Ships And the winner for best "locket" ship is....

My soul is on pain when I have 120 storage occupied, and I just want to experiment a new weapon/ship - all those modules I sweated a lot to rise them a G5, all those thousands LY traveled to get those fancy grade V raw.... frak the "spring-cleaning", I enjoy being a dirty module hoarder : p
You misunderstand me. "Spring cleaning" in my case is painstakingly scrolling through the list to sell the odd cargo racks and fuel scoops that pile up in dusty corners. It's very rare that I actually sell an engineered module.

So, guys, in your opinion what are our best ships / choices to avoid the "120 limit" modules7weapons storage ?

I mean something viable for credits invested vs "room space" for modules/weapons ....

Ships you buy only to store things on them, not to fly them.

I bought myself some 3 Federal Drop locket ships , I found the price decent for the purpose and enough room to store all the Tier II weapons and some internals - I suffer a lot to be forced to sell a module / weapon fully engineered at grade 5 only bc I have no more storage available...

The FDS seems to me a decent choice, relatively cheap.

What are your ways, dear Commanders ? .....
I think this says it all :D

54645634.JPG

I'm in the same boat. I'm not gonna sell an unused engineered G5 weapon/module. The 120 part cap is always near the limit for me, especially because I don't engineer the same thing twice (except for things that stack). I hate going back to ships to transfer stuff as I spend so much time doing that.

The current outfitting is just too time consuming. The silly animations that occur when transferring weapons/utility mounts is far too slow on larger ships. Swapping to another ship to transfer a part you want forces another animation before you can outfit as well.

But I haven't bought dedicated storage ships yet. I just bought 1 of each ship, and they all store 'junk'. So maybe I'm not in as bad of a storage crisis as some on here...
edit: I'm at 20b credits spend on outfitting, 4b on ships for reference :)

Tbh, to me it doesn't. How did you annihilate 40 B in assets? So many deaths without rebuy? ^^
It was the good old days when there was an mission that you could complete on the spot with a viper, rebuy was like 10000cr and mission income was like 3 million. but the big CRs I have earned was painite mining. Unfortunately both are nerfade now ;)

Heh ^^ never heard of that Viper thing before, but ofc I've only played the game for a year.

No, what I mean is: it says there you spent 14B on ships, 51B on modules, which makes for a total of 65B, but your current assets are only valued at 25B.
Since you get 100% refund when you sell stuff, and there is nothing like taxes or anything in the game, that means that you somehow must have "lost" at least 40B worth in ships and modules, not counting your current cash reserves. I suppose you'll have at least one FC, but I think they haven't been in the game long enough to rack up that kind of upkeep.

In comparison, when I add up my expenses for ships and modules, and add my cash reserve, the result is very close to the "Current Assets" total. The small difference of about 25 Mil that isn't covered by maintenance must have been various faction donations.
It's kinda made me aware of how few ways of destroying assets there are in this game: FC upkeep / decomissioning, not rebuying lost ships, and donations. Can't think of anything else.

Heh ^^ never heard of that Viper thing before, but ofc I've only played the game for a year.

No, what I mean is: it says there you spent 14B on ships, 51B on modules, which makes for a total of 65B, but your current assets are only valued at 25B.
Since you get 100% refund when you sell stuff, and there is nothing like taxes or anything in the game, that means that you somehow must have "lost" at least 40B worth in ships and modules, not counting your current cash reserves. I suppose you'll have at least one FC, but I think they haven't been in the game long enough to rack up that kind of upkeep.

In comparison, when I add up my expenses for ships and modules, and add my cash reserve, the result is very close to the "Current Assets" total. The small difference of about 25 Mil that isn't covered by maintenance must have been various faction donations.
It's kinda made me aware of how few ways of destroying assets there are in this game: FC upkeep / decomissioning, not rebuying lost ships, and donations. Can't think of anything else.
I have no idea why it counts that way, but I hope someone has an explanation for it.

There's a few more ways than that to destroy assets, although by and large they take a little work. You can lose a lot of money on unprofitable trading if you put your mind to do it, although there's not a ton of reasons to do that. It's also pretty expensive to, for example, transfer a fleet of larger ships to Colonia and back. Fleet carriers will certainly give people the opportunity to literally burn quite a bit of money on tritium fuel, although 40B seems excessive given how long they've been in the game. Given the number of rebuys and amount to spent on repairs and ammunition in that screenshot, I wonder if it's instead down to extensive criminal activity.

Bounties increase dramatically once you become notorious, which is why you sometimes see players on a station bounty board with billion+ credit bounties. If you manage to get destroyed, then of course you have to either pay the bounty or lose the ship you are in. The other mechanic that comes to mind is that, even with a hundred credit bounty, you take a steep loss if you sell a ship or module while it is legally hot. That makes sense, since bounties are attached to ships not players, as a way to deter criminals from evading their punishments by selling the wanted ship. Either way, if your hobbies include driving systems into lockdown by destroying tons of system authority vessels, I can definitely see posting some extremely large losses over time.

Although now that I'm thinking about it, I wonder if there's a simpler explanation. If you bought and sold the same million credit module a thousand times, would you end up with a billion credits spent on modules but only a million in assets, according to this chart?

Last edited:
I've never understood this problem. I've been playing this game for almost four years now....and don't even have 60 modules in storage for any of my four accounts. What are all you guys keeping? I assume engineered modules?

