ANNOUNCEMENT Elite Dangerous: Odyssey PC Launch Date

It tickles my sense of the ridiculous reading some of the comments from a (relatively) small number of forumites - it is as if they are terrified that Odyssey will be a succesful release...

Very strange...
I have no doubts Odyssey will be a relative successful release. After all you notice all the problems only after buying the game,
and configuring your on-foot controls will take long enough to be over the 2 hour Steam refund time 😁

I'm just annoyed FD does the same mistakes EVERY FRICKING TIME (with different flavours).

And I'm annoyed by people who say EVERY FRICKING TIME "just wait for the release, it will be awesome, it's an Alpha/Beta/Gamma only, it's old code, blah blah blah".
All true, but again we will see a broken mess with bugs which everyone playing the game in earnest for half an hour will realise, some of those bugs will get bugfixed,
and most will be left alone for the reminder of the shelf life of the game.

I have no doubts Odyssey will be a relative successful release. After all you notice all the problems only after buying the game,
and configuring your on-foot controls will take long enough to be over the 2 hour Steam refund time 😁

I'm just annoyed FD does the same mistakes EVERY FRICKING TIME (with different flavours).

And I'm annoyed by people who say EVERY FRICKING TIME "just wait for the release, it will be awesome, it's an Alpha/Beta/Gamma only, it's old code, blah blah blah".
All true, but again we will see a broken mess with bugs which everyone playing the game in earnest for half an hour will realise, some of those bugs will get bugfixed,
and most will be left alone for the reminder of the shelf life of the game.
So, you are in that category too, then?

No problem... Doomed even before it comes out of the door :ROFLMAO:

(I assume you did make a named profile for Odyssey alpha that you can just import into the full release?)

Frontier should take a leaf out of Mojang's book and do weekly snapshots slowly adding in features polishing and bug fixing as they go and keep this cycle going UNTIL IT'S READY

Not follow Bethesda's book and release it regardless of how much of a mess it is.
I'm with you on this, but...
FDEV got close to this around 1.3 with maybe monthly updates (I'm old so blame the memory), but the community complained there were too many.

I don't think the sampling tool was a huge amount of work. While I am indifferent about the gameplay being removed altogether, I would have preferred that sampling would be easy, as it should be, but analysis should be a separate thing which is where the gameplay comes in. Make it optional as well. You get the sample and it gives you X. You can analyse the sample to get X,Y and possibly Z depending on how well you do, but have a risk of destroying your sample.

But then these samples need to have another reason to collect which isn't just credits and minor BGS influence. Synthesis and Module/suit/weapon upgrades spring to mind to begin with.
What's missing in Elite right now is manufacturing/constructing, like making a certain output based on a set of input materials. Not just for engineering (even though that would be great too), but making something that for instance sells for a higher value than the base parts would together.

Frontier will deserve it.
OK, I'm not a games dev, heck I'm not even a programmer. But even I can see for a games development company, working through an alpha and beta to a deadline is madness. I've seen how other games devs manage their alpha and beta testing phases. Yes I understand the need to work to financial requirements, but sometimes you have to say to the shareholders and the investors that it's better to take the time to release a polished product than it is to release a half-polished turd.

This decision to work to a deadline for financial reasons, is going to come back to bite Frontier in the Asp. And they will deserve all the flak they are going to get because this is not like they are a new developer who doesn't have money or experience. Elite Dangerous is 6 years old (since official release) and Frontier have worked to deadlines like this many times over the years, and each time it harms their reputation, and each time, they NEVER LEARN.

Sorry Frontier, I love you like a brother, I'll always be here for you, but this is stupidity. You need to change how you work.
We're in the minority. It's not allowed to post critical posts here.
Frontier does everything right, and everyone who criticizes is a doomsayer and gets pointed fingers at.
We simply don't understand game development. Now where did I hear this before?

It's not doomed, and it won't be doomed (except if they manage to release with the phase 1 framerates, I guess then it will be a slaughter).
The rest is annoying, not doom.
But you were berating it before release anyway?

It may end up as a pile of poo on release - but until it releases it is just sour grapes, surely?

I guess I've not been playing the game long enough to be totally cynical, thankfully, so really don't 'get' the insistance that frontier don't even know what day it is...

We're in the minority. It's not allowed to post critical posts here.
Frontier does everything right, and everyone who criticizes is a doomsayer and gets pointed fingers at.
We simply don't understand game development. Now where did I hear this before?
Lord High Almighty forbid we even dare to criticise ED or EDO or FD, but it is because WE CARE, that we criticise. I for one have been playing this since June 2015, have 4 accounts, all elite everything and i LOVE the game, but i criticise EDO because IMHO if the release game on the 19th is like Alpha, it will be horrible. Bite the bullit FD, take a month more, iron out the bugs in EDO, optimize the game, make it shine, make it WOW!!. For pity sake it's a month extra. Some of us on here can remember all the big upgrades and the nightmares we have after implementation, so why not break a gametime habit and get this one right?

