A possible way to inspire people to play in Open

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It's a simple idea that could easily be implemented with the existing mechanics, as they appear to work. Since most of the people who play in solo do so to avoid pirates and gankers, the only way to lure people out of solo is to drastically reduce the risk of encountering those types. And I think you could do that by instituting a "death penalty" for anyone who attacks an unarmed ship. Basically, attack an unarmed ship and your commander is erased as if you had hit the menu option yourself. All your ships, all your money, all your ranks-- gone. Enjoy your new Sidewinder!

I really don't think that "idea" is going to go down very well. That's a play mode more or less like a private group that agrees not to kill each other. I 'kin hate the pointless murderhobos who attempt to gun you down without so much as a "howdy neighbour" but I think they were always intended to be part of the game.

Since most of the people who play in solo do so to avoid pirates and gankers

I don't know where you get your information, but that might not be true at all.

I and many others play ED solo, because that is how we want to enjoy our games.
Personally I just don't want to engage with others whatsoever, not in PvP, not in coöp.
I am even disgusted with the MMO pollution I encounter in the solo game, like the names of first discoverers, all these fleet carriers that clog up some systems, and the general influence others have on my game. I would like to play in a pristine ED universe, and wipe all other influences off the face of the galaxy.

I own many games with multiplayer components, like Wildlands, all the Unreal Tournament games, all the quake and doom games, several Call of Duty games, the Division games etc.etc. Never have I even considered doing anything multiplayer in these games.

There is nothing that could seduce me to do multiplayer in Elite.
I would however pay a large amount of extra money for a separately developed, offline, moddable single player version.
That would be my dream Elite game.

Basically, attack an unarmed ship and your commander is erased as if you had hit the menu option yourself. All your ships, all your money, all your ranks-- gone. Enjoy your new Sidewinder!
I am very much against that. Open should be truly open and free.
Not constricted by unnatural rules and artificial punishments.
In real life unarmed victims are not protected by magic either.
It would be ridiculous to see this happen in ED.
There are enough problems with the Crime and Punishment system of Elite as it is now.

Last edited:
Since most of the people who play in solo do so to avoid pirates and gankers,
wrong, imho. i'm a mode hopper, and whether i play group, solo or open is down to mood (plus where i might encounter people during playing play a role whether i log into open or group).

i usually log into open to encounter pirates (and take gankers along). what kills it for me most of the times, that there is no risk attached to it. either i sit in a ship they can't get before highwake, or i sit in a ship which can't escape. That's not risky, but either/or. Not very interesting.

It was just an idea.

I don't get the bit about "artificial rules" though. All the rules are artificial. Even the current rules which subtly, but very directly, encourage the very behavior that keeps people in Solo. For example, the way you have to be effectively outside the no-fire zone of a station before getting clear to jump. And then having to wait for it to charge. Or the way you pop into a system right in the middle then have to take a slow ride to your destination instead of just popping in at the station. Those are just as artificial as any other choice they could have made.

Myself, I also stay in Solo for the relative tranquility. So no change would work on me either.

I really think we need to just dispel this myth that Open is utterly dangerous and that at every turn there is someone waiting to gank your ship. It's not true. And we also need those in solo fearing this to realise that everything is there in order for you to engineer and protect your lowly trader/explorer ship and allow you to be on your way (most of the time...) and not worry about the very odd interdiction or problem you may encounter. This whole thing has been blown out of proportion for years now.

FDEV need to start making every single interaction on every level, either trade, exploration, war, etc etc mean something and have influence throughout. Then things would actually get interesting for everyone. The bubble and beyond would start to finally breathe. Like i hear time and time again, space is big. So if you really do wanna run 'solo' in open, you can, no probs at all (pretty much, kinda, sometimes, live a bit...)

I am in open basically 100% of the time. I go to engineers, to CGs and murder-hobo encounters I can count on one hand. Most of the rest have been in basically agreed on areas like power play and such. It's not nearly the forest of death it's made out to be. So far in my experience CMDR interactions are rare events and the rarest of them all is the CMDR hauling PP cargo. I digress.

That's not needed nor wouldI support that even as a non-PvP player myself. I do think some things about being a criminal should change. Insurance, station access in 'clean' ships and such but certainly not wipes.

the only way to lure people out of solo is to drastically reduce the risk of encountering those types.
You do realize that when you "lure" something or someone, it's to get it into a trap ?

