ED Astrometrics: Maps and Visualizations

Hello

I currently out on a long journey, eventually heading to Beagle Point.

For this particular trip, I've been incorporating DSSA carriers as my waypoints. I would eventually like to make an image of my trip locations. Unfortunately as I'm a console player, I can't record my route using the usual third-party tools.

Is there a galaxy map overlay that also shows the current DSSA carrier locations? I've been using the heat map overlay but the multiple routes recorded on it make it cluttered.

Thank you! o7

Is there a galaxy map overlay that also shows the current DSSA carrier locations? I've been using the heat map overlay but the multiple routes recorded on it make it cluttered.

You mean on the interactive galaxy map? There are several checkboxes you can use in the drop-down menu from the upper-right corner. You can select a map image layer, and then the DSSA marker pins independently and thus combine in with whichever view you prefer.

For this particular trip, I've been incorporating DSSA carriers as my waypoints. I would eventually like to make an image of my trip locations. Unfortunately as I'm a console player, I can't record my route using the usual third-party tools.

Not to hijack the thread - but you should take a look at EDSM, and maybe Journal Limpet. The former does have some console support and the latter is designed specifically for consoles (and can send straight to EDSM). I haven't used either on console, but the support is there. Both have discords if you get stuck.
(I believe there is a history limit of circa 25 days imposed by FDev, but going forward it'll hopefully be useful)

Thank you for the recommendations.

I actually tried setting up a EDSM account when I first started playing ED and could never get my Xbox account to link despite numerous attempts. It's the reason I'm on INARA today :D.

I tried EDSM again a few weeks ago and had the same result.

I'll give Journal Limpet a try later today though. Cheers.

Edit: Journal Limpet was the key. EDSM is now importing my latest expedition information and updating finally. Thank you very much!

Last edited:
I just repaired the discovery submission/activity graph. Apparently I clobbered it some number of months back (August, maybe?) when I was shifting around how I was storing and using dates on submissions. Didn't notice until now. :D This should be looking a lot better again now: (this also affected the discovery activity spreadsheets, for dates from before August 2020, showing some odd gaps and spikes)

I've made a small change to the Codex maps. Instead of using "shaded" dots that are composited with a "screen" method, they're just plain circles using a simple overwrite now. The previous method was prettier, allowing colors to "add" overtop of each other, and brighten toward white when lots of them were overlapping. However, it resulted in some areas adding up to colors that were different than what the color key was showing, and sometimes those colors would look like something else's color on the same map. So while the new method looks more flat, it's more informative.

I've also added a spreadsheet for suspicious (or clearly wrong) data. Right now I only have it checking for a few criteria, and may add more in the future. The idea here is to catch the kinds of things that are are almost certainly incorrect in the data, and could be corrected by subsequent scans. While we know that there are things that are wrong or missing for literally millions of systems out there (take for instance, the systems that have no coordinates recorded), I'm trying to restrict this spreadsheet to the problems that exist on a much smaller scale, and so they can be reasonably cleaned up by helpful explorers. ;) I might add a beautified web page for this data at some point. (And if you can think of interesting cases to add to the criteria, let me know):

https://edastro.com/mapcharts/files/suspicious-data.csv

Deleted member 38366

D
I've also added a spreadsheet for suspicious (or clearly wrong) data. Right now I only have it checking for a few criteria, and may add more in the future. The idea here is to catch the kinds of things that are are almost certainly incorrect in the data, and could be corrected by subsequent scans. While we know that there are things that are wrong or missing for literally millions of systems out there (take for instance, the systems that have no coordinates recorded), I'm trying to restrict this spreadsheet to the problems that exist on a much smaller scale, and so they can be reasonably cleaned up by helpful explorers. ;) I might add a beautified web page for this data at some point. (And if you can think of interesting cases to add to the criteria, let me know):

During my scanning in the Empyrean Straits, I've definitely added alot of bogus Sinuous Tuber Codex inputs.
As scanning these is severely bugged, for the time being anything that isn't Roseum, Prasinum, Caeruleum or Violaceum probably can be put into the "probably bugged" bin in this Galactic Sector.
(actual Prasinum ones I've seen plenty here in the Myrierph Sector, so I'd bet the scanning bug coughing out various other types added a crapton of ones that [so far] don't even exist in the Empyrean Straits)

Since they seem bugged elsewhere too, I'd file anything that has to do with Sinuous Tubers under "problematic".
(I documented my Sinuous Tubers Codex issues here : https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/listing-codex-bugs.521446/page-4#post-8923788 )

-- edit --
Oh wait, just realized you were talking only about Planetary Bodies. At least the spreadsheet only contained Bodies, didn't expect that.
In that case "disregard all after good morning", I thought you meant Biologicals ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK, that's good to keep in mind. This particular spreadsheet is looking directly at bodies, though. At some point it might be useful to do something similar with codex data.

Added a file for Odyssey-predicted landables with less common atmospheres.

Currently just shy of 1.3 million rows, 122 MB zip-file: https://edastro.com/mapcharts/files/odyssey-landable-rare-candidates.zip
In case anyone's curious, the way that works is that certain combinations of body types and atmospheres are excluded. For example, argon atmospheres on HMCPs might be rare, but argon atmospheres on Icy worlds are quite common, so the latter are excluded. The exact criteria were:

Icy bodies: exclude Argon, Methane, Neon
Rocky Ice bodies: exclude Argon, Neon
Rocky bodies: exclude Ammonia, Carbon dioxide, Sulphur dioxide
HMC bodies: exclude Ammonia, Carbon dioxide, Sulphur dioxide
Metal Rich bodies: exclude Silicate vapour

Those were the ones which were above 10% of the total, although perhaps that's still a bit much. Still, these all should be quite useful for people who'll want to go hunting for new kinds of plant life in Odyssey: at the very least, various bacteria variants require different atmosphere and/or volcanism types.

Been reworking my codex tables/etc, to have a consolidated tracking for the data I care about (because of course the codex gets bombarded with all the typical stars/planets/geology/whatever). So now I'm able to generate a spreadsheet that focuses pretty cleanly on things like life-forms, lagrange clouds, and that sort of thing. For planets, I'm letting it capture the green giants only. Stars and geology are excluded.

https://edastro.com/mapcharts/files/codex-data.csv

I figure we have all the planet/star data already anyway. Geology happens nearly everywhere, and the codex doesn't tie it to individual bodies, so its usefulness is pretty minimal.

I've added a feature to the interactive map that draws your exploration path from journals. In the upper left corner, just below the player-position button is a new button to scan the journal files you select and draw them into the map. You can multi-select as many files as you need to, but it can take some time to import a large number.

Additionally, the player position button can now multi-select files, and will draw a marker pin for each journal file's final position.

I haven't looked into it, but does Journal Limpet let you save copies of the journal files for console players? That might be a way to use it.

Journal limpet was the only way I could get data sent to EDSM (from my Xbox account).

Edit: I just tested it and it works for the map above. You just need to create your account on journal limpet, link it to Fdev and then allow JL to download your journals. You can download your journals from there and add them to the map.

Last edited:
Top Bottom