I just got blown up by my own carrier, while defending myself from the police that are meant to defend my carrier.

Rat in principle I agree with you but as "immersion" is cited as being important for a lot of players....this one is just a bit too far. I mean it's just SO nonsensical and requires such a suspension of disbelief as to break immersion.

I don't mind a game that punishes us for making mistakes. The punishment just needs to be make some kind of sense imo.
Loiter over a pad, get stuck a little too long in the mailslot, come in a bit quick to a station and take out that Sidey just leaving, have a single stray shot hit the station when 'taking care' of that pirate after your tasty cargo...

All of these are 'punished' by deleting YOUR ship...

By the time a player has raised 5 billion plus in the game a basic understanding of how quickly things go downhill when being careless should have been indelibly marked in memory.

Acts of aggression, even against a 'friendly' are generally answered by lethal force - it is the game we play. Is the OP going to insist it was just a single shot hit their FC?

I don't mind your disagreeing with me - I make my comments from my own past errors, of which I have made plenty - and fully intend to make plenty more ;)

It’s irrelevant how much the carrier cost.

Semantics. He fired a shot that landed on the carrier. Same way as if you fire and it lands on the Space Cops, they more often than not do not let you off.

The in game logic would be, there are people on that Carrier and someone is shooting at them. Be that someone they know or not, they would be right to defend themselves.
but those people on the carrier should realise that they are shooting the one that runs it, essentially their boss, if they know that the cops hitting the carrier isn't something they should retaliate too they should probably also realise shooting their boss is counter productive too, or that they probably arnt attacking the carrier, its not 'someone' shooting them, its their boss, thats the point

Interestingly, the Carrier doesn’t greet the ‘owner’ any different than it does any other ship. Mine is always saying ‘Keep your throttle low and we’ll get on just fine’, technically, I’m his boss.

Also, if every landing pad was being used on your Carrier, you’d be refused docking permission.

So it stands to reason that you get no preferential treatment if you shoot at it, accidentally or not.

but those people on the carrier should realise that they are shooting the one that runs it, essentially their boss, if they know that the cops hitting the carrier isn't something they should retaliate too they should probably also realise shooting their boss is counter productive too, or that they probably arnt attacking the carrier, its not 'someone' shooting them, its their boss, thats the point
If a naval CMDR sat out in a dingy taking pot shots at the main ship, they’d have to react, they would have to incapacitate them somehow.

Loiter over a pad, get stuck a little too long in the mailslot, come in a bit quick to a station and take out that Sidey just leaving, have a single stray shot hit the station when 'taking care' of that pirate after your tasty cargo...

By the time a player has raised 5 billion plus in the game a basic understanding of how quickly things go downhill when being careless should have been indelibly marked in memory.

Acts of aggression, even against a 'friendly' are generally answered by lethal force - it is the game we play. Is the OP going to insist it was just a single shot hit their FC?

I don't mind your disagreeing with me - I make my comments from my own past errors, of which I have made plenty - and fully intend to make plenty more ;)
It wasnt an act of aggression, when youre fighting in a CZ/hazres and another ship flies into your line of fire for half a second you dont get punished for it, because it was an accident. The moment my gimballed multis pointed toward the carrier I stopped firing. No, im not insisting only one bullet hit my carrier, but my guns were on it for half a second while I was targeting a ship 2km away.

My main complaint is the gameplay loop the game put me in, I am defenceless around my 5 billion credit investment. If I try to defend myself, I get blown up. That's not fun gameplay, it doesent matter that I dont "own" the carrier, just "lease it", the way it works at the moment puts the player in an awful situation where they are defenceless, the only option is to run or stay on the pad, watching the cops shoot me (with a ton of stray shots hitting the carrier btw)

The difference is that is a station, this is your ship, stations are controlled by a faction, the carrier is controlled by you

If a naval CMDR sat out in a dingy taking pot shots at the main ship, they’d have to react, they would have to incapacitate them somehow.
If a naval CMDR sat out on a dingy and took pot shots at the main ship, it would be incredibly obvious that they are trying to shoot the main ship. I wasnt taking pot shots at my FC I was defending my life from a hostile ship and a few of those bullets hit it. If said naval CMDR was on that dingy shooting at an enemy, and one of those bullets hit the main ship by accident, no, they wouldnt have to react

Sure, install an ‘easy’ mode where you can just hang on to your triggers without using any skill. The problem isn’t the carrier, the problem is not being accurate with your shooting.

Interestingly, the Carrier doesn’t greet the ‘owner’ any different than it does any other ship. Mine is always saying ‘Keep your throttle low and we’ll get on just fine’, technically, I’m his boss.

Also, if every landing pad was being used on your Carrier, you’d be refused docking permission.

So it stands to reason that you get no preferential treatment if you shoot at it, accidentally or not.
your just stating more things that dont make sense and should be changed

I am defenceless around my 5 billion credit investment.
No, you are not - you can shoot as much as you wish, providing it isn't toward the carrier - a small 'caveat' I know...

I tested firing upon my first FC in a Courier on the day I 'bought' it... Yeah 600k rebuy and some useful knowledge... Exactly the same as my first 'friendly fire' hit a station.

Maybe, as my game CMDRs are all criminally inclined, I am just too 'careful' as I actually need to know the results of an error - it does make a difference.

But, again, I wouldn't deliberately park my FC in a hostile system and play 'tag' with SysSec either, I'd be off the FC and boosting out of the masslock, then doing a bit more war with the controlling faction, and repeating the 'dodge' landing - or sending the FC to another nearby system if I'd taken damage whilst out being a wasp...

Different approaches - same learning experience - We don't make the rules in the game, so it is incredibly useful to know the ones that matter.

Sure I guess, although that implies intent and the OP made a common combat mistake: friendly fire.

Would they train the 16-inch guns on the guy and pound his dingy into sawdust? Probably not....
If the same naval CMDR, in a battle was opening fire and hitting some of his own fleet, they might relieve him of his duty, which the carrier did with aplomb.

It is fantastically easy to not shoot your own carrier. I’ve done it every time I’ve played since owning one. Most days, for months I have managed to not shoot my own carrier. Easy.

It is fantastically easy to not shoot your own carrier. I’ve done it every time I’ve played since owning one. Most days, for months I have managed to not shoot my own carrier. Easy.

It is fantastically easy to put yourself in another person's shoes and see their point of view as well. Something I recall you lecturing others on just yesterday...

I think the OP is just pis#ed that his own carrier murdered him. Not that this will be some ongoing issue for him.

Top Bottom