ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey PC Launch Date

How True, but without 'US' the players, those 2 options don't exist!

Of course, that's a given, and conversely becuase it's a given, we're second in the pecking order. Despite all the salt in the forums, Frontier are plenty good enough at what they do to retain (and grow) their customer base. Hence these decisions (like release dates) primarily serve to please the shareholder community, not us.

Mr Catcher, how the devil are you?, we Tussle again :)

I won't it to be a success, I'd love it to be a brilliant success, i'd love it and I'd love it if FD got it right and i am totally wrong, However I am adding to this discussion my opinion is that as we see/play Alpha now they simply do not have enough time to get things right. Yes i do not know what the final release will be like or even P4, it might be as some people have said, a completely different game and i will have egg all over my face, but like i have said i have been playing ED now for 6 years seen all the big updates come in and experienced all the unplayable upgrades and disappointment they have created.

I am not saying i want FD to fail, but i want them to be able to get this right and i simply do not think as it is now the 19th is .......well is just to soon. Let me ask you a hypothetical question, and we both don't know the true answer! Would you be happy playing the game on the 20th (After waiting to download as the servers will undoubtedly crash ) as it is now?
or
Would you rather wait a month, 2 months, for an EDO that has us both saying 'BLOODY WOW!!'

Please get it out of your head that want everything ED,EDO,FD to fail!
Always glad to lock horns again, Mr Wasp 😤

Your hypothetical scenario - yes both of us know the response - although, again... Both of us know that there is a lot 'under the bonnet' of the 'alpha' that is just telemetry and grabbing resources...

Maybe it is just me, of all of us here, who took notice that the 'alpha' given us looked even further outdated than the 'old version' shown on the streams, and that essentially Phases 1 to 3 were very modular rather than including 'full content'? We appear to have been shown only that which needed stress testing - apart from some very nice plasma weapons for a few hours :devilish:

I have only just hit 4 years of playing ED, so the first real change I saw was 3.3 - which I liked during the beta and my opinion hasn't changed since. Yes there has been some game-breaking patches released, the choices made with mining in the last 6 months or so were 'odd' - so even I have seen some of the 'bad', but strangely hasn't pushed me over the edge into believing Frontier are inept... Which appears to be common.

If they do manage to mess up the release of Odyssey, so be it, but until then I prefer to remain vaguely positive in the belief that they probably know more than us about the state of the code they are releasing.

Of course, that's a given, and conversely becuase it's a given, we're second in the pecking order. Despite all the salt in the forums, Frontier are plenty good enough at what they do to retain (and
How True, sadly.
Always glad to lock horns again, Mr Wasp 😤

Your hypothetical scenario - yes both of us know the response - although, again... Both of us know that there is a lot 'under the bonnet' of the 'alpha' that is just telemetry and grabbing resources...

Maybe it is just me, of all of us here, who took notice that the 'alpha' given us looked even further outdated than the 'old version' shown on the streams, and that essentially Phases 1 to 3 were very modular rather than including 'full content'? We appear to have been shown only that which needed stress testing - apart from some very nice plasma weapons for a few hours :devilish:

I have only just hit 4 years of playing ED, so the first real change I saw was 3.3 - which I liked during the beta and my opinion hasn't changed since. Yes there has been some game-breaking patches released, the choices made with mining in the last 6 months or so were 'odd' - so even I have seen some of the 'bad', but strangely hasn't pushed me over the edge into believing Frontier are inept... Which appears to be common.

If they do manage to mess up the release of Odyssey, so be it, but until then I prefer to remain vaguely positive in the belief that they probably know more than us about the state of the code they are releasing.
I just hope your right, and come 20th May i am dieting on a large portion of West Country Humble Pie, with a large dollop of Your beautiful Clotted Cream, and you might say 'Proper Job' but something in my cynical side says i will go hungry on the 19th. FD's old habits die very hard.

