Would you use an exploit in Elite Dangerous?

Taking advantage of any ridiculous gold rushes that Fdev bumbles into is part of the Elite experience.

Hell, we can even use the major ones as a timeline of sorts lol.

In the past, making money was a proper slog (for better or worse). This would cause those gold rush systems to be flooded by players. Money was made, people were ganked, glorious fights happened.

They’re like spontaneous community goals, and can produce great memories.

edit: always get it while it’s good

No, they regarded it as issue.
And nobody was punished for using it

However, that was not the case for Rockforth fertilizer that was regarded as a Unintended Exploit and after it was fixed, people that used it had their money taken back (actually more than they got, because of SLF crew wages 😂 )

Edit: So i guess we have the answer... if it's regarded, by FD, as an Exploit, it is also punishable.
Quibble harder baby I'm almost there.

Quibble harder baby I'm almost there.

I have no idea where you are, but i know for sure where you aren't - in the board that decides what is and what is not an exploit in ED.

FD called the EGG an ISSUE, it's in the patch notes here on the forums. Nobody was punished for using it - it was just another gold rush (a major one, indeed)
FD called the same_station_buy_sell Rockforth Fertilizer an EXPLOIT, should be also on the forums. People that used it were punished.

you're welcome

I certainly haven't done things that FDev say are exploits, it's just not the way I want to play games. Generally I want the experience that the developers intended, so when they identify something as being outside that intended experience, that's where my interest in it ends. It's probably worth noting that my own view on this also means that the semantics I see so many people get so overwrought about don't really matter to me - it's enough for them to tell me that X is unintended; that;s the point at which I'd usually stop doing it. Whether they 'officially' class X as an exploit is relevant in terms of whether players can expect some form of punitive action, but irrelevant if I've not done it anyway.

Last edited:
Well, for the people that still push the theory that relogging for materials is an Exploit:
FD recently organized a CG that asked for Encoded materials. And they even placed Encoded Traders in the CG stations.
And what a relog fest it was...

We also had a CG asking for Ammonia Worlds.
So much for the people that call the Road to Riches an exploit.

QED

As I already established, exploits are morally neutral player behavior that is defined by players doing things that are not anticipated nor intended by the developers. However, exploits often become emergent gameplay. FDev does not need to establish what is an exploit. That is an independent judgment that carries no authority. It is merely calling a spade a spade. They do have the authority to establish bannable or otherwise improper player behavior. Those are two entirely different things, though any individual instances of player behavior may belong in both categories. FDev has shown a penchant for seizing onto that unexpected player behavior and using it to foster emergent gameplay opportunities. In closing, old school mission board flipping was scummy behavior that was literally crashing the game's servers and making everyone's gameplay experience worse. FDev did not ban for it, but they fixed the exploit. Banability does not define an exploit.

As a relatively new player, I've been watching those get rich quick schemes, relogs and other "exploits". IMO it depends on the person. I'd happily relog HGE's to get mats, mine Void Opals (back when that was decent), etc as long as it was FDev who didn't implement something right or said it was ok. IIRC relogs are allowed by FDev and its their choice if they're going to patch that however they wish to.

Grind is not really fun if you don't have (in my case IRL) friends to grind with or you don't have a big direct impact that's easy to get, eg. I would grind Fed/Imp ranks for the cool looking ships, but I keep wishing engineers gave cosmetic changes to your ship, like reflective plating having a reflective shine to it or etc. I don't think I would even be able to do a thing without EDSM, Coriolis, EDDB, Inara and Hutton Helper, they're practically a necessity for newbies like me.

The only multiplayer game I've used trainers in is Payday 2 and only because it was funny with all the dumb things you could do with said trainers, and I only played with friends or solo. Like Ben, I've also given myself infinite money and stuff in Cyberpunk, once again, cuz it was funny.

I truly feel sorry for those who feel the need to cheat. Their lives become a means to an end instead of experience itself.
^^ this is vv important. There is a difference in using cheats in a controlled environment, like singleplayer and co-op for FUN, keyword FUN, doing dumb like anti-gravity and guns that shoot chickens, and using word.exe in a CSGO Tournament and ruining the name OF YOUR COUNTRY, AND THE ENTIRE COMMUNITY YOU REPRESENT, NIKHIL!!!

