Game Discussions Star Citizen Discussion Thread v12

Why d
I think this would be true if we assume that the Anti-Grav unit is something fitted to the underside of the vehicle and is 'pushing off the ground'

I'm not entirely sure how Anti-Grav would work but if it was a unit inside of the vehicle and pushing out in all directions, the SoG wouldn't matter :) at all.

Although I didn't witness the actual flip. (easy oot)
Regards
Pug
A good example of an anti-gravity vehicle is a spaceship. Why would anyone need a tank when the ships can do things better?

Okay, maybe I’m missing something, since I’m analyzing that video on my iPad, so I can’t be as precise as I’d prefer... but that tank seems to have fallen three times its length vertically, in three seconds. At 16 meters in length, this would be an acceleration of gravity of 10.67 m/s/s. Granted, there’s a great deal of uncertainty here at the moment, but it’s far more likely that the gravity seen in that video is Earth normal, than anything that would qualify as “low gravity”.
Chris Roberts, physics, Garriot_teaches_Roberts_momentum.divx

I adore the natural behaviour of the NPC grunts guarding closed sections of the Javelin:
Source: https://youtu.be/VuMkh89zSk4?t=516

In general the NPCs are pretty stiff, although their faces seem to have captured expressions instead of standard procedural ones from other games. Some areas of the ship are ridiculously dark, but there is a lot of nice detail around and I guess the layout makes sense.

The idea of the tour is cool, I can see it as part of a level in Squadron 42, for example during an interactive intro. Could be nicely woven into the plot and provide a bit of initial exposition, with background music, cinematic credits still rolling etc., then a sudden attack, manning a turret, grabbing a weapon from a dead marine, fighting KilrathiVanduul boarding teams, then escaping in a fighter and going directly into a space battle. Many entertaining cliches to pack into a single scene!

Too bad it is a hype machine before a sales event.

(Theorycrafting is a a rewarding activity!)

Last edited:
I adore the natural behaviour of the NPC grunts guarding closed sections of the Javelin:
Source: https://youtu.be/VuMkh89zSk4?t=516

In general the NPCs are pretty stiff, although their faces seem to have captured expressions instead of standard procedural ones from other games. Some areas of the ship are ridiculously dark, but there is a lot of nice detail around and I guess the layout makes sense.

The idea of the tour is cool, I can see it as part of a level in Squadron 42, for example during an interactive intro. Could be nicely woven into the plot and provide a bit of initial exposition, with background music, cinematic credits still rolling etc., then a sudden attack, manning a turret, grabbing a weapon from a dead marine, fighting KilrathhiVanduul boarding teams, then escaping in a fighter and going directly into a space battle. Many entertaining cliches to pack into a single scene!

Too bad it is a hype machine before a sales event.

(Theorycrafting is a a rewarding activity!)

"Kilrathi" :unsure::ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Oh whhaat?

Is there anything else you can share on PS’s networking approach?

Like their FAQ suggests it’s literally single regional servers hosting thousands? (Which seems insane). Then fan lore ([1],[2]) seems to have it that it’s a lot of deterministic physics, client prediction, & proximity priority helping out.

I straight up know nada about this stuff, but I can see how Amazon’s ‘rent a random rack' enterprise servers would be a terrible fit for the above, for sure.

(Also it sounds like PS avoids shuttling twitch gameplay data between super servers, let alone supermarket ones ;))
Unfortunately I am a huge dummy and a lot of the specific network engineering stuff goes right over my head.

I was a network engineer for British Telecom - and a lot of the SC specific network engineering stuff is utter baubles.

It always struck me as absolutely bonkers they claimed they could do dynamic repartitioning of the game space, smooth transition between server boundaries and twitch gameplay with detailed physics of modular ships and potentially hundreds of players (plus hundreds of NPC with basic AI routines) in a single battle. Ah, every character is also modular because they have "physicalised" inventory and every object, every bullet, med-pen or space plushie is tracked.

I mean, you can do this and, as a result, witness an unplayable eldritch horror of cosmic desync on the scale not seen in SC so far, but that is about it. The amount of required real time, over-the-network sync during a dense situation like this would be insane.

Last edited:
The amount of required real time, over-the-network sync during a dense situation like this would be insane.
That is CI-G's problem.

Don't even attempt real time if you cannot change the speed of light.

Alternatives exist though, and I am sure Genuine Roberts will invent some groundbreaking new solution if he handwaves enough at both of his network engineers and offers them a second-hand Porsche to share, as an incentive.

Top Bottom