VR support 'not at launch' for Odyssey

I have no anxiety do you.
Loads. But I assume that means "No, I am not basing it on anything else." No prob.

The-Homer-Scream-by-meowza.jpg

For me it's too soon to judge, I sure do have some serious reservations about what the VR quality will actually be at release, the grey flat screen element aside, which is horrible.

If I can have the same quality in ship/SRV VR experience we have in Horizons in ED:O, putting aside the flat screen thing, then to be fair I'll be pretty happy with that for the interim and will thank FD for doing the best they can.

It'd be great to have some confirmation of that, similar to what has been made for the planetary tech and lighting changes coming... but something is nagging me that this may not be the case.

For me it's too soon to judge, I sure do have some serious reservations about what the VR quality will actually be at release, the grey flat screen element aside, which is horrible.

If I can have the same quality in ship/SRV VR experience we have in Horizons in ED:O, putting aside the flat screen thing, then to be fair I'll be pretty happy with that for the interim and will thank FD for doing the best they can.

It'd be great to have some confirmation of that, similar to what has been made for the planetary tech and lighting changes coming... but something is nagging me that this may not be the case.
I'm hoping that they've heard our opinions on the grey burquah, and are putting VR headlook on foot in as a nice surprise for us at launch, however I'm expecting a kick in the crotch with bad news about VR in the patch notes.

Earlier today I forced alpha in to vr. It's clear that ED has not put VR in alpha however I got enough from forcing it into VR that I think it will be spectacular at release. I am not a FPS person and will not be playing that so the grey screen doesn't bother me at all. I am satisfied ED will move VR in to the entire game as soon as humanly possible. And I am very thankful that ED is not forcing anyone to play the FPS part if you don't want to. Walking through ships is not a big deal for me either once you did it a couple of times that would be a big deal to no one. So as of now I am counting the days till the 19th.

Earlier today I forced alpha in to vr. It's clear that ED has not put VR in alpha however I got enough from forcing it into VR that I think it will be spectacular at release. I am not a FPS person and will not be playing that so the grey screen doesn't bother me at all.

Eh? It sounds like you're just talking about ship & SRV VR then. Although not officially supported in the alpha as yet, it all works on the whole. IE you should be able to select the HMD options in the Graphics / 3D section. You shouldn't need to 'force' anything on that front.

Earlier today I forced alpha in to vr.
How does that opening statement relate to:
I am not a FPS person and will not be playing that so the grey screen doesn't bother me at all.
Does that mean you managed to force VR on foot, or not? I'm guessing that since you said:

It's clear that ED has not put VR in alpha however I got enough from forcing it into VR that I think it will be spectacular at release.
I'm guessing / hoping this means you forcibly got VR working on foot, and found a lot of "gotcha's", and your remarks about not playing the greyscreen mean that "yes, you got VR working on foot, it looks promising, but has a lot of work to make it right, but RPG/FPS isn't in your wheelhouse, so greyscreen or not, it's not going to be a problem for you?"

I don't get legs VR I'll absolutely probably not be bothered as long as I can VR cockpit once a month it'll be grand.

Seriously though if they were to legs vr how would they do it that isn't as meh as NMS's way of walking about doing stuff.

Eh? It sounds like you're just talking about ship & SRV VR then. Although not officially supported in the alpha as yet, it all works on the whole. IE you should be able to select the HMD options in the Graphics / 3D section. You shouldn't need to 'force' anything on that front.
Well Duh
HOW???? PLEASE TELL ME!!!
Now I'll go back to reading the rest of the post.
Do you play through steam? If not I can't tell you.

I don't get legs VR I'll absolutely probably not be bothered as long as I can VR cockpit once a month it'll be grand.

Seriously though if they were to legs vr how would they do it that isn't as meh as NMS's way of walking about doing stuff.
VR cockpit would appear to be improving in Odyssee, what with the new graphics and planetary tech, but just like the new menus and graphics trickled down from Horizons to Base game when they were significantly upgraded in 2.1, Horizons will inherit the new planetary tech, and general graphics improvements, but horizons players won't be able to enter the tenuous atmospheres, so the mainstay of Odyssee is the "Legs" part of it. And the main part of VR is the immersion, and if the mainstay of odyyssey nullifies the mainsty of VR with that immersion breaking, nausea/headache inducing ViRtual flatscreen pish, whats the frickin point?

Oh well congratulations on your titanic efforts 'forcing' VR into the alpha then, as tons of people have been doing for weeks. By selecting HMD. In the menu...

(Yes it's a bit of a pain on steam, but not to the extent that it requires heroic tales of derring-do...)

You made it sound like you'd done something interesting / different.

Not my cup of tea is the NMS teleportation but I confess to knowing next to nothing on how it can be done any other way.

NMS has other options beyond teleportation. It includes a 'controller relative' option too. Takes a bit of getting used to but allows for movement that's comparable to classic stick control. Essentially you go where you 'point' with one of the controllers. (Although in reality you gesture loosely with it at your side as a rule).

The other main solution most games use is 'HMD relative', IE wherever you look is the direction of travel when desired. NMS didn't include that though iirc.

Oh well congratulations on your titanic efforts 'forcing' VR into the alpha then, as tons of people have been doing for weeks. By selecting HMD. In the menu...

(Yes it's a bit of a pain on steam, but not to the extent that it requires heroic tales of derring-do...)

You made it sound like you'd done something interesting / different.
Well as usual Duh.

Start Steam VR then start ED in regular mode in steam VR. Then shut it down. Then in steam at the ED start screen just use the alpha selection to start it then ther you are.

If that gives us VR headlook on foot then dagnamit that is COOL! I'm going to try that later...

NMS has other options beyond teleportation. It includes a 'controller relative' option too. Takes a bit of getting used to but allows for movement that's comparable to classic stick control. Essentially you go where you 'point' with one of the controllers. (Although in reality you gesture loosely with it at your side as a rule).

The other main solution most games use is 'HMD relative', IE wherever you look is the direction of travel when desired. NMS didn't include that though iirc.
HMD relative / facegun are something I'm ambivalent at best to, you instinctively "know" where your chest is relative to your head, so you know that if your lookng left with your head, moving the thumbstick forward will create the illusion of moving to the right. I'd prefer VR headlook to work like it does for a CMDR on screen with a trackIR, where the direction of the torso is the direction of travel, and the headlook is relative to, rather than authoritave over, the direction of travel. However, the beauty of all these control scheme options is they are relatively easy to code in options to switch between them once you have the VR cam attached to the avatars neck.

Top Bottom