If only ~1% of the galaxy is explored....

The official word was that the VisitedStarsCache itself was limited as a result of the custom download that used to be available, and that the ImportStars.txt import method was not "intentionally" disabled. So one was killed on purpose, the other was supposed to still work, but it doesn't.

Explored using the old system, you honked and saw everything, but until you actually pointed your ship at something and got close enough for the discovery scanner to do it's job you tagged exactly nothing. So stars are easy because you are right next to them, but if you were in a hurry it took far to long to tag everything, hence all undisovered except for the star.
Yes but under the old system, you did have to pause and point at the star in order to tag it.

Under the new system you get the star just by passing close to it.

So my guess is, this person passed through under the new system but was in a hurry and didn't honk.

We could ask them. Hey @kittykatze when you were last up in the Outer Scutum-Centarus Arm with your Korinne Eichwald account? I found a system where you had scanned only the main star, and it had an earth-like world it in. The full system name is: BLEAE FREAU WP-G D10-10

Last edited:
I would agree, if our ships with FSD were new and there was no generations of people able to travel around the Galaxy before us... We are not the first ones to travel across the Galaxy... Previous generations mapped the stars for us, it is now our task to expand the map and discover the planets and moons... ;)

Except they didn't. And even if they did, how and why would they visit every single system in the galaxy and not bother mapping out any of the planets and moons?

with which difference ?
jump to an unknown star instead of jumping to a star we know its spectral class.
There we do the same exact minigame to populate the system map
select next (unknown/known) star
rinse repeat

we didnt use 99,995% of the game-map Frontier created for us, now, after 6 years in the game.
What would be the only difference in your fog of war - galaxy ?
We wouldnt have used 99,9995% of the game provided :)

The difference would be that we would actually be discovering things. Sure, the routine would be mostly the same but when we jump into a new system and then look at the galaxy map we'd see systems we hadn't seen before. And then we'd be able to think "hey wow, there's a red giant over there that I couldn't see before, I should go check that out" or "there's a binary neutron star system" or whatever. It's like that thrill you get when you walk up a hill and then you can see the view around you, or when you turn a corner and can see what lies before you that you didn't know about before, which you don't really get on the current already-completed galaxy map because you know what's there already.

Also exploration would be more cautious too. You wouldn't be able to just plonk your cursor on a target system 10,000 ly away and get it to plot a route for you because you won't know how to get there (unless someone else already had) - you'd have to inch forward, reveal where you can go in the next jump or two, and then go there and inch forward again. I'm sure some or even many would view that as less convenient, but that's how exploration actually works - you have to plan routes and double back and find unexpected dead ends and so on.

The difference would be that we would actually be discovering things. Sure, the routine would be mostly the same but when we jump into a new system and then look at the galaxy map we'd see systems we hadn't seen before. And then we'd be able to think "hey wow, there's a red giant over there that I couldn't see before, I should go check that out" or "there's a binary neutron star system" or whatever. It's like that thrill you get when you walk up a hill and then you can see the view around you, or when you turn a corner and can see what lies before you that you didn't know about before, which you don't really get on the current already-completed galaxy map because you know what's there already.
thats why jumping in a system is like climbing on that hill, getting around that corner.
you can see whats on that hill / in that system, and explore it in detail.
And there are already maps from the mountain side hosting which hills :)

Also exploration would be more cautious too. You wouldn't be able to just plonk your cursor on a target system 10,000 ly away and get it to plot a route for you because you won't know how to get there (unless someone else already had) - you'd have to inch forward, reveal where you can go in the next jump or two, and then go there and inch forward again.
that sounds exactly how our ingame pioneers did it with their 100Ly route plotters,
or fringe explorers do it until today :)

I'm sure some or even many would view that as less convenient, but that's how exploration actually works - you have to plan routes and double back and find unexpected dead ends and so on.
there is a "for me" missing in "thats how exploration actually works" ;)

I understand your ideas/thoughts about this, and I'd liked it that way aswell.
But 6 years have past - I doubt anything will change or could be changed at all.
So there's imho no need to get sentimental about what could have been,
especially if that declassifies actual explorers :)

Also exploration would be more cautious too. You wouldn't be able to just plonk your cursor on a target system 10,000 ly away and get it to plot a route for you because you won't know how to get there (unless someone else already had) - you'd have to inch forward, reveal where you can go in the next jump or two, and then go there and inch forward again. I'm sure some or even many would view that as less convenient, but that's how exploration actually works - you have to plan routes and double back and find unexpected dead ends and so on.
Then u never quit bubble yet. Go +/- 1000 below/above plane between sleeves. There plotter is not working mostly. Have fun of "true exploration". You can repeat death race to Anaconda's graveyard for example. No way back included though :D (There are many such a places, that was 1st just).

