Fleet carrier decommissioning demystified; and the mistakes in the in-game Codex

A good investigation, and not the only information to be incorrect in the codex. Some locations for ‘P’ anomalies and gourd molluscs are no where to be found once in the pinned systems.

Fleet carrier attributes were tweaked substantially during beta, including the refunding system. But I have a feeling that the codex was never fully updated regarding any of that? And shortly after going live any codex work was most likely halted in favour of odyssey. Who knows!?
Hopefully Fdev will correct the information this year, and even develop the codex further (bread crumbs!)?

Flimley
So much of the Fandom Wiki entry on Fleet Carriers references only the forum posts from the beta period... there just isn't much good post-beta documentation on anything to do with fleet carriers. I could write a similar article on the secure warehouse at this point, almost none of it is right.

Support Luna

Customer Support
Frontier
Luna is a girl? I always thought they were not girl. Yeah that person is a shining beacon of light in frontier developments. Maintains much of the goodwill around elite every time they get assigned to a ticket.

Great op post for the carrier research. Quality work there.
Can confirm; am girl.
More importantly, I can confirm that the decommissioning info in the Codex is the expected behaviour, post-beta. I could have sworn everything was working this way when I tested it myself, a short while after launch. That's quite some time ago now though.
I've highlighted these findings internally, and we'll get this all looked into :)

Can confirm; am girl.
More importantly, I can confirm that the decommissioning info in the Codex is the expected behaviour, post-beta. I could have sworn everything was working this way when I tested it myself, a short while after launch. That's quite some time ago now though.
I've highlighted these findings internally, and we'll get this all looked into :)
Hi Luna. If you could also confirm whether an open buy order should or should not count as mass (and thus increase fuel consumption) that would be much appreciated. At the moment if you have no cargo or services, but a buy order of say 25,000t, you will consume tritium as if you had 25000t cargo. Thanks.

I was also wondering what happened to all the ships docked on the carrier.
Do they end up at the nearest station with a shipyard?

I was also wondering what happened to all the ships docked on the carrier.
Do they end up at the nearest station with a shipyard?
In the Pending Decommission state you can get them off as normal. In the Decommissioned state you can’t access the carrier but you can transfer ships and modules stored on it to another shipyard for no fee.

After that... we will find out! Two of us left ships on the decommissioned carrier and we’re leaving them there until it disappears from the game.

Support Luna

Customer Support
Frontier
Hi Luna. If you could also confirm whether an open buy order should or should not count as mass (and thus increase fuel consumption) that would be much appreciated. At the moment if you have no cargo or services, but a buy order of say 25,000t, you will consume tritium as if you had 25000t cargo. Thanks.
I guess this will be down to the fact that the cargo space is allotted/reserved as soon as the order is created.
I'll see if I can get clarification on whether the fuel consumption is by design or not.

This week, I'll be decommissioning the Fleet Carrier I have had on my PS4 account many for months and will let you guys know if I'm charged more for having the carrier longer.

I guess this will be down to the fact that the cargo space is allotted/reserved as soon as the order is created.
Well, in my opinion, it should not work this way. Only actual cargo should add mass. I know this instance of poor design is not your fault Luna. ;)

Last edited:
So much of the Fandom Wiki entry on Fleet Carriers references only the forum posts from the beta period... there just isn't much good post-beta documentation on anything to do with fleet carriers. I could write a similar article on the secure warehouse at this point, almost none of it is right.
It's a good idea to filter Fandom out of your search results if possible. Almost every page on there has outdated, missing or inaccurate information, and for some reason search engines give it priority over better dedicated wikis.

Does the decommisioning process work exactly the same way if you don't pay the upkeep and it automatically decomissions? I'd hate to think that I'd lose the entire price of the ship if I just didn't feel like playing and decided to take a break from the game for a while and it got behind in the upkeep, 5 billion is a lot of cash to lose.

Personally that's why I think these carriers are not exactly the best mechanic. A private carrier that is set to refuse docking for anyone but yourself should despawn with you and not accrue costs while you are offline. Since nobody else is going to be on it, despawning with you shouldn't be a problem. The mechanic appears to be designed to force you to play whether you want to or not in order to make enough credits to pay the upkeep.

As I have said before, a smaller and cheaper one with half the jump range/fuel, far less upkeep and only a few bays (1 of each s/m/l maybe), no capability for anyone else to land on it, a fairly large cargo capacity for long range mining etc and despwans with the player would be far better for players to use as a personal mobile base. It would certainly avoid all the clutter around every major system in the hub since the owner would be the only one requiring a point of reference to fly to it.

Does the decommisioning process work exactly the same way if you don't pay the upkeep and it automatically decomissions? I'd hate to think that I'd lose the entire price of the ship if I just didn't feel like playing and decided to take a break from the game for a while and it got behind in the upkeep, 5 billion is a lot of cash to lose.
It's not clear from the Codex when a forced debt-related decommission is activated, or what refund you'll get. It refers to "excessive neglect of finances" and paying off debt "as soon as possible" without giving any timeframes. The latest information I can find is from the Beta 2 patch notes:
  • The Debt Threshold has been updated in line with the upkeep changes (This means with all services installed, a carrier can go 10 weeks (up from 4) without paying upkeep before being issued a final warning).
It's possible this is still true. But it's all very odd. It specifies in the Codex that "If a fleet carrier voluntarily decommissioned [sic], a fee of 125,000,000 cr is deducted from the refund, along with any outstanding debt." There's no corresponding information for non-voluntary (ie debt threshold) decommissions. Is the fee applied then too? Or do you just pay the debt only? Time for another experiment maybe. Unless Luna would help by sharing the info directly?