Would you use an exploit?
Are there any things that you consider ok that others consider an exploit?
What is “too much”?
Does it make a difference that it’s a multiplayer game?
What about exploits in other games?

I habitually run with the framerate and bandwidth meters enabled at all times, primarily for diagnostic purposes (identifying performance and connection issues), but it's also virtually impossible to not notice the presence of other CMDRs in an instance this way. The exploit potential of this has been depreciated via new mechanisms like the CMDR log, but I do wish they'd change how networking is structured to make bandwidth less reliable a tool for gameplay, without reducing it's diagnostic utility.

I draw the line at doing anything that has no in-game context for the purpose of manipulating in-game events in a manner that would benefit my in-game character. Same for those things that are clearly out-of-place, or appear to be unintentional. So, I've always avoided things like relogging or suicidewindering.

That this is a multiplayer game makes all the difference. You can't cheat yourself, so exploiting unintended functionality for one's own benefit can only be meaningful in the context of other players.

benefit me at no cost to someone else

I'd argue that such a thing is an inherent contradiction in any game that has explicit or implied, direct or indirect, competitive elements.

What's an exploit?

Using a bug or other unintended mechanism in a way that would produce an unfair advantage. Everyone having access to the same bugs and unintended mechanism doesn't make something less of an exploit because not everyone can be presumed to know of them, or be equally willing to abuse them.

Point is, if it's not against the rules that means it is permitted.

Have you read the rules?

The blanket prohibition against 'cheats' would cover almost everything conceivable, including virtually everything you've listed as an example of what wasn't an exploit.

if it's regarded, by FD, as an Exploit, it is also punishable.

There is virtually no way to predict what FD will punish for, or explicitly declare an exploit. Such declarations are also pretty meaningless when they come after the fact.

FDev is all equivocations on the issue, because a noncommittal stance allows them ultimate flexibility.

FD called the EGG an ISSUE, it's in the patch notes here on the forums. Nobody was punished for using it - it was just another gold rush (a major one, indeed)

An issue (being able to regenerate the contents of a rock) that's unfairly exploited (the rational assumption here is that this would be unintended, which would deter a significant fraction from exploiting it) for one's benefit is a cheat (by the only relevant definition of the word in this language). Frontier not punishing people for it doesn't change what it is, or that it appeared to be against the rules of the game, until they announced it could no longer be done.

As I already established, exploits are morally neutral player behavior that is defined by players doing things that are not anticipated nor intended by the developers. However, exploits often become emergent gameplay. FDev does not need to establish what is an exploit. That is an independent judgment that carries no authority. It is merely calling a spade a spade. They do have the authority to establish bannable or otherwise improper player behavior. Those are two entirely different things, though any individual instances of player behavior may belong in both categories. FDev has shown a penchant for seizing onto that unexpected player behavior and using it to foster emergent gameplay opportunities. In closing, old school mission board flipping was scummy behavior that was literally crashing the game's servers and making everyone's gameplay experience worse. FDev did not ban for it, but they fixed the exploit. Banability does not define an exploit.

I agree with most of this, except your basic definition. A bug exploit, in this context, is a subset of cheat. The connotation is implicitly negative, not neutral. Such exploits aren't just things that aren't anticipated or intended, they are things that are abused to generate unfair advantage.

There is plenty of room for unanticipated, emergent, gameplay. However, if it violates the internal consistency of the setting, has no in-game context, or provides advantages beyond all legitimate precedent, it's probably not emergent content.

Last edited:
The definition of exploit is a little fuzzy compared to, say, infinite shield hacks etc.

I use eddb to find where to buy a particular ship build or to find rare resource (usually to find those ones to repair stations), otherwise just the overlay from the Trade Computer as it records only the places you have been.

I think relogging pretty bad in game design and wouldn't do it as it's just too "gamey" for me, but if you want to do it, go for your life!

I'd use an exxploit to remove gameplay I don't like. If I could mod out the crap travel mechanics by having 20k Ly jump range and just skip supercruise; yes. I'd do it without guilt because it would be a much more enjoyable game. I would consider it a fix; not an exploit.

I can't think of anything else I'd want to mod or exploit out of the game. Maybe the wait time for powerplay modules. Most issues I have with the game are rooted in the slow, boring travel mechanics.