All IMHO of course

Lord High Almighty forbid we even dare to criticise ED or EDO or FD, but it is because WE CARE, that we criticise. I for one have been playing this since June 2015, have 4 accounts, all elite everything and i LOVE the game, but i criticise EDO because IMHO if the release game on the 19th is like Alpha, it will be horrible. Bite the bullit FD, take a month more, iron out the bugs in EDO, optimize the game, make it shine, make it WOW!!. For pity sake it's a month extra. Some of us on here can remember all the big upgrades and the nightmares we have after implementation, so why not break a gametime habit and get this one right?

All IMHO of course
Or give us one week of beta with the current state of the main game, which Arthur stated on stream to be far ahead of what we got to see in the alpha, to ease the concerns. There's not a big time window to do that, maybe from May 5th to May 12th.

I just fail, totally, to understand the criticism of the expansion before it releases, but it is a games forum with contributions by people who 'LOVE THE GAME!' but can't conceive that Frontier might do something right... Yep 🤷‍♂️

Until we have the DLC on our machines on release we know nothing...

If it is a pile of steaming dog turds on release then complain - but complain today about something due in 4 weeks time?

What's missing in Elite right now is manufacturing/constructing, like making a certain output based on a set of input materials. Not just for engineering (even though that would be great too), but making something that for instance sells for a higher value than the base parts would together.
Yeah, possibly. Personally I'm not that bothered amount manufacturing for credits.

Or give us one week of beta with the current state of the main game, which Arthur stated on stream to be far ahead of what we got to see in the alpha, to ease the concerns. There's not a big time window to do that, maybe from May 5th

I just fail, totally, to understand the criticism of the expansion before it releases, but it is a games forum with contributions by people who 'LOVE THE GAME!' but can't conceive that Frontier might do something right... Yep 🤷‍♂️

Until we have the DLC on our machines on release we know nothing...

If it is a pile of steaming dog turds on release then complain - but complain today about something due in 4 weeks time?
Mr Catcher, how the devil are you?, we Tussle again :)

I won't it to be a success, I'd love it to be a brilliant success, i'd love it and I'd love it if FD got it right and i am totally wrong, However I am adding to this discussion my opinion is that as we see/play Alpha now they simply do not have enough time to get things right. Yes i do not know what the final release will be like or even P4, it might be as some people have said, a completely different game and i will have egg all over my face, but like i have said i have been playing ED now for 6 years seen all the big updates come in and experienced all the unplayable upgrades and disappointment they have created.

I am not saying i want FD to fail, but i want them to be able to get this right and i simply do not think as it is now the 19th is .......well is just to soon. Let me ask you a hypothetical question, and we both don't know the true answer! Would you be happy playing the game on the 20th (After waiting to download as the servers will undoubtedly crash ) as it is now?
or
Would you rather wait a month, 2 months, for an EDO that has us both saying 'BLOODY WOW!!'

Please get it out of your head that want everything ED,EDO,FD to fail!

Like the sampling tool? I think I'll need to start a petition for less gameplay in Elite. 😜

The sampling tool minigame was, in my view put there becuase they simply ran out of time to finish the gameplay design in that part of the game. Its also why they were happy to pull it out - it was only a placeholder for future work anyway.

I am not saying i want FD to fail, but i want them to be able to get this right and i simply do not think as it is now the 19th is .......well is just to soon.
Two things which trump all else.

Shareholders.
Financial Year End.

Would you be happy playing the game on the 20th (After waiting to download as the servers will undoubtedly crash ) as it is now?

We dont know what state is in "now" becuase the Alpha accessible to players branched off from the actual game some time ago. Now, I`m not saying there's a night and day difference between the two, but It is true that they are not one in the same thing, and they were separated off some time ago to allow the Alpha to exist.

Two things which trump all else.

Shareholders.
Financial Year End.

We dont know what state is in "now" becuase the Alpha accessible to players branched off from the actual game some time ago. Now, I`m not saying there's a night and day difference between the two, but It is true that they are not one in the same thing, and they were separated off some time ago to allow the Alpha to exist.
How True, but without 'US' the players, those 2 options don't exist!

Like i said in my post elating to this fact, we simply don't know how FD are playing this and come the 19th Much egg will be on many faces, mine included!

Top Bottom