I would be worried if I had finanacial problems or such and had to disconnect my internet until my finances were better. Coming back to the game to find my FC decommissioned and 5 billion worse off financially would result in a total removal of the game.

I never really wanted an online game in the first place, Elite was always a single player offline game in my view, if they wanted an online version as well, so be it, but there should be an option to play offline. The FC forced decommission would never be an issue then, neither would the upkeep since it would not accrue unless you were actually playing anyway, NPC's could use the market and generate a small amount of income for you, maybe not as much as players would in order to balance it. I always play solo anyway. None of these offline charges to force you to go back to the game or lose everything.
To me, it's unethical to force any player to keep playing like that. It also promotes burnout where people just never go back to the game because they've totally burned out on it. If you let them take breaks and come back two or three months later, you're more likely to keep them playing.

Last edited:
This week, I'll be decommissioning the Fleet Carrier I have had on my PS4 account many for months and will let you guys know if I'm charged more for having the carrier longer.

Well, in my opinion, it should not work this way. Only actual cargo should add mass. I know this instance of poor design is not your fault Luna. ;)
I can understand it. The alternative is you risk a failed jump because someone sold you some goods and you no longer have enough fuel to make the jump. Of course if all service are shut as soon as you schedule a jump then that problem would go away.

I can understand it. The alternative is you risk a failed jump because someone sold you some goods and you no longer have enough fuel to make the jump.
True, although you would have saved way more fuel if the active import order hadn't burned it in the first place. The real problem here is that people are flying up to Rackham's Peak with active buy orders (which they don't realise need to be turned off) and then they run out of fuel. We (Fleet Carrier Owners Club) have stationed a rescue/refuel carrier up there because it's happening time and again.

I know this is a separate issue from the Decom codex, but it's still a Codex/mechanics issue that needs resolving, and it's cool that Luna has added it to the list.

Thank goodness for this more recent post.. I was working with the fandom wiki and old articles, worrying that they might be wrong.. good to know which bits are correct so far and to have confirmation that the info in the codex is what is meant to happen (even if it dosen't yet).

Edit: I've been contemplating decomissioning my carrier as a more efficient way of moving my whole fleet the 25KLY back to the bubble.. looks like it will more or less work that way.

Thank goodness for this more recent post.. I was working with the fandom wiki and old articles, worrying that they might be wrong.. good to know which bits are correct so far and to have confirmation that the info in the codex is what is meant to happen (even if it dosen't yet).

Edit: I've been contemplating decomissioning my carrier as a more efficient way of moving my whole fleet the 25KLY back to the bubble.. looks like it will more or less work that way.
if you're taking just your own fleet home from Colonia, for example, with zero services, it's marginally cheaper to use your own carrier, just about, than pay the decommission costs which Jon identified as 150m rather than 125m. But if you are in the black and unable to remove those services then decommissioning will be cheaper. If you are in Colonia then there are carriers each week with Shipyards installed so you can get home for free, although donations are much appreciated by the owners.

Decommissioning costs took my refund down to 4.855Bn... so, 150M offset by a refund of the 5M that I had in balance. What I want to know is, how long will the un-dockable FC remain in the game? Will it vanish after 3 months, the time stated in the message for removing ships and modules?

1622003861120.png

I'm still unclear on what happens to your cargo when you decommission it?
Is it deleted with no refund, or is the value of it (at some unspecified market price eg: Gal Avg) refunded to you?
Or is it better to trade it off before you decommission it?

Thinking of taking a long holiday for 3 months while Odyssey is brought up to release state, and don't want to pay through the nose for it.
We should be able to put the carrier into suspension if we're taking a break.

I'm still unclear on what happens to your cargo when you decommission it?
Is it deleted with no refund, or is the value of it (at some unspecified market price eg: Gal Avg) refunded to you?
Or is it better to trade it off before you decommission it?

Thinking of taking a long holiday for 3 months while Odyssey is brought up to release state, and don't want to pay through the nose for it.
We should be able to put the carrier into suspension if we're taking a break.
I'd recommend empyting the carrier entirely before decommissioning it, to ensure you get at least what you paid for any cargo etc.

I'd recommend empyting the carrier entirely before decommissioning it, to ensure you get at least what you paid for any cargo etc.

Thanks.

A couple more questions I can't find clear answers to.

1. I have 1000T of Tritium in the TDepot. Is there any way to move that to cargo or to ship? Or once it's in the depot it's use it or lose it? If so, that's a bit dumb.
2. It says you can move your ships to a station for free, but only after decommissioning. It also says in a few guides that after decommissioning your ships are moved to the closest station with a fleet carrier office. At what actual point, and where, can I move my ships back to a home station for free?

Thanks!

Top Bottom