We will see, in what is, a shortish time!
Stay Safe my yokel friend

I prefer to remain vaguely positive in the belief that they probably know more than us about the state of the code they are releasing.
I've seen people mention that we've been testing an old branch of the expansion, not the current, latest branch.
I don't claim to know a single thing about game development, but it makes no sense to me to have an alpha phase period and not test the version you intend to release.
How can Frontier know how the version they are releasing won't break the whole game if they've had us testing a different, older version?

And before you think Frontier know what they are doing (and yes, they do to some extent) they tried to bring in Arx and literally broke the entire game (and I wish I was exaggerating).

I've seen people mention that we've been testing an old branch of the expansion, not the current, latest branch.
I don't claim to know a single thing about game development, but it makes no sense to me to have an alpha phase period and not test the version you intend to release.
How can Frontier know how the version they are releasing won't break the whole game if they've had us testing a different, older version?

And before you think Frontier know what they are doing (and yes, they do to some extent) they tried to bring in Arx and literally broke the entire game (and I wish I was exaggerating).
I don't claim to know a thing about modern game development either... But I still have functioning powers of perception, even at my advanced age...

Yes, I was playing when the Arx store broke the game briefly... As did a couple of other patches...

But, you hold your opinion of their ability, I'll hold mine...

The absolutely fabulous thing about playing any game, is that, as the adverts tell us here... "When the fun stops, stop!"...

Think about it like this, if you are designing a car, but you want to drive a pre-production build on the road - before you can do that there are things you have to do to be allowed on the road (like pass an MOT). So you take what you have, apply changes to make it roadworthy, and then drive it on the roads to get your testing done.

In parallel to that, work on the actual production car continues, and lessons learned from the test car would update the design of the final product.

Think about it like this, if you are designing a car, but you want to drive a pre-production build on the road - before you can do that there are things you have to do to be allowed on the road (like pass an MOT). So you take what you have, apply changes to make it roadworthy, and then drive it on the roads to get your testing done.

In parallel to that, work on the actual production car continues, and lessons learned from the test car would update the design of the final product.
So .... like Volkswagon and their stated exhaust emissions?
Anyway, this is about game development ... so a better example would be Cyberpunk 2077 or Fallout 76

Development of the final retail game is a separate, parallel branch that runs alongside the Alpha. One isn't dependent on the other.
Not strictly speaking true.
The Alpha would be a branch from the Odyssey branch at a point in time.
All fixes for bugs reported during the alpha I'd expect to be fixed in the main Odyssey branch, then some of the more important/blocking bugs will also get back-ported to the Alpha branch for a hotfix to the Alpha

To me ( as a developer ) seeing almost 4000+ issues in the issue tracker that are not yet even confirmed or marked a duplicate should be worrying.

Let's assume that half are actually duplicates, that's still 2000, lets assume that half of those are actually not considered bugs by the project management ( players are welcome to disagree! ), that's still 1000 issues. Maybe we can be optimistic and assume that 90% of those are minor bugs that will only annoy a very small percentage of players. That would still leave 100 serious issues. Any one of those could take a week or two fully track down and fix.

Realistically they only have, at most 3 weeks of dev time left before release.

Compatibility testing won't start until the middle of next week.

Their 'Compatibility' testing is flawed because they are not taking a 'full' snapshot of our commanders, they appear to only be coping our current ship and credit balance to our alpha commanders.

It's unclear on:
stored modules ( I guess not copied ),
materials ( not mentioned, so no idea ).
inventory ( we didn't have items like suits, hand weapons and new items before - I assume they will wipe our alpha storage and inventory so we start clean again, as we will on go live day )
ranks and reputation ( not mentioned, but I assume they will be copied - unclear if that will have any affect on anything, probably not ).
fleet carriers ( not copied )
squadron info ?
private groups / friends ?
book marks ?
alpha ships ( what about any ships we have bought in alpha, ie if I switch to sidewinder now, will my Asp Exp stay in the station when then copy over my Krait Phantom ? )

Anyway, this is about game development ... so a better example would be Cyberpunk 2077 or Fallout 76
Little point in using an analogy based in software development when you don't understand software development.