Also, doesn't that 1% figure come from third-party tools that only a portion of explorers use? Has FDev ever said how many stars have been visited?
Yes, they've said it several times now, so we can even compare how many new systems per day were discovered (on average) between them. The last one was on Febr. 5, this year. For earlier numbers, see here. (Spreadsheet, "Official numbers" sheet.)

The systems uploaded to EDSM generally cover almost half of the total. However, the farther you go from the bubble and the closer tourist spots, the more likely that a discovered system has been uploaded as well.

Yes, they've said it several times now, so we can even compare how many new systems per day were discovered (on average) between them. The last one was on Febr. 5, this year. For earlier numbers, see here. (Spreadsheet, "Official numbers" sheet.)
Can it be extrapolated to say how many years it would take, at the current rate, to explore every system?

First, a minor note:
We even know of the location and existence of freakin' BROWN DWARFS that are literally tens of thousands of lightyears away on the other side of the galaxy - even ones that are so cool they barely emit any radiation at all! The only way we could possibly have that information is if we'd sent out millions of remote probes to every system (that inexplicably didn't bother to map any planets in the systems) and waited for them to return so we could make our perfect galaxy map.
In the earlier two games, FE2 and FFE, the game said exactly this for far-away systems. That the star data was gathered by remote probes, but no body data is available. (So, no system map until you go there yourself.)
Personally, I'd find it plausible that a bunch of remote probes would be sent out to gather information on nearby stars, but it doesn't matter much anyway - there's a gameplay explanation first, lore comes later.

Can it be extrapolated to say how many years it would take, at the current rate, to explore every system?
Sure, easy enough. Between 2020-11-13 and 2021-02-05, there were 96,270 new systems per day on average. The highest was 114,702, so let's see the range. With 399,799,000,000
systems left to explore, it would take 11,378 years at the current rate, or 9,550 at the record rate.

However, suppose that explorers wouldn't be interested in all those dwarf stars, and hey, let's narrow things down to just systems with class F main stars. Those are likely overrepresented on EDSM, but some earlier data I had on them put them at 10.85% of systems, so let's narrow that down to 10%. We have at least 955 years until F main star systems run out.

So yeah, while specific areas of space might run out (for example, everything within 50 ly of a nebula center), all but the rarest system types are here to stay.

Also, doesn't that 1% figure come from third-party tools that only a portion of explorers use? Has FDev ever said how many stars have been visited?
As said, they update semi-regularly but often need a nudge that we are interested.

I thought last time they said 213m Systems visited (not necessarily explored or even FSSd, honk n jump being a thing for quite a while)
So, how do you get those people to explore?

I know some people who do virtually nothing but explore. You could ask the same question about PVP (answer is always force it on them with Open Only). Its individual choice in a game that allows for many playstyles and personal goals. Some people just dont want to do one activity or another for many reasons.

Could encourage / advertise more organised expeditions as most are on EDSM. They tried the Ammonia Worlds CG but we all followed Road to Riches or Spansh to go to previous discovered especially as didn't last that long, same principle for recent Colonia xeno collection CG. Could announce a 6 or 12 month CG for undiscovered Earth Worlds or any other specific body etc

Some people only explore when looking for something specific or on the way to something, not for exploration eg Formidine Rift mystery, most people explored only to find out what it was, or people going to visit Nebulae / Colonia / Beagle Point / Colonia.

Was easier when less going on in the bubble to attract peoples attention so thats a double edged sword.

2 Engineers rely on an expedition if not exploration. This is to encourage players to go out there.

Could pay more for GG & Ice planets - I mapped an 84 body system 2 days ago and got less than 500K but Im not in it for the money anyway.

More stuff to find, EDO is doing that with Xenobiology. After a while even getting your name on a system is a bit mundane, at the beginning its awesome.

if they open up Col 70 people in droves would explore there...or honk n jump or FSS only.

Hint that Gan Romero went 'thataway' and people would follow.

Mini FCs that carry 3 ships, one explo, one mining, one combat for example so can do range of activities while out there but would still need a reason to do that activity beyond 'coz I want to'. Increase JR on all ships even further maybe?

Depending what you mean by 'explore' could nullify 1st discovered any system honk n jumped only so whole system goes to Cmdr who found it all, more reason to stay in one system and look but would still need some incentive of interesting 'finds'. (again EDO is trying to do this I think)

The only way you can guarantee more exploration is to force it on players (Engineer requirements etc) which people dont generally like. And if 99% of the galaxy had been explored we'd definitely complain theres nothing left to find so its probably better the way it is, optional and for people who want to do it because they like it.

Except they didn't. And even if they did, how and why would they visit every single system in the galaxy and not bother mapping out any of the planets and moons?

They did... In the early times of Galaxy exploration, probes equipped with early versions of FSD travelled across our Galaxy and only triangulated nearby stars,, without actually scanning anything else... They were creating the map, finding routes, resolving the distances etc...

