Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

tbf after Christmas has always been slow for a few months, the issue is whether ship sales will raise the same anymore, especially as a lot have already been purchased, Free Flys will help but new customers may wait until the game comes out before spending more than their initial buy-in.

Base-builders have been left out so the next step might be to sell habitats and mansions and then add-ons like wallpaper and gold taps and special baths and sinks etc to try and squeeze more out of the faithful, even garden plants and fences until people eventually realise the land they need isn't actually available for another 4 years.

But they (CIG) are trapped. Barring subscriptions (are they included in the funding tracker and if so any idea how many / much each month that raises?), there is no guarantee of future income unless they release some sort of JPeg for sale...and some JPegs are past their sell-by date.

So either new 'available in game' ships will be vastly increased in price and decrease the customer base (last time 15K buyers could have accounted for the money raised) or they need a new type of incentive that isnt stale. Which means a whole new venture and bases are the obvious next step....could even do a Hangar type module where people can build their bases in isolation to actually see them without having to supply the land.

Because the last thing they can do is stop and make the game or the money will stop, thats a secondary concern and why the ratio of devs / engineers to artists and graphics people is so low both in staffing and actually working on any project.

And it keeps niggling me that someone said something like or to the effect of 'SQ42 needs to be released by a certain date' as that implies Caulder has some sort of fixed deadline that cant be moved easily and has consequences and has already been delayed due to 'unforeseen circumstances' (Covid)....but he will want a Return and may take action to make sure he gets it. I still think he was sold a tech demo video and fell for it hook line and sinker blindsided by the amounts coming in but he must be getting nervous with all the excuses...and there are bank loans as well and they are even less forgiving.

2021 will be an interesting year for sure but so far the predictions are coming true, funding is down month on month and understandably so, slowly at first then the snowball gathers speed and momentum in the opposite direction, its the morning after the night before, nothing lasts forever.

Although funding is down compared to the gonzo year of 2020, it is up against all previous years.
Curious to see if the same holds true when everyone is not stuck at home.

But hey, if backers have proven one thing over the past 10 years - nothing sells like sex and spaceship jpgs.

Did they ever really think that through? I mean, how many people want their real faces in a computer game?
I helped make a 3D scanner for a public booth so that you get your own head into Quake and HalfLife, yeah, a long time ago! They were installed in Babbages in the US for a bit but as you say, not many people actually wanted their Real Life faces in the games. Fun to make though!
F5873784-094B-4BDD-BB82-D8FB02CE0ABD.jpeg

I helped make a 3D scanner for a public booth so that you get your own head into Quake and HalfLife, yeah, a long time ago! They were installed in Babbages in the US for a bit but as you say, not many people actually wanted their Real Life faces in the games. Fun to make though!
View attachment 220971
We used to do that back in Rainbow Six:Rogue spear and Ghost Recon using 3d texture mods. Take a pic of your mug with a webcam and put it on your character avatar in game...so it's not a new idea. It worked just as well with Operation Flashpoint too :)

View attachment 220971
It was also going to be a feature of Perfect Dark on the N64 and featured in some magazine previews - you’d use the GameBoy camera to take a selfie and import it into the game. It got pulled prior to release, possibly over worries about kiddies shooting “realistic” representations of each other 😁

I'm watching SaltEMike spend hours this morning looking for a new plant in game. The Dev is trying to help.

salteplant.jpg

The other space game just added additional mechanics for locating (and scanning) plants. :D

I'm watching SaltEMike spend hours this morning looking for a new plant in game. The Dev is trying to help.

View attachment 221000

The other space game just added additional mechanics for locating (and scanning) plants. :D

CIG have a dev whose handle is F_u_K uy?

And... they are in game, but i use a cvar to see them... is this the CIG equivalent of FD's Raxxla is in the game?

Elite Dangerous fan, and long time Star Citizen fan here, backed in Feb 2013.

Without wanting to throw a grenade into this, what do people here actually think of Star Citizen? i like both these games, i don't see them as competitors, they are different enough that there is room for both.

I'll give an explanation of what i think of it later :) it has its good points and its bad points.

Without wanting to throw a grenade into this, what do people here actually think of Star Citizen? i like both these games, i don't see them as competitors, they are different enough that there is room for both.

Not sure if you’re aware, but this thread is weighted very heavily to the 'sceptical' end of SC appreciation ;). Just FYI :)

Personally I think SC is a project mired in development hell, thanks to its impossibly broad-yet-detailed 'everything game' pitch, and its dubious reliance on monetising the same.

Regarding comparisons with ED, as a rule of thumb, it’s better just to judge each on their own merits. One having a torrid time doesn’t magically improve the other, etc.

When the dust finally settles on both franchises it’ll be interesting to see what went right and what went wrong with both of them though.

Last edited:

I'll give an explanation of what i think of it later :) it has its good points and its bad points.

welcome to the thread.

I dont own Star Citizen but I very much saw the appeal in it back in 2012 when it was announced. After years of watching its development I stand very firm in the "this is never going to live up to its promises" camp. When I watch Star Citizen streams it usually portrays a game-to-be that I wouldnt buy simply because it doesnt offer enough for the money it charges. And its future is just too fragile. Neither do we know if it ll ever see the light of release nor do we know if Star Citizen will change/morpg into something that it never was intended to be. CiGs shifts and priorisation of focus raises a lot of questions and criticism. Sadly, the results dont back up the company but usually cinfirm the skeptics within the community.

A lot of people have a final negative view on Star Citizen but continue to watch and follow the project. Morbid curiosity, seeing things to its end and the fanatical community crowd offer enough variation and entertainment to make this excellent internet drama material.

Anyway, looking for ward to your own summary of opinion /cheers

Top Bottom