As a dev, I have a very narrow view on what is an exploit.
Unless the operator goes out of the way to modify the intended behaviour, then I don't see it as an exploit, UNLESS the dev does patch that functionality out.

An example using FDev: logout / login. Not an exploit. It's been part of the game a long time that clearly the devs don't care / don't mind / accept as a feature.
Using bots: exploit. The game was not built with the intent to use bots to play.

My main account commander (Quantis) has not done any exploits.

Some of my other commanders have, just for the occasional experience in a game that needs more playability! ;)

Would you use an exploit?
Are there any things that you consider ok that others consider an exploit?
What is “too much”?
Does it make a difference that it’s a multiplayer game?
What about exploits in other games?

As we did last time, here's some of the Lave Radio Crew's initial thoughts...

Ben
  • I'd not use an exploit in multiplayer games
  • My take on an exploit in Elite, is probably far stronger than most peoples... I wont even do some acts that are potentially against the intent of the Developers... For example, back when the game was 1st released, Rare Trading allowed you to make ridiculous credits and so many of the early community made bank with it. I considered it an exploit and deliberately didn't do it. Frontier obviously nerfed Rare Trading to what we have today and no actions were taken against cmdrs who partook. Similarly I've not joined in on the Long Distance Passenger Mission Rush and so on!
  • I am not however whiter than white!!! I will use cheat codes etc to my hearts content in Single Player Games, for example in the Mass Effect games and Cyber Punk 2077 I've added materials to my games because I just can't be bothered with that side of what they call game play!!! Also I was banned for a month from playing GTA because I got sick of modders in the PC port putting flaming toilets on people all the time, so I used a mod menu to remove them. Rock Star banned me and zero'd my game...

Yes, you just don't know how much those C1 seismic charges are gonna cost!

0D7qcyb.png

its in the game so technically its not an eggsploit is it?

I'd never ever consider ...... wait? .....what? .... where? ..... gotta go, someone just made a Youtube vid about the latest FDEV unintended outcome that's resulted in Gold Rush 417.

I'd argue that such a thing is an inherent contradiction in any game that has explicit or implied, direct or indirect, competitive elements.
I was thinking more about the act itself in isolation, however given that this would be a time saver to allow me to get on with other things I take your point. Personally I look back on this as something that has cheapened the game, even if it's just a small amount, so I'm not recommending it or suggesting that there's a line which is OK for any actual exploits.

I would not use an exploit.

But must admit that when one which can be used competitively against other cmdrs has been reported to Frontier 2 years ago, has still not even been acknowledgement by Frontier let alone addressed, and is being used against you regularly by others to their gain I do start to question that stance and wonder whether the only way to play a fair game is to use it myself.

You also wonder whether a lack of comment by Frontier gives it tacit approval

If I'm low on mats I've relogged at HGEs and places like Bug Killer for a while to farm them. Like others have said, I don't go overboard with it. I can only stand to use the relog exploit for around 15 minutes anyway before I start dying of boredom.

However, I also think the exchange rates for mat traders warrant a little exploiting now and then. I wouldn't farm mats if they weren't bigger pirates than Archon Delaine.

Only if it's been something to benefit me at no cost to someone else.....

I just realized there is an exploit that I have used: changing my HUD colors. Cosmetic QoL, don't think it has much impact on others.

But in a competitive game relogging for extra materials IMO does effect overall outcomes relative to others (allowing some players to have more stuff than others in quicker time and less effort), and also breaks the gameplay universe created for the players experience. However it is rationalized it is a game cheat, whether known, allowed, or intended by the game creator or not. Games often have known cheats built into them*. They are still cheats.

The grey area of whether something is a game exploit because it stems from an unintended software bug or design issue doesn't change whether it is a cheat from intended game play. Often game flaws are known by a developer and nothing is done because... well for a variety of reasons, different topic.

If a player wants to cheat regular gameplay, go ahead. I don't care. If it overly effects me I won't play that game. (example I don't play blatant P2W games).

*Examples: Games with special methods to open secret back doors, unlimited ammo, invisibility, flying, god-mode, instant levels, etc. Regardless if its multiplayer, these are game cheats known and included by the developer, obviously not intended for regular game experience.

Last edited:
Top Bottom