Want to buy Odyssey thru Steam but own ED on Epic Games

I have a $40 credit at Steam, that I should be able to use for this. But Steam says I don't own the game.

If this is teh level of cooperation between Steam and Frontier then I will not buy it from either one.

If it is not a steam supported game, then fine, get it the hell off of Steam.

If it is supported then you should be able to buy it from either. What is the point of linking the account to steam if steam does nothing for the game?

It is Steam supported....when you buy it from Steam...but you didn't, you purchased it from the FDEV store, which means you have paid zero dollars to Steam Store for the game, but you expect them to support it? Why would they do that for nothing? Frontier Developments, on the other hand have been paid for the game and do provide support, they will support you by selling you a copy of Odyssey!

I have a $40 credit at Steam, that I should be able to use for this. But Steam says I don't own the game.

If this is teh level of cooperation between Steam and Frontier then I will not buy it from either one.

No you don't own a copy of the "Steam" version of Elite Dangerous, why would they have record of your purchase from a different company? Do you really expect FDEV to just share all their player information with all the companies that also sell copies of the game? You do realise if they did that they would be in breach of UK privacy laws and could end up in court.

You seem to have no understanding of how businesses work, no you didn't buy it from them, how would they know you owned it?

No you don't own a copy of the "Steam" version of Elite Dangerous,.

I own a copy of Elite Dangerous, where I got it from is irrelevant, because Steam has to get it from the same place as I do.

why would they have record of your purchase from a different company? Do you really expect FDEV to just share all their player information with all the companies that also sell copies of the game?
Because My frontier account and my elite account are linked. I can launch Elite from Steam so they know I own it.

You do realise if they did that they would be in breach of UK privacy laws and could end up in court.
Not if I have given permission.

You seem to have no understanding of how businesses work, no you didn't buy it from them, how would they know you owned it?

I know exactly how business works, and Steam should be happy to sell me the product. It seems that Steam does not understand business.

I am trying to buy a game from them and they are saying no, because I bought a previous version of the game from the company that actually made the game, a company that was not in partnership with Steam back then, but is now.

Ok, so not buying Odyssey then. I have a $40 credit on steam, but bought my game in 2015 from Frontier.

If the two cannot be joined, then I just won't buy it.

Actually, as you bought it then, Frontier can give you a steam key to use to get that version. Then you can use Odyssey, but only on steam.

Though one can change engines from two different brands of auto's, such as Ford to Dodge for example. One can not change the various parts evolved in the engines, such as starter, flywheel, transmission pistons etc.

Because My frontier account and my elite account are linked. I can launch Elite from Steam so they know I own it.

They don't even know who you are until you log in, I guess they keep spyware on your computer to check what games you own, if I was you I would format that HDD right now, all that spyware that tells everyone what games you own and who knows what else? Oh dear me!

I know exactly how business works, and Steam should be happy to sell me the product. It seems that Steam does not understand business.

I am trying to buy a game from them and they are saying no, because I bought a previous version of the game from the company that actually made the game, a company that was not in partnership with Steam back then, but is now.

You aren't trying to buy a game from them, you are trying to buy a DLC for a game, and to get the DLC from steam you first need to buy the game from steam, it's as simple as that.

Anyway it's no problem to me, it's yours to sort out, if you don't like the way it works then don't buy it.

Though one can change engines from two different brands of auto's, such as Ford to Dodge for example. One can not change the various parts evolved in the engines, such as starter, flywheel, transmission pistons etc.
It is easily done when the engines are both Frontier. You think Steam developed their own version of Elite? I am not buying the engine, I have that already, I am buying an alternator for it and you can buy alternators from anyone who makes them.
They don't even know who you are until you log in, I guess they keep spyware on your computer to check what games you own, if I was you I would format that HDD right now, all that spyware that tells everyone what games you own and who knows what else? Oh dear me!
Steam knows exactly who I am, and what 'steam' games I own. I TOLD THEM you moron. Are people really this stupid?

You aren't trying to buy a game from them, you are trying to buy a DLC for a game, and to get the DLC from steam you first need to buy the game from steam, it's as simple as that
I am not trying to do anything. I saw there was an update to my existing game, knew I had a credit and thought I would buy it. But since steam and Frontier do not cooperate, I guess I won't buy it.

For all you idiots, Steam did not program Odyssey on their own, parallel to Frontier. Both versions were made by Frontier. If they choose to try and force people to buy a 2nd copy of the game just to use the Steam version, then I can see a lot of people won't bother. It's just another reason to avoid interface systems like steam altogether.

I tried to buy from Steam, steam want's me to buy the game, again, PLUS the update. Why would anyone do that? The rest of us who bought our ED before Steam had ever even heard Elite Dangerous are now forced to buy everything from Frontier. No loss to us, only to Steam.

It is easily done when the engines are both Frontier. You think Steam developed their own version of Elite? I am not buying the engine, I have that already, I am buying an alternator for it and you can buy alternators from anyone who makes them.

Steam knows exactly who I am, and what 'steam' games I own. I TOLD THEM you moron. Are people really this stupid?

I am not trying to do anything. I saw there was an update to my existing game, knew I had a credit and thought I would buy it. But since steam and Frontier do not cooperate, I guess I won't buy it.

For all you idiots, Steam did not program Odyssey on their own, parallel to Frontier. Both versions were made by Frontier. If they choose to try and force people to buy a 2nd copy of the game just to use the Steam version, then I can see a lot of people won't bother. It's just another reason to avoid interface systems like steam altogether.

I tried to buy from Steam, steam want's me to buy the game, again, PLUS the update. Why would anyone do that? The rest of us who bought our ED before Steam had ever even heard Elite Dangerous are now forced to buy everything from Frontier. No loss to us, only to Steam.

You put your money into steam, that is hardly FD's fault, in fact it's definitely your problem.

Top Bottom