If you need to "lure" people into another game mode, it means they don't want to play on the other game mode. I've seen many company try to impose "fun" on their playerbase who was ignoring specific content, by having stuff in it that forced them to play it. People did it, and did not enjoy it. That's not how game should work.

People don't want to play in open. That mean they don't want to play in open. Not saying your suggestion doesn't have merit, but if it has merit, that's with people playing open, no the one avoiding it.

You do realize that when you "lure" something or someone, it's to get it into a trap ?

If you need to "lure" people into another game mode, it means they don't want to play on the other game mode. I've seen many company try to impose "fun" on their playerbase who was ignoring specific content, by having stuff in it that forced them to play it. People did it, and did not enjoy it. That's not how game should work.

People don't want to play in open. That mean they don't want to play in open. Not saying your suggestion doesn't have merit, but if it has merit, that's with people playing open, no the one avoiding it.
People champion 'Open' because of the possibilities it could have offered. If this game had been Open only, it def could have been far richer, given time. The crumbs of narrative and poor AI interactions have, let's face it, hardly been engrossing. You can't substitute what real human interaction, given the tools, could have injected into this game..

anyone-hungry-this-could-be-a-while-popcorn-meme_559956_1.jpg

The entire ‘Dangerous’ concept of Elite Dangerous is a projected one. Frontier Developments did not set out to establish the current environment in which the game now exists, that was totally player driven, or rather exploited.

FD set out on day 1 to provide a single player version of the game as well as a multiplayer version, born out of discussions during the backers period, some even wanted a totally off-line version.

What we have works as intended, and FD actually enabled a great concept because the play style is not dictated, which means the game gives player’s greater freedom. To project the myth that Elite Dangerous is ‘no rules’ and ‘anything goes’ is a naive one, because FDs early concept for the game had more of chivalrous nature to it, which simply was skirted over by many simply due to poor implementation and FD not really understanding player driven behaviour, so players exploited it, and that’s OK.

Elite Dangerous is Open, Private and Solo. That’s how it was designed from day 1.

If people like PVP then it’s Open, if they prefer co-op it’s Private and P-E it’s Solo, or like some it’s all 3.

Some people just don’t want to play with others - for whatever reason and ED caters to that which is it’s charm.

Open isn’t really that perilous, it depends on how you play, if you aren’t aware of the grief hot-spots then your going to get grief, and visa-versa, but go out a few LY and the galaxy is more or less empty. I play Open mostly, and have maybe got griefed 3 times in 6 year’s, didn’t put up a fight, just moved on because it didn’t concern me, other occasions I’ve white-knighted and actively baited and won against griefers, but mostly I don’t see anyone, because I don’t go looking for them, and that suits me fine.

Last edited:
People champion 'Open' because of the possibilities it could have offered. If this game had been Open only, it def could have been far richer, given time. The crumbs of narrative and poor AI interactions have, let's face it, hardly been engrossing. You can't substitute what real human interaction, given the tools, could have injected into this game..
And I wouldn't have played it, alongside many others.

The fact you like something doesn't mean everyone else does.

What special effect should I add to the clean drives on a T6 so it could outrun a Viper?

Engineering doesn't level the playing field. You can engineer pirate ships too.

It was just an idea to make some people comfortable enough to play in open. It wasn't a suggestion for how to get rid of solo. If it were my game, I'd get rid of open and anything to do with multicrew or forced groups.

Well, I could see this as another way to grief. If I were a griefer I could:

A) Blow you up in a CZ while you were in an armed ship.

B) Run to the station and strip all my weapons off.

C) Come back to taunt you like the French dude in Holy Grail.

or:

Get in a shieldless, unarmed Sidewinder and run into people while they were docking. Ending ED careers left and right.

Imo, there should be stiffer penalties for killing lower ranked CMDRs, but the "reset data" button is way too harsh.

What special effect should I add to the clean drives on a T6 so it could outrun a Viper?
First of all: Why on Earth do you use clean drives?
Second: You do not need to outrun the Viper as it can’t mass lock you.
Third: Even if it could mass lock you you can still high wake.
All you need is a non paper build that can survive long enough to high wake.

It was just an idea to make some people comfortable enough to play in open.
By defeating the attraction of open (and for some, the game itself) to an entirely different set of people.

I'd get rid of open and anything to do with multicrew or forced groups.
Then lucky for everyone that likes playing in open that it is not your game. Why you mind people playing in open I cannot even begin to guess. If you play in solo they do nothing to you and might as well not exist apart from their bgs influence ... which would be there if they played in solo too.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom