ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey PC Launch Date

Cool, I wonder how the dev's feel about this date.

Issue Tracker:
4230 unconfirmed issues.
120 confirmed

So that's 16/17 working days to process 4000+ issues and fix all the ones that are real, non-duplicated issues.

Not to mention the EAP(Early Access Program)/Alpha/Beta/whatever they want to call it - still has another 7/8 days left.
And we haven't even started on the compatibility testing of Phase 4 yet.

I admire their confidence.

PS: Cyberpunk 2077 was still fun and I completed it a couple of times - before the massive patch that fixed a few thousand bugs - just saying :)
Confidence or Naivete?

I think Mr Ants video HERE sums up my feeling almost to the tee. Even he thinks the 19th 'May' be too soon, but i very much mirror his opinions and thoughts on EDO overall.

Too soon is an understatement.

Last edited:
It will be ready on the 19th, because we’re all playing the finished article, this isn’t a true Alpha, but a money grab, each phase has proven (in FD mind at least) to work, its stress testing, it’s fit for purpose, so they will release it, making a heap of cash out of us who paid for early access, the bugs following launch will remain, as likely FD have additional content, which they will ‘slowly’ roll out over a number of months, namely the new SRV and Thargoids on legs which likely we won’t see for another 3 months and will be linked to a drip feed narrative. Again aimed to encourage more purchases.

In between these periods we will get a plethora of hot fixes, to fix performance, likely a few big patches closer to these other releases, so realistically Odyssey (as with other seasons) will only be partially playable on the 19th, it won’t look good, and will probably loose a wheel or two, but FD are obviously following a fiscal timeline.

19th will herald a bug hunt, but not of the Thargoid kind...

Experience has shown me it won’t be worth it, logging in day one, I’ll leave it a few weeks, so some of the cracks can be filled in.

Last edited:
Going from "Alpha" to launch in 19 days is amazing, i've never been in a project moving that fast, i bet those 100 developers have amazing stomach muscles from crunching like mad :D

I guess last-gen console owners can treat the PC release as Beta, and when it launches for them in 2022 it might be fixed and balanced.

It will be ready on the 19th, because we’re all playing the finished article, this isn’t a true Alpha, but a money grab, each phase has proven (in FD mind at least) to work, its stress testing, it’s fit for purpose, so they will release it, making a heap of cash out of us who paid for early access, the bugs following launch will remain, as likely FD have additional content, which they will ‘slowly’ roll out over a number of months, namely the new SRV and Thargoids on legs which likely we won’t see for another 3 months and will be linked to a drip feed narrative. Again aimed to encourage more purchases.

In between these periods we will get a plethora of hot fixes, to fix performance, likely a few big patches closer to these other releases, so realistically Odyssey (as with other seasons) will only be partially playable on the 19th, it won’t look good, and will probably loose a wheel or two, but FD are obviously following a fiscal timeline.

19th will herald a bug hunt, but not of the Thargoid kind...

Experience has shown me it won’t be worth it, logging in day one, I’ll leave it a few weeks, so some of the cracks can be filled in.
Frontier should take a leaf out of Mojang's book and do weekly snapshots slowly adding in features polishing and bug fixing as they go and keep this cycle going UNTIL IT'S READY

Not follow Bethesda's book and release it regardless of how much of a mess it is.

Frontier should take a leaf out of Mojang's book and do weekly snapshots slowly adding in features polishing and bug fixing as they go and keep this cycle going UNTIL IT'S READY

Not follow Bethesda's book and release it regardless of how much of a mess it is.

Well Mojangs languid pace of development indicates that Frontier have already taken pages out of their book.

"We'll continue collecting your feedback throughout the upcoming alpha phase 4 and beyond launch as we work on further improvements and content updates"

Ongoing updates past the current point release are always good to repeat to the community, and in the case of Odyssey there will be plenty of work.

It's a great step in the evolution of ED, and the improved visuals, walking around and being able to talk to NPCs and the new ground based missions are fantastic!

The rest...

Viajero

Volunteer Moderator
... will the release be flagged as beta or early access?
If they do that and the actual release happens after May then I am not sure FDEV can account the revenues from pre orders and/or early access for the current fiscal year. Not saying it can not happen, but the revenue hit for the current fiscal year can be significant.

Greetings Commanders,

We're delighted to announce that the PC version of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will launch on Steam, Epic Games Store and the Frontier Store on May 19th!

Your feedback during the alpha period has been invaluable and made this release date possible. We'll continue collecting your feedback throughout the upcoming alpha phase 4 and beyond launch as we work on further improvements and content updates.

Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule.

There's still time to pre-order Odyssey and get your hands on the exclusive Pioneer suit skin. The Deluxe version of the pre-order is also still available for those who want to hop into the alpha which is expected to end on April 30th.

We'll see you on foot planet-side!

o7
Woohoo, cause for celebration. By chance did have any idea on when we can walk around the inside of the ships?

Top Bottom