Do Fdev understand the value (both in game and real world) of 'Player Housing' i.e. Ship Interiors?

Almost every fantasy MMO has player housing these days.

People want a 'Home' in game, some where they can call theirs. They pay serious real world money for interesting houses, upgrades and decorations. Why? because they want to feel like they belong in the world.

This increases people attachment to the game, as they feel at home and means they will buy things.

Why oh why do Fdev not see this?

It would not have to have game play effects, they could still have their glowing blue immersion breaking teleporter, the could have the game effect where you did not want to take a large ship if you wanted to get in quick, as the run would be a long one. They could have both, and give you the option to use the teleporter, or to run in to your ship.

Arx upgrade packs for decoration and layout, it some individual items that could be placed personally. Invite your friends round for a drink in the 'crew' lounge on your Anaconda, before going multi-crew in to a conflict zone.

Our ship (or ships) are our homes in space, and people want to feel that way.

Also, that gives models to base wrecks off, so you could fly up to a wrecked anaconda to search the interior (and how cool would it be to go inside Jameson's Cobra?)

Look at the outside world Fdev, see what is going on, and the serious amount of real world money people are paying for it. Get a couple of devs for it and it could pay for it's self with bells on.

Sorry OP, My opinion is Ship Interiors will be a complete waste of the Dev team's time...................It'll all be just eye candy with ZERO contribution to the actual gameplay.

I will put on record now, that if FDev does introduce Ship Interior's to ED/EDO, I will not spend one second doing it......it'll be pointless............did you see the Stream from SC where a streamer was filling an empty mug at a Coffee Machine?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

and whilst you are looking at your screenshot turned photo hanging on your wall, next to your trophy cabinet, your ship gets attacked.....blah blag, boring stuff, boring stuff, blah blah... oh hang on.. I'm not Frontier.. I mean, half of the reasons not to have them are already solved without having to do much of anything.

"Ship getting attacked whilst you are sitting in your commander's cabin:
"NPC pilots can be hired as crew to operate remotely-piloted Ship-Launched Fighters, or the player's ship while the player is operating the Ship-Launched Fighter or wandering around their ship"

Having to walk through the ship each time.. boring...but somehow, the docking bay / elevator / concourse isn't though :p
What is boring to one, may not be boring to another, so take that on board. But you could also disembark to the outside or to your interior (options work)

There's a tonne of "gameplay" ideas that could be used here too, doesn't necessarily need any, really.

+100000000000000000000000000000000000 for my pride and joy space-ship, to get an interior.

The first time you’re stuck in your space toilet when pirates attack your ship, you will curse the existence of ship interiors.
Or if you're in the Storage Section admiring the Storage Containers & you're interdicted....................................by the time you run back along you're Corvette to it's Cockpit, you hear "Eject, Eject, Eject..." :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Good angle of attack at starting a new thread on this dead old horse, but then you went and spoiled it by putting the real reason after brackets in your title.

I give this:-

6/10 for ingenuity
2/10 for content
0/10 for Bazmeson scale
7/10 for optimism

Overall grade - C--, with "mustn't shoot yourself in the foot" as an opener.
Don't let this discourage you though OP, nobody else does ;)

Sorry OP, My opinion is Ship Interiors will be a complete waste of the Dev team's time...................It'll all be just eye candy with ZERO contribution to the actual gameplay.

I will put on record now, that if FDev does introduce Ship Interior's to ED/EDO, I will not spend one second doing it......it'll be pointless............did you see the Stream from SC where a streamer was filling an empty mug at a Coffee Machine?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
so you didn't actually read the OP, but still replying… why :-(

Oh for the love of....

This! This is why we can't have nice things like ship interiors!

Now don't get me wrong, op. I want ship interiors. I've been known to enjoy a bit of pure cosmetics and roleplay.

That totally sounded different in my head, but I'm moving forward anyway. To hell with backspace! The problem with the op is that it stumbles right into that yawning divide between two very loud types of gamers.

On one side you've got gamers who enjoy roleplaying or light escapism, who want to be so fully immersed in a game world that they want to make their own. On the other side are your math and statitics folks, who want nothing less than to go skill on skill into whatever passes for a quantifiable gameplay loop that requires study, practice and patience.

Most of us fall somewhere in the middle, but it always seems like these two extremes have the loudest voices. And that's okay. The rest of us generally find one or the other side appealing and respond according to our level of passion.

But one side trying to shout the other side down ad nauseum is going to do nothing but make a lot of white noise. And that's a shame, because ship interiors could offer so much more than player housing. Dare I say it, there's enough collateral benefit to other gameplay loops that literally everyone could benefit. All you have to do is put what you really want aside for a moment and think outside that box.

Here, I'll get you started: An explorer finds a parked ship way out in the Coal Sack sector, no fuel and a hold full of Guardian Relics. You could loot the relics before the Thargoids show up - and they will - or just loot suit salvage and leave.

