Elite / Frontier Frontier: First Encounters - or: how I learned to stop worrying and shove the Mouse

Not a very exciting run - but fairly typical of an "easy" Riedquat transit 😅

Also, I'm not doing my best with the mouse control - I'm blaming moving onto my laptop for that 😄 - and I don't stop off for any scooping of tasty, tasty Pirate loot.

Source: https://youtu.be/JRzDwv3Gmr4

RIGHT ON COMMANDER!

3cK5Ezz.png

'Native of Riedquat'

o7

RIGHT ON COMMANDER!

3cK5Ezz.png

'Native of Riedquat'

o7
Cheers, Nothoria Infama - that’s the first RoC I’ve had in FFE 😁

I’ve been Competent for a while now, got at 128 kills, and I’d expect to get the first RoC at double that amount - thing is, the message pop-up can spit out several at a time which may have buried the notification under a “target lost” or something 😅
———
Today’s Riedquat run had a bountiful harvest - even though I slipped into La Soeur du Dan Ham (🧐) with no Autopilot and only half hull strength, behold my stuffs:
2431FAE5-9CA0-48CB-96B4-619338F81FF3.jpeg

The Computers & Robots were my Leestian-bought cargo, but the rest more than compensated my repair bill - though the last unit of Gem Stones did see me off a bit; my last interception was within 5000km of the Station, and after I’d taken out the wing of three Adders the Gems were too tasty for me to pass by - I jettisoned some of my earlier Pirate loot (1t of Air Processors) and was immediately hit with a 3000 credit fine for illegal dumping!

This is Riedquat - the system in permanent turmoil. A fine for littering? Have I missed the campaign, “Keep Our Anarchy Clean” or something? 😂

I made just over 2.5k credits back from the Gems, so only a small loss overall. But, still!

Kathy and I. We need more brutal, native, homely anarchy grinder at Riedquat,

We are lucky ones. We know how hard it can be. There is no Pay-to-Win option available for us.

That's why they don't bother.

Wait - the Imperial Navy had a research station IN Reidequat...?

No wonder the pirates attacked it - all that top-of-the-line tech in there. At least now we know why so many pirates in Reidequat fly Imperial Couriers - they got stolen from the research base.

Wait - the Imperial Navy had a research station IN Reidequat...?

No wonder the pirates attacked it - all that top-of-the-line tech in there. At least now we know why so many pirates in Reidequat fly Imperial Couriers - they got stolen from the research base.
It seems they also had terraforming equipment in-system, though it’s not clear whether it was just passing through Riedquat on its way elsewhere:
56EE93B6-FEDC-43F4-A807-B4AF6A58959C.jpeg

Wow! Home sweet Riedquat.

I had absolutely no Idea about this kind of stuff.

(psst. If you see some of my drunken tirades/rants/posts, please just ignore it as long as my own better judgement goes it through, with either full acceptance or self-censorship.)

KB's vid in a forgotten corner of the Net dedicated for Elite/Frontier games isn't out of place. Of course. Naturally. She was the didact to those female artists of the genre who came after her.

Besides. Nothoria Infama is her fan. :D

EDIT: Also for note, at least 1/3 of the forums 'Elite Plus' thread is "produced" when being mildly to hardly drunken, particularly when making publishable in-game reels (paper works follow). The Last three speedrun records suffer from that handicap too, as well as this comment.

AA can mean two things. Archangel and Anonymous Alcoholic. In this case these two letters coincidentally meet in a compact, condensed character of Elite Arhangel+. It is actually sad. I waste my life for and with that old game, but I also waste it with too much alcohol, Good side of that is that I can be hellishly drunken when I cannot anymore fly my Cobra MkIII. Concentration level and the routine is THAT hard-coded to my nerves...

Luckily only Frontier-community will occasionally suffer from my bad conduct. Elite Plus community won't, as there are no such thing.

Last edited:
I know that the paper articles change to the system you're in (or one you've recently visited) in order to make you think that all this stuff's happening around you. It still makes it fun to see naval forces in places where they shouldn't be, lol.

It is actually sad. I waste my life for and with that old game, but I also waste it with too much alcohol, Good side of that is that I can be hellishly drunken when I cannot anymore fly my Cobra MkIII. Concentration level and the routine is THAT hard-coded to my nerves...Luckily only Frontier-community will occasionally suffer from my bad conduct. Elite Plus community won't, as there are no such thing.