Are you a Galaxy creationist, who thinks that the Galaxy was created just a couple years ago and that we were placed here by some omnipotent entity, who equipped us with the technology and gave us this clean canvas? Wow, that is some wild thinking... Any evidence of such entity?

We already do Galaxy map, just sitting on Earth.
The mission aims to construct by far the largest and most precise 3D space catalog ever made, totalling approximately 1 billion astronomical objects, mainly stars, but also planets, comets, asteroids and quasars, among others.
Rather a fallacious statement considering there are 400 Billion star systems.

Last edited:
We already do Galaxy map, just sitting on Earth.

lol no. Gaia is great but there's no way for it to discover every star and substellar object in the galaxy - there are a lot of inaccuracies and uncertainty in the data as well, as in every star catalogue. And there's plenty of other obstacles to prevent us from ever getting a 100% catalogue of all stars in the galaxy from one location.

They did... In the early times of Galaxy exploration, probes equipped with early versions of FSD travelled across our Galaxy and only triangulated nearby stars,, without actually scanning anything else... They were creating the map, finding routes, resolving the distances etc...

Are you a Galaxy creationist, who thinks that the Galaxy was created just a couple years ago and that we were placed here by some omnipotent entity, who equipped us with the technology and gave us this clean canvas? Wow, that is some wild thinking... Any evidence of such entity?

No excuse that anyone can come up with can explain the complete galaxy map we have in any other way other than we magically know where everything is that we couldn't possibly know about. It's breaks my suspension of disbelief much more to expect me to believe that vast numbers of probes went out, mapped the location of every single system in the galaxy, and strangely gathered no data on all the planets and moons despite having to obviously refuel at the stars in the systems. There's simply no reason for them to ignore them, especially if you're going to the effort of going out there in the first place.

I get why Frontier did it in game terms - because it was easier to present it that way - but in terms of the setting it makes no sense whatsoever.

lol no. Gaia is great but there's no way for it to discover every star and substellar object in the galaxy - there are a lot of inaccuracies and uncertainty in the data as well, as in every star catalogue. And there's plenty of other obstacles to prevent us from ever getting a 100% catalogue of all stars in the galaxy from one location.

No excuse that anyone can come up with can explain the complete galaxy map we have in any other way other than we magically know where everything is that we couldn't possibly know about. It's breaks my suspension of disbelief much more to expect me to believe that vast numbers of probes went out, mapped the location of every single system in the galaxy, and strangely gathered no data on all the planets and moons despite having to obviously refuel at the stars in the systems. There's simply no reason for them to ignore them, especially if you're going to the effort of going out there in the first place.

I get why Frontier did it in game terms - because it was easier to present it that way - but in terms of the setting it makes no sense whatsoever.

I refuse to listen to this heresy... Show me a proof, that those probes were equipped with FSS and with some AI to resolve every signal and then, ony then I will start even acknowledging some doubts... But I guess you have no evidence, just bold claims about some alternate/conspiracy version of history before 3300... My ears are closed from now...

As far as I know, the probes who went out there, mapping the Galaxy also in regions that were hidden for the early mapping attempts, such as Gaia, whos view was largely obstructed by the Galaxy itself, were only meant as a quick way to triangulate the Galaxy for future explorers, who were equipped with technology and intelligence to decipher various signals in different regions of Galaxy...

How about if one of the filters in the Galmap giving us the option to hide visited systems.
I’d prefer better incentives for the masses like truly one off ship parts that get salvaged from lost and crashed ships that once looted and repaired on ship are usable without the need to return to civilisation
I'd prefer just to have the option to filter those systems that I have already mapped as a better useful filter for exploring. I have all the blue dots for the systems I've been through [ just passing through - not mapped, for one reason or another usually to get somewhere else ]. For those times when I feel like a bit of mapping, I have to check each system individually to see if I have mapped them or not. Why can't we have a filter for exploration/mapping? It would be so helpful and help keep track of where I have been in my DBX.

I refuse to listen to this heresy... Show me a proof, that those probes were equipped with FSS and with some AI to resolve every signal and then, ony then I will start even acknowledging some doubts... But I guess you have no evidence, just bold claims about some alternate/conspiracy version of history before 3300... My ears are closed from now...

Lol, you need to take a deep breath and not take this game so seriously. I don't need to show any "proof" of anything, I'm not the one making outlandish claims about how we could magically map the exact location and stellar content of every single one of the 400 billion systems in the galaxy to 100% accuracy.

So we've got thousands of these probes that we're sending out at FTL speeds to map the entire galaxy perfectly (in record time too apparently), and they have sensors to detect the stars and triangulate their positions to pinpoint accuracy, and they're going to be smart enough to visit or catalogue every single system in their range... but they're going to report nothing about the planets and moons in the systems? They don't need FSS or anything like that, basic sensors would work fine. Oh and also they're going magically see all the brown dwarfs that are too dim to see beyond a couple of lightyears from their tiny shipboard telescopes too.

Yeah right.

Top Bottom