Now that's off the top of my head, but the point is that salvagers and/or explorers who might not care for a player home could potentially have a whole new experience because ship interiors are a thing.

And appealing to more than one subset of gamers is going to appeal to the bean counters in FDev a lot more than an appeal for player housing.

So for the sake of all those space toilets waiting to be installed, can we try and find reasons for as many people as possible to get behind this idea?

Because player housing alone isn't going to get that done.

Surely this is only the case if they decide it is?

I'm sure we could brainstorm some interesting gameplay additions that focussed on different parts of your ship.

I mean, look at the concourse, right? It exists to provide what exactly?.. a protracted mission giving system, an alternative mission board entirely, and some other abstracted merchants/stores/services that would otherwise have appeared on the main 'contacts' sub-menu of station services. We could have just had all of this provided the usual way, and kept legs to settlements, but instead they 'wasted' time crafting interiors. The missed opportunity here may well be that unlike station interiors, gameplay in a ship interior can directly effect the players ship, their cargo, their passengers, or themselves.

Last edited:
Surely this is only the case if they decide it is?

I'm sure we could brainstorm some interesting gameplay additions that focussed on different parts of your ship.

I mean, look at the concourse, right? It exists to provide what exactly... a protracted mission giving system, an alternative mission board entirely, and some other abstracted merchants/stores/services that would otherwise have appeared on the main 'contacts' sub-menu of station services. We could have just had all of this provided the usual way, and kept legs to settlements, but instead they 'wasted' time crafting interiors. The missed opportunity here may well be that unlike station interiors, gameplay in a ship interior can directly effect the players ship, their cargo, their passengers, or themselves.
Yes!! This, a thousand times THIS!! What's that hangar there for, if not for the Elite equivalent of storm troopers to clomp around in my Millenium Falcon tribute to find those, um, imperial slaves?

Okay the analogy falls apart there at the end, kinda. But an otherwise empty hangar would be a perfect place for missions and encounters incorporating your ship's interior.

More of this, please!

cockpit is fine.
I sit at my desk at home and at work

ALL I would really like and appreciate immensely is the ability to change the color/brightness of the interior.
why paint the outside and not the inside? Cars and trucks match?
paint, curtains, seat covers, blankets, sleeping bags, garbage bags, empty crates or boxes, ANYTHING!!!!!. JUST COVER up the BRIGHT!

My ships have very pretty paint on the outside. Inside bites.
its ok mostly
but CUTTER and CLIPPER, garbage. Bad design TBH. you can rarely ever read anything on either side panels.
at LEAST make them a darker color, or take a feather from the courier, make lots of blue...dark, medium blue...

if this were real life, I would board every cutter I own with a paint crew very first thing. JUST TO REPLACE the BLINDING WHITE.
for me this is the only flaw of the Cutter. and sadly it actually makes me not want to fly it.....yet I own 10..

I use a program I made that has overlays which I made just for the cutter, so that I could view the panels without getting a migraine and seeing big blue spots all day that you get when IN DARK SPACE and you get flashed by BLINDING WHITE interior.

fly in BLACK
see BLACK all day
look at panel, cant see for the next 20 minutes.
nice.

Just write your own ED-themed mod for The Sims - all the walking around and decorating you could wish for. The rest of us can actually get some flying spaceships gameplay

Just write your own ED-themed mod for The Sims - all the walking around and decorating you could wish for. The rest of us can actually get some flying spaceships gameplay
Cute. Not useful, but cute. Has it ever occurred to you that ship interiors could actually expand your flying spaceships gameplay?

Forget about player homes. Having to come to a stop in normal space to extinguish the cargo bay fire started by that pirate's engineered railgun before your afmu can come online would be a pretty good start at flying spaceship gameplay, wouldn't you say?

1 minute to walk around a ship or see more than a sim will let you versus a several months worth of programming MINIUM. What we have now was the take on SC and FD still did a far better job and isn't in EA. I guess you could say EDho is a finished title and hotfixes are just to polish up the mistakes Dev's have made "coming from a coder, it's not that easy".
As far as teleporters and new cool stuff like you would see in Star Trek. Give Dev's a break, the Hyperdrive cinematic is your loading screen so the game is seamless or seems seamless, doesn't that seem to be nice?
I built a super machine worth $4,200 but I'm on the small guys side. Lets not get out of control for the smaller machines out there. We are lucky that Dev's could pull off space walking and are still working on the optimization for smaller machines. So as the post I'm quoting is a perfect way of saying let the Dev's do what is important.

Cute. Not useful, but cute. Has it ever occurred to you that ship interiors could actually expand your flying spaceships gameplay?

Forget about player homes. Having to come to a stop in normal space to extinguish the cargo bay fire started by that pirate's engineered railgun before your afmu can come online would be a pretty good start at flying spaceship gameplay, wouldn't you say?
Nope, not really. It's just running down corridors and playing a minigame.

Top Bottom