New Planet Tech is KILLER of Exploration (all terrain is tiling/repeating/not procedural/random)

Yeah, that's a noise graph :D But that Ayers rock looking one could be premade. I can't say, as I don't start it up until the fixes are through. And really, it would need a lot of work to correlate the data.. for nothing. Because FD won't say anything until fixed, as you said.
Wait, I just googled Ayers Rock and I realized there was a series of misunderstandings from my side.
It was about those flat top thing and not my "Mt. Everest".
Even so, "Ayers Rock" mountains are IMO just a TYPE of generated assets. There is nothing so special about it that would explain necessity of considering them predefined assets.

Wait, I just googled Ayers Rock and I realized there was a series of misunderstandings from my side.
It was about those flat top thing and not my "Mt. Everest".
Even so, "Ayers Rock" mountains are IMO just a TYPE of generated assets. There is nothing so special about it that would explain necessity of considering them predefined assets.
1623241316201.png

This one I believe, from Valorins post. But as said, I have no idea at this point :D

This one I believe, from Valorins post. But as said, I have no idea at this point :D
ZZPmpD.jpg
Well, I just too a longer look at "my" mountain and I like it more end more.
it has rigdes, cols, and whatevers (I'd have to google translations for mountain features), proportions are plausible for a steep rocky mountain visible from distance.
AND it looks generated considering the flaws of geometry.

ZZPmpD.jpg
Well, I just too a longer look at "my" mountain and I like it more end more.
it has rigdes, cols, and whatevers (I'd have to google translations for mountain features), proportions are plausible for a steep rocky mountain visible from distance.
AND it looks generated considering the flaws of geometry.
Yup, more this one is pretty awesome. More of this, less repeated flat rocks :D

Well, it would have to be some proper supersonic "breeze" blowing always in the same direction to make this... thing.
That could work if there was some sort of resistant igneous sill in there. Erosion over millions of years or more?

Would this look silly if generated on a planet in a computer game?

pic.jpg

Last edited:
Odd, I can see it in the post. It is Devil's Tower Wyoming.
OK, I googled this.

Yeah, point taken, some natural terrain features on atmospheric planets can indeed look unreal, artificial or like a product of BROKEN procedural terrain generator. Even if they're legit.

Last edited:
I've come back with another comparison. I mentioned the loss of Taylor Keep before. That was a beautiful INRA base in a crater, in a crater, between the central pillar in the crater.

I've just gone to check out a Guardian Site in Vela Dark Region JS-T b3-0, planet A 3 and it had the guardian site set in the most incredible location, with the circle overlooking the vast terrain much lower:

Horizons:
unknown.png

Horizons:
unknown.png

And here is the same location in Odyssey. To no surprise it looks like every other planet:
unknown.png

unknown.png

Wow... Just wow...

Deleted member 115407

D
I've come back with another comparison. I mentioned the loss of Taylor Keep before. That was a beautiful INRA base in a crater, in a crater, between the central pillar in the crater.

I've just gone to check out a Guardian Site in Vela Dark Region JS-T b3-0, planet A 3 and it had the guardian site set in the most incredible location, with the circle overlooking the vast terrain much lower:

Horizons:
unknown.png

Horizons:
unknown.png

And here is the same location in Odyssey. To no surprise it looks like every other planet:
unknown.png

unknown.png

Wow... Just wow...
Gotta admit, that Horizons location is a lot sexier.

Horizons:
unknown.png

Horizons:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Wow... Just wow...
You wrote "sexy" in red in one of the screenshot, that's a subliminal message !

Joke aside, yeah, it's not even remotely in the same category.

Horizons:
unknown.png

Horizons:
unknown.png

unknown.png

unknown.png

Wow... Just wow...
That lost so much atmosphere I'm speechless.

At least the handcrafted POIs should look better than that.

Top Bottom