Their 'Compatibility' testing is flawed
Difficult to ascertain flaws in something you're not part of. There will be reasons, were simply not privy to them.

And of course, this Alpha doesn't replace internal QA testing, it supplements it.

Greetings Commanders,

We're delighted to announce that the PC version of Elite Dangerous: Odyssey will launch on Steam, Epic Games Store and the Frontier Store on May 19th!

Your feedback during the alpha period has been invaluable and made this release date possible. We'll continue collecting your feedback throughout the upcoming alpha phase 4 and beyond launch as we work on further improvements and content updates.

Console development continues behind the scenes with an Autumn release still on schedule.

There's still time to pre-order Odyssey and get your hands on the exclusive Pioneer suit skin. The Deluxe version of the pre-order is also still available for those who want to hop into the alpha which is expected to end on April 30th.

We'll see you on foot planet-side!

o7
Will us console peasants get a free cobra MK6 with Odyssey due to the 6 month delay?

I just fail, totally, to understand the criticism of the expansion before it releases, but it is a games forum with contributions by people who 'LOVE THE GAME!' but can't conceive that Frontier might do something right... Yep 🤷‍♂️

Until we have the DLC on our machines on release we know nothing...

If it is a pile of steaming dog turds on release then complain - but complain today about something due in 4 weeks time?
For some people it is deja-vue. Especially from the initial release days. We were playing the Gamma version and told it was an old build with limited features. Then they announce the release in a month. People were going around the forums changing their 'But it's Gammaaaa' to 'We are playing a vertical slice, it's just for testing' and then it released exactly as is with bugs and all untouched. If Frontier in your mouth and you call it chocolate it's fine bu the taste stays the same.

Little point in using an analogy based in software development when you don't understand software development.
Comparison. You made an analogy.
But you are right, I know nothing about game development, so I should just shut my cake hole and stay silent .... right?

But you are right, I know nothing about game development, so I should just shut my cake hole and stay silent .... right?
NO, everyone whether right or wrong on their point of view is and SHOULD give his or Hers opinion. It's called Democracy, unless you live in one of those countries who don't have a Democracy, then in that Case shut your flippin Cake hole ;)

NO, everyone whether right or wrong on their point of view is and SHOULD give his or Hers opinion. It's called Democracy, unless you live in one of those countries who don't have a Democracy, then in that Case shut your flippin Cake hole ;)
Athough it pains me to agree with certain forum members... :ROFLMAO:

My buzzing friend has hit the nail on the bonce...

Don't shut yer gob, @Alien... Despite my insectoid amigo wishing I would, I don't either!

Having just finished "Falcon And The Winter Soldier" this morning, it dawned on me that it, Wandavision, and Odyssey all have something in common - they all left me feeling a bit "let down" with their finales. But when I step back and look at each as a whole package and "curb my enthusiasm", which was based on hype and preconceived notions of where each was going, I have to admit each is pretty good (bugs and performance issues notwithstanding when judging Odyssey).

I'm still not preordering Odyssey, but it'll remain on my wishlist, and hopefully someday when all the issues are fixed, I'll buy it. If that day happens to be May 19, then I'll buy it right away. Though the odds of that are about as good as the odds of David Braben being Mephisto in disguise ;)

iu

Having just finished "Falcon And The Winter Soldier" this morning, it dawned on me that it, Wandavision, and Odyssey all have something in common - they all left me feeling a bit "let down" with their finales. But when I step back and look at each as a whole package and "curb my enthusiasm", which was based on hype and preconceived notions of where each was going, I have to admit each is pretty good (bugs and performance issues notwithstanding when judging Odyssey).

I'm still not preordering Odyssey, but it'll remain on my wishlist, and hopefully someday when all the issues are fixed, I'll buy it. If that day happens to be May 19, then I'll buy it right away. Though the odds of that are about as good as the odds of David Braben being Mephisto in disguise ;)

iu

the odds of getting small seismic charges by May 19th are higher ;)

Top Bottom