If it’s something you enjoy, it’s never a waste of your time - though perhaps not the alcohol so much, from a health perspective 😅

Elite Plus is a niche within a niche within a niche and I wouldn’t be surprised if you were the sole flyer right now - but even though it’s a path you’re walking alone, you do at least have a few of us monitoring your progress. Occasional hitchhikers, so to speak 😁
I know that the paper articles change to the system you're in (or one you've recently visited) in order to make you think that all this stuff's happening around you. It still makes it fun to see naval forces in places where they shouldn't be, lol.
Looks like I was in a wrong place at the right time then - I’d have been scratching my head a bit if there had been mass pirate fleets based in the Capitol worlds 😂

Edit: I’ve just checked the newsfeed again and the two last stories are now saying the Pirate attacks and Leader escape happened in Diso, my current system 😅

Last edited:
I reached my first major milestone today - 1000 kills:
07302CB0-CA87-4104-A4E5-04B7059D22CB.jpeg

...and the only “Right On Commander” I’ve seen was from Nothoria Infama above 😅

I should be seeing them every 256 kills but I suspect they’re getting lost in message clutter. What I need to do is briefly pause after each kill for the next twenty-odd pirate explosions and see if I can catch that elusive ROC text.
———
I’ve made a slight change to my load-out; the nasty brigands of the Old Worlds have a good supply of missiles that my Naval ECM cannot handle and I’ve found I need to be able to take two missile hits in quick succession without my shields failing, otherwise hull damage mounts up too swiftly. Sacrificing almost all my cargo space (leaving just enough for 4t of Mil Fuel) for Shield Generators, I’ve now got 10 of them stacked up in my Cobra Mk3 - but I can still make a profit on each run via scooped cargo.

Right then, 5000 pirates had better get their affairs in order, I’ma comin’ fer ‘em 😁

Arioch - doing his part to stop software copyright theft.

Oh wait - you mean the other kind of pirates.
(Looks at the Dream Ware smuggling contracts taken and all the scooped canisters of Computers in the cargo hold)
Yup, defo the other kind 😁
———
I’ve managed to snap that darned stealthy ROC - as suspected, the notification from the Pilot’s Federation was immediately getting buried by a “target lost” message...
4DFDD581-A9F7-41E4-B923-20DE2E5979BA.jpeg

...so I suppose the only way to see the pop-up would be to never target enemy ships?

The game certainly made me work for it on this jaunt - when I finally landed and the Shipyard engineer had finished sucking air through their teeth while looking at my Cobra with a pained expression on their face, I was presented with the bill:
8298041E-AF97-46CC-90F0-545177ECB6FE.jpeg

😅

Last edited:
I feel it’s time the second most important FE2 / FFE question* is answered - if I fly with my undercarriage down, will it really be damaged by micrometeorites? 😁

This won’t be a very easy thing to test; nanny software in the ship’s autopilot raises the gear whenever it is engaged, meaning that if I want to test this out properly I’ll never have to use it. After a quick visit to the local shipyard and 1t extra cargo space gained, it was time to set sail just after half past eight in the morning of the 1st of September with the training wheels off and my big boy wheels down 😛
CFA7FCC6-66E5-46FB-82E2-AD28D8222C90.jpeg

*the most important question is, of course, who is Dan Ham’s sister?

My Cobra has been flouncing around the Galaxy with her gams on show like a brazen Victorian hussy for so long that other equipment has started to malfunction due to lack of servicing:
04F04398-C287-4300-9A0D-46EBDA2087FF.jpeg

Over the course of the last (in-game) eight-and-a-bit months I’ve made many, many jumps, had my Military Drive shot out, and taken lots of damage during combat encounters - and the undercarriage has remained undamaged 😁

The warning about damage from micrometeorites? I think we can safely assume that the micrometeorites are composed of fluff and pose no actual threat 😉

Although I’ve become very adept at System transits without an autopilot, I refitted one once I reached dock in Vega - I’ll not miss scanning the skies after jump-in, trying to spot my destination planets 😅

In other news, May’s issue of Universal Scientist had an interesting snippet about a viral outbreak, and the possible source:
6BAF6D0A-DB2E-4635-830E-DCB867863CAC.jpeg

Hey! I’m actually going for my COVID vaccine jab this morning, give me a break! 😅

The article stated that your ship was the source of the disease - not the pilot of the vessel.

For crying out loud - get your ship washed once in a while - it's got more dirt particles on it than a mud comet...

The article stated that your ship was the source of the disease - not the pilot of the vessel.

For crying out loud - get your ship washed once in a while - it's got more dirt particles on it than a mud comet...
No cargo bay life support - so the only biological carrier available for the virus was the pilot aaaaAaaaAAA-TISHOOOO-rioch, but I suppose it could’ve been lodged in the treads of my landing wheels 🤔

I would’ve thought my battered Cobra would be more likely to give people tetanus, but she’s had a Full Service carried out now so that sharp rusty danger has hopefully been passed.

Unfortunately my subscription to UniSci has just expired, so I can’t check for any follow-up stories...
(wanders off mumbling “nowt to do with me guv, outta sight, outta mind”)
😁

Top Bottom