Odyssey is a great achievement and I could not be more thankful for what Frontier delivered

What Frontier pulled off here is a dream come true to me. Sure there are tons of bugs in this rushed release but the fundamentals are all here and I could not be more excited for the future of this great game.

Thank you so much all people working at Frontier and David Braben for delivering us this incredible game. You guys are the best, I mean it.
I don't really have anything to add. I've had a total blast with Odyssey so far with only a few bugs here and there. Also planet gen needs some work but they're working hard to sort out bugs and performance issues which are more important imo. Solid expansion.

Sorry people, I don’t wanted to be rude to anyone. I already had a drink when I wrote my original post so it was probably a bit over the top, I realized now. But I wrote it as a reaction to the prevailing negativity that is sometimes so present in this community.

You all realize that Frontier is not you enemy and they don’t want to scam you right? I find it appalling how so many are using abusive language against the people that are building this great game for all of us. And I am not saying that because I’m employed by Frontier but because I try to put myself into the perspective of the people working there. It’s not that hard.

I see how some people might find it difficult that I was praising Braben as well, after all someone gave the go to this messy, messy release. I don’t know what the management decision was there regarding the release but please keep in mind that the game industry, like most creative industries, is a difficult place to operate in and we don’t know about the constraints they where exposed to.

My whole point is, let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. I wholeheartedly believe that Frontier is not in it for scaming their customers but they genuinely love what they are building for all of us.

Take care.

You all realize that Frontier is not you enemy and they don’t want to scam you right?
Considering they released the DLC from alpha to release, without beta. Considering they said the Alpha was only a very small portion of the DLC content, while it was the majority (only a few guns and settlements missing). Considering they said they had another build, with all our issues fixed during alpha, and it was simply not true. Considering they said the requirement for Odyssey would not change, and if your PC could run Horizon it would run Odyssey, only to post the actual requirement (higher than Horizon) only the DAY before release. I'm not sure if they are not there to scam me.

Usually you don't lie several time when you are not trying to scam someone. They aren't my enemy, but they certainly haven't been honest with EDO.

Last edited:
Considering they released the DLC from alpha to release, without beta. Considering they say the Alpha was only a very small portion of the DLC content, while it was the majority (only a few guns and settlements missing). Considering they said they had another build, with all our issues fixed during alpha, and it was simply not true. Considering they said the requirement for Odyssey would not change, and if your PC could run Horizon it would run Odyssey, only to post the actual requirement (higher than Horizon) only the DAY before release. I'm not sure if they are not there to scam me.

Usually you don't lie several time when you are not trying to scam someone. They aren't my enemy, but they certainly haven't been honest with EDO.
This would have been better if the text gradually got bigger every 'considering' 🤣

6 years of the benefit of the doubt and they've only gotten progressively worse with releases and performance and peared down features and functionality.

But we should give them another shot.

At some point, you have to look at this for what it is. An abusive relationship where fdev is getting away with under performing their part of the bargain and we're all so addicted to it that we have started to think we deserve it.

There is one primary issue that binds this issue, and many other issues related to failed product launches together, whether its software or cars or clothes. Its an economic issue. The name of that issue is capitalism, and while we flounder around trying to find someone to blame or some way to excuse the problems we see everywhere, we must remember the reason WHY there is an incentive to push out broken products, defend them dishonestly, and full steam ahead even when the community is in an uproar.

Pull the other one!

Also I do agree with you about Braben, I think he's a cool guy and love what he's trying to do, I have sympathy for the hardworking devs. But this release has been an unmitigated disaster and if a restaurant served me a plate of poo I'd be offended. It's a mess and someone knew it was going to be a mess and it literally STINKS to see the cynical attempts by dubious posts to turn that narrative around. There have been many and they are easy to spot. We weren't born yesterday!

People are justifyably angry because they feel lied to, disappointed and let down. If I were an employee of fdev i would encourage their management to look at the criticism in the cold light of day and learn from it because if they don't and there are no changes in attitude it will be a gross squandering of goodwill that has already been stretched.

I just recently came back to the game because i felt like dog fighting in VR whit my new setup..

I have to be honest, im not sure that i ever seen a community so used to abuse and ready to forgive.

They sold us an alpha while LIEING multiple times in a row and you are still debating if this was a planned or not.

Stockholm Syndrome comes to mind, i really cant find another explanation to some of the White knighting post ive read so far. You guys are simply too used to getting (insert word) to notice.

Last edited:
Pull the other one!

Also I do agree with you about Braben, I think he's a cool guy and love what he's trying to do, I have sympathy for the hardworking devs. But this release has been an unmitigated disaster and if a restaurant served me a plate of poo I'd be offended. It's a mess and someone knew it was going to be a mess and it literally STINKS to see the cynical attempts by dubious posts to turn that narrative around. There have been many and they are easy to spot. We weren't born yesterday!

People are justifyably angry because they feel lied to, disappointed and let down. If I were an employee of fdev i would encourage their management to look at the criticism in the cold light of day and learn from it because if they don't and there are no changes in attitude it will be a gross squandering of goodwill that has already been stretched.
If I were an fdev employee I'd probably quit and give a tell all interview

I've been fairly critical throughout alpha and release - but I try to very deliberately stop short of calling out and directly criticising the development team who are working (without a doubt, with great effort and diligence) on the game. However, I don't think that we are at the unconditional cheerleading phase just yet.

It is possible to be critically supportive. 'Even better if...' - in the parlance of the educator...

I just recently came back to the game because i felt like dog fighting in VR whit my new setup..

I have to be honest, im not sure that i ever seen a community so used to abuse and ready to forgive.

They sold us an alpha while LIEING multiple times in a row and you are still debating if this was a planned or not.

Stockholm Syndrome come to mind, i really cant find another explanation to some of the White knighting post ive read so far. You guys are simply too used to getting (insert word) to notice.
I think you are right about that. And it isnt just limited to these forums, this product. Wherever vendors can get away with this, they do it. They turn people into 'fans', and they try to contextualize every mistake they make in terms of a community project of some sort, as if we are all working on the game with them and must overcome issues together. This isnt some garage/passion project where you BYOB, this is a for-profit corporation selling a product.

It's nice to know that everything could be solved simply by removing fleet carriers from the game again. Entirely and totally. Write them out of any lore too, please.

:D S
I'd be cool with this for a full carrier cost refund and store credit on any and all arx spent on FC cosmetics. I can't say if many others would agree.

My whole point is, let’s give them the benefit of the doubt. I wholeheartedly believe that Frontier is not in it for scaming their customers but they genuinely love what they are building for all of us.
I wouldn't go as far as calling this a "scam" although , you can't deny the fact that they did lie about many things. They weren't transparent, not very communicative and the end result was Odyssey - the biggest mess since Cyberpunk and to be honest, I think Odyssey surpassed Cyberpunk.

I know game development is hard, and I know players are more demanding then ever, and I am not terribly upset about the performance and stability because I know it will be resolved eventually. What I am upset about is the lies, the empty promises and above all - the greed!

I don't blame the developers. In fact I pity them right now. They work tirelessly day and night, probably weekends as well, to fix this mess. This won't be fixed in few weeks. We are talking about months of work, if not even longer. The management is to blame for this. The game directors who mismanaged this project are the reason we got to this mess.

Top Bottom