Want to buy Odyssey thru Steam but own ED on Epic Games

So basically I want to buy Odyssey through Steam rather than Epic but I own Elite on Epic. If I buy the DLC on Steam, will I still get the DLC or would I have to buy it from Epic?

Given that it's DLC I'm not sure that Steam will actually allow you to download it without buying the original game too.

Your best option would be to get it via Epic if that is the platform you are using.

Or - there was a thread yesterday - get a new account from HumbleBundle, where the game is currently on offer.

I bought Horizons and Dangerous direct from the store - PC based. Is ED "integrated" into Odyssey as Horizons was into ED, or is Odyssey a stand-alone brand-new version? How will you current riches and achievements be incorporated into Odyssey? I want to pre-buy Odyssey but does not know which way to go - I have a steam account, but are reluctant to buy ED again for steam and I do not think that my riches and achievements will be "transfered". Just saw it, you need ED on steam to pre-buy EDO - so is EDO and extension to ED???? Will I be able to a pre-buy through the store???

Last edited:
I contacted FD support and asked that question some time ago.
And got an answer:
1: Correct. Buying on Epic or Steam means it is granting access only via the link to that platform. If the account is not linked, it will not be able to read the access, thus not be able to use Odyssey.

2: If you create a partner key, it does not remove access from being able to use the stand alone launcher. It just allows you to download the game from Steam. All the partner keys do is let you put the product into Steam, it doesn't grant you a license to play the game. For example, if you gave a partner key to a friend (do NOT do this), they would be able to download the game from Steam, but not be able to play.

3: If you choose to buy Odyssey for both of your accounts from Steam, you will need to link each of those accounts to a separate Steam account, and buy Odyssey on those two separate accounts.

4: What you're saying regarding the second account makes me think it was the old way of doing Steam, which means it grants you access to the Stand-alone version regardless of Steam link. On the second account, if you would like to keep using it in the stand-alone launcher, have it it use odyssey, you would need to buy the Frontier Store version of Odyssey, as again, buying Odyssey from a specific platform, will lock you to that platform.
You MUST purchase Odyssey expansion on the same platform as the main game. So if your game purchased on Epic – you have to buy Odyssey on Epic in order to use it. If you have stand-alone version of the game – you have to buy expansion directly from Frontier Store.

In this case, main game purchased from steam before it made “keyless” is also treated as stand-alone. But with a catch: you have to decide how you want to use it from now on. If you buy expansion from Frontier Store, you will be able to start the game directly from built-in launcher. BUT if you buy Odyssey from Steam game will become locked to Steam launcher and you will not be able to use stand-alone launcher to play Odyssey.

I bought Horizons and Dangerous direct from the store - PC based. Is ED "integrated" into Odyssey as Horizons was into ED, or is Odyssey a stand-alone brand-new version? How will you current riches and achievements be incorporated into Odyssey? I want to pre-buy Odyssey but does not know which way to go - I have a steam account, but are reluctant to buy ED again for steam and I do not think that my riches and achievements will be "transfered". Just saw it, you need ED on steam to pre-buy EDO - so is EDO and extension to ED???? Will I be able to a pre-buy through the store???

I contacted FD support and asked that question some time ago.
And got an answer:
1: Correct. Buying on Epic or Steam means it is granting access only via the link to that platform. If the account is not linked, it will not be able to read the access, thus not be able to use Odyssey.

2: If you create a partner key, it does not remove access from being able to use the stand alone launcher. It just allows you to download the game from Steam. All the partner keys do is let you put the product into Steam, it doesn't grant you a license to play the game. For example, if you gave a partner key to a friend (do NOT do this), they would be able to download the game from Steam, but not be able to play.

3: If you choose to buy Odyssey for both of your accounts from Steam, you will need to link each of those accounts to a separate Steam account, and buy Odyssey on those two separate accounts.

4: What you're saying regarding the second account makes me think it was the old way of doing Steam, which means it grants you access to the Stand-alone version regardless of Steam link. On the second account, if you would like to keep using it in the stand-alone launcher, have it it use odyssey, you would need to buy the Frontier Store version of Odyssey, as again, buying Odyssey from a specific platform, will lock you to that platform.
You MUST purchase Odyssey expansion on the same platform as the main game. So if your game purchased on Epic – you have to buy Odyssey on Epic in order to use it. If you have stand-alone version of the game – you have to buy expansion directly from Frontier Store.

In this case, main game purchased from steam before it made “keyless” is also treated as stand-alone. But with a catch: you have to decide how you want to use it from now on. If you buy expansion from Frontier Store, you will be able to start the game directly from built-in launcher. BUT if you buy Odyssey from Steam game will become locked to Steam launcher and you will not be able to use stand-alone launcher to play Odyssey.
Many thanks, I got it. Will buy from the store.

Maybe, if one do a 180 degree roll either to the left or to the right. :)
then you would still be the right way up and not upside down :unsure:
see peeps say to look outside the ship, but I find the trick is to just look inside all the time that way you can always tell buy the drinks cabinet or coffee dispenser ect weather if your the right way up or not

Last edited:
Many thanks, I got it. Will buy from the store.
Ah !!! I used a link from Frontier to pre-purchase the Odyssey Deluxe Alpha, but it sent me to Steam (where I have my 2nd account, also got a 3rd on Epic (was a freebie) ), so I thought ED was going through Steam and bought it from there. Now I need to cancel it and buy from Frontier directly. Why did they direct me to Steam in the first place when my main account is direct with Frontier?

Ah !!! I used a link from Frontier to pre-purchase the Odyssey Deluxe Alpha, but it sent me to Steam (where I have my 2nd account, also got a 3rd on Epic (was a freebie) ), so I thought ED was going through Steam and bought it from there. Now I need to cancel it and buy from Frontier directly. Why did they direct me to Steam in the first place when my main account is direct with Frontier?

The link on the front of the website will direct you to Steam, you MUST log in to your ED account in the store to get it direct from FDEV.

That's a stupid practice. They should at least provide links for wherever one has the account they wish to upgrade, it doesn't take much to do.
Got my Steam refund and already bought it via the Frontier site :)

The link would just take you to the page to log on to the FDEV store, guess what? You are already on the page to log on to the FDEV store.

Ok, so not buying Odyssey then. I have a $40 credit on steam, but bought my game in 2015 from Frontier.

If the two cannot be joined, then I just won't buy it.

Ok, so not buying Odyssey then. I have a $40 credit on steam, but bought my game in 2015 from Frontier.

If the two cannot be joined, then I just won't buy it.

Fair enough, purchase game though one company, wants other company to provide support and ongoing service, makes sense.

That's a stupid practice. They should at least provide links for wherever one has the account they wish to upgrade, it doesn't take much to do.
Got my Steam refund and already bought it via the Frontier site :)

How are they supposed to tell what version you have until you log onto the website? Magic?

If it is not a steam supported game, then fine, get it the hell off of Steam.

If it is supported then you should be able to buy it from either. What is the point of linking the account to steam if steam does nothing for the game?

If it is not a steam supported game, then fine, get it the hell off of Steam.

If it is supported then you should be able to buy it from either. What is the point of lining the accouont to steam if steam does nothing for the game?
It's pretty common to need to buy DLCs from the same place as the the game they are part of.

"t's pretty common to need to buy DLCs from the same place as the the game they are part of."

I've been playing 'over-the-modem' games for over 30 yrs, and this is the first one I have seen like this.

This is why I try and have as little to do with steam as I can. It's just a useless interface.

Top Bottom