ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey PC Launch Date

For all we know, a lot of that stuff has already been fixed or changed, or will be soon on another build, which is further ahead then the Alpha build.

We are all assuming that what is here is what we are getting, but the CMs keep saying there is more then what we've seen, like specific engineers for our suits and weapons, engineer bases that we can explore on foot.

The CM team said this was a snap shot to check that the basic mechanics work, which they do on the whole.

I'm very interested to see what it will be like on release and what extra stuff is in.
"There is more coming than what we're going to show you in alpha"
This is just another way of saying "We are not going to fully test the expansion, but instead will release it regardless of what state it is in"

I for one am fed up of Frontier's lazy minimum viable product approach.

"There is more coming than what we're going to show you in alpha"
This is just another way of saying "We are not going to fully test the expansion, but instead will release it regardless of what state it is in"

I for one am fed up of Frontier's lazy minimum viable product approach.
You do know that is not what MVP means.

Odyssey is far from MVP. They had us test what they wanted us to test. That's all fine by me.

I'm just curious as to what else is in the main game when it goes live.

You do know that is not what MVP means.

Odyssey is far from MVP. They had us test what they wanted us to test. That's all fine by me.

I'm just curious as to what else is in the main game when it goes live.
I deliberately didn't use an acronym. I know exactly what I said and what I meant.

I deliberately didn't use an acronym. I know exactly what I said and what I meant.
Yes, you said minimum viable product, which is what MVP means. People like to use the term, but have no idea what it actually means in regards to software.

Odyssey is not Minimum Viable Product. The only thing that I could say was minimum viable product was Elite Dangerous initial release.

I am on PS4 and was planning on playing Horizons untill Odyssey hits the consoles. However, after seeing the odyssey footages I just cannot go back to Horizons. It looks so dull. What I mean Frontier is that I will see you again in the autumn if everything goes to plan. Untill then will not be logging in as my FC is well cashed to survive decades.

Good luck to the team, let's all hope for a smooth release. I look forwards to Alpha 5 I mean Beta, I mean release :D Ongoing development I'm sure.

I'm really really looking forwards to actual atmospheric planets though and not lifeless moons. The amount of times I've ran out of oxygen in the alpha testing just isn't funny.

I'm really really looking forwards to actual atmospheric planets though and not lifeless moons. The amount of times I've ran out of oxygen in the alpha testing just isn't funny.
Not sure we are getting any type of planets where you can take your Skid Lid off and BREATH in the fresh air!! That might come way down the line, but for now we are only getting partially atmospheric planets and you have to keep your lid on or you will do what you are currently doing so well in Alpha.....DYING!!

PC launch date eh? We've heard about the Windows launch date, I'm still keen to hear some news about the macOS launch date.

Surely Frontier hasn't forgotten some of its beloved KickStarter backers ........ again?

;)

PS I assume Ed Lewis had to fall on his sword after that clearly in error post about the end of the macOS client. Commander Blast has assured me that the macOS client is now a match for the Windows client and easily surpasses the console clients.

PPS Frontier really should do something about the macOS connection problem, it's been over two years now!

Last edited:
Not to mention the EAP(Early Access Program)/Alpha/Beta/whatever they want to call it - still has another 7/8 days left.
And we haven't even started on the compatibility testing of Phase 4 yet.

Development of the final retail game is a separate, parallel branch that runs alongside the Alpha. One isn't dependent on the other.

Like the sampling tool? I think I'll need to start a petition for less gameplay in Elite. 😜
I don't think the sampling tool was a huge amount of work. While I am indifferent about the gameplay being removed altogether, I would have preferred that sampling would be easy, as it should be, but analysis should be a separate thing which is where the gameplay comes in. Make it optional as well. You get the sample and it gives you X. You can analyse the sample to get X,Y and possibly Z depending on how well you do, but have a risk of destroying your sample.

But then these samples need to have another reason to collect which isn't just credits and minor BGS influence. Synthesis and Module/suit/weapon upgrades spring to mind to begin with.

Top Bottom