Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Lol... well tell that to this guy. :D

Same sort of thing.

Source: https://youtu.be/OTUXEIKI9Jc?t=190

If there's an online adversarial game, there's literally hundreds of little edgelords who spend most of their time online using readily available trainers and hacks instead of playing the games

yeah tbf hackers gonna hack and cheaters gonna cheat, its what they do....all day long. Its always a reactive battle, fix this hack and they find that one and so on. If banks and facebook etc can get hacked then games will always be at risk. So the question is what does the company do when it has proven (to its own standard and proof) with the hackers and cheats. Thats the bit Im interested in, the actual response, and sorry for diverting but Frontier / ED '3 strikes and we mean it this time' policy is chaff. What will CIG do I wonder, not immediately they need time to investigate and take action, but when they do decide it is cheating or hacking?

Catch em, kick em, perma-ban em and fix the leak if possible...or leave it open even to catch the easy ones meaning more time to focus on the harder to detect ones but do not ever give them a second chance. If they wanna pay for another acct all good, if that cheats ban them too. There is no room for these people in MMOs at all and its never bad publicity to say you banned them, getting a bad name for hacking as a company is almost the worst thing that can happen.

I like the idea of a self-contained game where all the hackers and cheats go to play against each other until they give up, but just an outright ban an no second chances is also good.

You're right about that, Lumberyard is CryEngine 3.7, maybe 3.8, its old and was never intended for more than 60 players on an 8KM square map, 16KM maximum.

They got around its size limitations, and hats off to them for that but clearly they haven't got around the networking limitations, yet?

Good job on PS2 BTW, a very enjoyable game.
and yet either knowing that from the get go, or being so incompetant that they thought CryEngine could be modded quickly, CR and CiG went out and asked the gaming public for funding for a 2-3 year development cycle that was never going to be successful...

I honestly love the blocky designs of ASP Explorer or Cobra - they are really recognisable and look great with added detail. And they provide continuity to previous games. The scale seems off, though, at least when you look at it from the FPS view in Odyssey. The stairs to the Imperial Cutter are quite ridiculous :) I hope this will be fixed over time, adding FPS to the game will make us aware of many such things I guess.

Things do get improved in time. Remember when ED changed from the "18 jumps + 1" thing to "19 jumps" but when you'd do the last jump, the text for "Next Jump" was really tiny? I'm sure they left it in for a bit as a 'wow, look at this f-up' but with enough requests, the font size was corrected. I'm expecting the same for those huge stairs. Instead of sweeping it under the rug, they've allowed it to answer that "did they scale it up?" question, before fixing it.

Could CIG be operating in a similar way? Hmm... now that makes me chuckle.

That is the centre of mass part. The Tonk is very top-heavy, a better distribution of mass would prevent it or make it less likely to flip. I think it is easy to solve, I assume every model has its centre of mass manually set to a certain point, so they just need to lower it.

(Once physicalised materials are in, though ... :) )
I think this would be true if we assume that the Anti-Grav unit is something fitted to the underside of the vehicle and is 'pushing off the ground'

I'm not entirely sure how Anti-Grav would work but if it was a unit inside of the vehicle and pushing out in all directions, the SoG wouldn't matter :) at all.

Although I didn't witness the actual flip. (easy oot)
Regards
Pug

I like the idea of a self-contained game where all the hackers and cheats go to play against each other until they give up, but just an outright ban an no second chances is also good.
It would give me great pleasure to code a flag against a user account, hacker - default no. The moment they do something naughty then the flag gets switched and they only get in an instance with other hackers. In an MMO no one would likely know and if the player complains then its a design limitation of the instancing. It's likely the people they play with will be similar outlook anyway.

I think this would be true if we assume that the Anti-Grav unit is something fitted to the underside of the vehicle and is 'pushing off the ground'

I'm not entirely sure how Anti-Grav would work but if it was a unit inside of the vehicle and pushing out in all directions, the SoG wouldn't matter :) at all.

Although I didn't witness the actual flip. (easy oot)
Regards
Pug
What's a sog?

My favorite part of this clip is the two citizens jumping off the ship at the end ( twitch clip )

OMG, it would be so much easier and cheaper to spend 5% of the budget and deliver a stylised, cartoony, single planet plus moon, funny sandbox to screw around in. No pretence, no elaborate lore, just stupid fun with some basic pvp and grind against mindless space-bug NPCs in a horde mode. Space Machos or something.

This thing has physics of a rigid styrofoam box:
Source: https://youtu.be/VN_6JL9wY6M?t=517

$100 well spent.

It looks weird and need's some work but that's Daymar, a low gravity moon.

Okay, maybe I’m missing something, since I’m analyzing that video on my iPad, so I can’t be as precise as I’d prefer... but that tank seems to have fallen three times its length vertically, in three seconds. At 16 meters in length, this would be an acceleration of gravity of 10.67 m/s/s. Granted, there’s a great deal of uncertainty here at the moment, but it’s far more likely that the gravity seen in that video is Earth normal, than anything that would qualify as “low gravity”.

It's funny that we're talking about PlanetSide 1/2 here because I worked on that game (I left before the gold master). The 3D engine and networking were built with massive battles in mind from the get go, including interesting ways to cull environmental objects, the transmission of player data, and the server architecture itself.

Maybe I don't understand game development, but everything I've read and experienced with CryEngine/Lumberyard means they cannot produce battles anywhere close to the scale of PS1/2. Especially -- and I cannot stress this enough -- using AWS and not their own internal sever architecture, for both software and hardware.

Oh whhaat?

Is there anything else you can share on PS’s networking approach?

Like their FAQ suggests it’s literally single regional servers hosting thousands? (Which seems insane). Then fan lore ([1],[2]) seems to have it that it’s a lot of deterministic physics, client prediction, & proximity priority helping out.

I straight up know nada about this stuff, but I can see how Amazon’s ‘rent a random rack' enterprise servers would be a terrible fit for the above, for sure.

(Also it sounds like PS avoids shuttling twitch gameplay data between super servers, let alone supermarket ones ;))

Top Bottom