It would get exploited.

yes. what's not to like?

as if an in-game currency explosion as a lame excuse for progression gameplay were something positive. best get rid of it and if you can't, exploit it 🤡 (and make it look like an accident!)

You spend hours mindlessly relogging at Jameson's crash site because you choose to relog at Jameson's crash site, no-one is making you do that. There are, as already pointed out, plenty of other ways to get those same mats without doing that, but you have obviously decided this is the easiest way for you to get them, and that that only easier way is if you can get them by doing nothing at all.

Endlessly relogging at Jameson's crash site certainly isn't what I would classify as a grind, it's just an easy way to get those particular mats, yes it takes time, but that's down to the player not the game.

You have a strange idea of what a game grind is, that's not one, that's a self inflicted punishment.
With the risk of repeating myself, please answer the following question:

" Who does the current system benefit and who would it hurt if it was toned down? "

I'm not denying any of the above because you're right, but that's not the point I'm making.

Top Bottom