I forgot that I have stored at least 50 powerplay modules from each powerplay faction(take a year), and have 3 main account with 18 free accounts sitting in my FC hangar with a T9 filled with 790 tritium each.

I've never understood this problem. I've been playing this game for almost four years now....and don't even have 60 modules in storage for any of my four accounts. What are all you guys keeping? I assume engineered modules?
Lots of engineered weapons,
Some leftover modules,
Some stuff like fuel scoops to put into combat ships,
and unenginered powerplay stuff for later use.

Just a simple example - passengers cabins ! Very few places to buy some models ; you are out of bubble, at some distant station 5-600 ly, you need a passenger mission run BUT you need first to travel some extra 500 yl in order to buy/fit them.... or grade A collectors - here in Maia are no sellers for that, I need to travel 300 yl in order to buy a darn collector limpet grade A.... so yeah, I can give you dozens of reasons for, but I hope you get the direction...
Add the engineered weapons / modules, add the power weapons you waited a month for each, in order to get them so you won't like to sell them right ?....
When you do the math, at the end, 120 slots are, by far, not a great number...

Lots of engineered weapons,
Some leftover modules,
Some stuff like fuel scoops to put into combat ships,
and unenginered powerplay stuff for later use.
Makes sense I guess. I just have 20 something ships so I don't do a lot of swapping around. I build a ship for a purpose and use it.

And as to powerplay modules. I literally have three. Prismatic sheilds equipped on my Cutter, Corvette, and T9. Never felt the need to get anything else....although packhounds for the lulz might be fun.

Just a simple example - passengers cabins ! Very few places to buy some models ; you are out of bubble, at some distant station 5-600 ly, you need a passenger mission run BUT you need first to travel some extra 500 yl in order to buy/fit them.... or grade A collectors - here in Maia are no sellers for that, I need to travel 300 yl in order to buy a darn collector limpet grade A.... so yeah, I can give you dozens of reasons for, but I hope you get the direction...
Add the engineered weapons / modules, add the power weapons you waited a month for each, in order to get them so you won't like to sell them right ?....
When you do the math, at the end, 120 slots are, by far, not a great number...

I wish there were better storage mechanics and that you have the opportunity to reuse your enginnered modules to a certain percentage of the materials you used instead of selling them at a cheap price that you have spent a lot of time with.

So, guys, in your opinion what are our best ships / choices to avoid the "120 limit" modules7weapons storage ?

I mean something viable for credits invested vs "room space" for modules/weapons ....

Ships you buy only to store things on them, not to fly them.

I bought myself some 3 Federal Drop locket ships , I found the price decent for the purpose and enough room to store all the Tier II weapons and some internals - I suffer a lot to be forced to sell a module / weapon fully engineered at grade 5 only bc I have no more storage available...

The FDS seems to me a decent choice, relatively cheap.

What are your ways, dear Commanders ? .....
If needed I use Cutters (class 8 slots), Beluga's (class 6 slots, lots of) and maybe the occasional Anaconda (up to class 4 Hardpoint & utilities). I have billions in FC bank so money not an objective either.😉

If you're mainly looking to store weapons, you can't get more efficient than a station full of Vipers and Vultures.

In my case, the module storage slowly fills up because I enjoy tinkering, and the workshop floor gradually accumulates modules I'm "not using right now" but don't care to sell because they're well-engineered or annoying to find. Or just simple impatience. Like, "oh look that's a tasty mission that I could do in one run if I just swap this HRP for an extra cargo rack, I'll buy it here rather than wait for one to transfer from the carrier" and after returning to base I transfer the HRP back home but 50/50 odds I forget to sell the cargo rack back.

Although FWIW I don't really use storage ships, unless you count a building a FGS or T10 to ferry weapons over to an engineer base en masse. When the module storage fills up that's the signal to do some spring cleaning, or possibly experiment with building an entire new ship from the scraps. :D

Yeah I also absolutely hate to sell engineered modules. And now I'm getting into the territory where module space is running short and I have bought my first couple of storage ships.

Most of these modules are weapons, though -- and for these, Maolagin already gave the answer:

Technically the DBX stores Large weapon cheaper (1.8M per Large HP compared to the Vulture's 2.5M), but then you'd have to switch ships for every single weapon you want to to swap out, and the 40 ship limit per station also fills up very quickly. OTOH the next step up would be the Krait and there you pay 8 times the price for just one extra slot. Etcetera.
So Vipers and Vultures it shall be for me.

As for other modules and Huge weapons -- meh, these can remain in the main storage I guess; there's not too much swapping out between these going on anyway. I have a handful of favourite mods and very few cases where I deviate from these.
Vipers and Vultures don't really help if you want to take your modules along on your carrier.
In that case you want as few hulls as possible with as many slot as possible (= Anaconda),
because the ship slots on a carrier are limited to ~40 (like on a starport) I carry already 30 ships on my carrier,
if I'd use a Viper and a Vulture for every storage ship, I'd be at the limit and would have less modules stored.

Vipers and Vultures don't really help if you want to take your modules along on your carrier.
In that case you want as few hulls as possible with as many slot as possible (= Anaconda),
because the ship slots on a carrier are limited to ~40 (like on a starport) I carry already 30 ships on my carrier,
if I'd use a Viper and a Vulture for every storage ship, I'd be at the limit and would have less modules stored.
True enough, different priorities will lead to different solutions. Just note that the original question asked about optimizing cost:

Top Bottom