Are legs advocates happy with what they got?

Just curious. :) Personally, I've always advocated that E: D should be about spaceships, but here we are.

I get that the launch is a mess, but apart from that, are you leg commanders happy? Has it been worth the wait and effort?
It should've never been a core new feature requiring 3 years of development.
I just wanted to walk around inside my ships, in the stations and get off my srv to walk on planets surface.
FPS mechanics are nothing special and mediocre compared to other FPS games. Stealth gameplay is meh... you can't even narcotize the NPC to make them fall asleep. You can only kill them and you can't hide the bodies.
Missions are simply bolt on the current game, there's a physical barrier between the FPS and the ships missions gameplay. This kills it for me.
FDEV should've spent these years to improve ships/srv gameplay and expand the galaxy with more atmospheric planets and gas giants.

Being an absolute layman in games development... I'd have thought that ED ship interiors would be like the social space in stations etc. Not actually, physically 'part' of the ship, rather a separate instance with transition points to cockpit & outside. Put some gameplay associated with it and we have 'more content', but it might require a little more imagination to be engaging. (then work around the issues presented if it is an optional asset rather than part of the base game)
That's part of what I was saying. Elite just isn't designed from its core to allow this seamless space anyway. But mostly, I was talking about what we actually do in the ship. If you watch any "ship reviews" on Youtube for that other game, you'll see what I mean. I'm not saying that is necessarily "better", just talking about the practicalities of making interiors work for Fdev and still have meaningful game play.

I actually think the game has painted itself into a box with this. And whenever I suggested "ship boarding", which is necessary for "ship interior content" because combat is a third of the game's content, I got shot down by people complaining it would be horrible for PVP 🤷‍♂️

Ship interiors for "that other game" isn't controversial. It is just part of the game. Elite would need to have some seriously massive changes to be the same.

I just wanted to walk around inside my ships, in the stations and get off my srv to walk on planets surface.
FPS mechanics are nothing special and mediocre compared to other FPS games. Stealth gameplay is meh... you can't even narcotize the NPC to make them fall asleep. You can only kill them and you can't hide the bodies.
Missions are simply bolt on the current game, there's a physical barrier between the FPS and the ships missions gameplay. This kills it for me.
FDEV should've spent these years to improve ships/srv gameplay and expand the galaxy with more atmospheric planets and gas giants.
Well, it has to be said that combat has always been a big part of ED (which actually has always been partially an FPS, just on ship), so it makes all sense in the world that they developed that for the on foot part too (even if the execution can be iffy).

Last edited:
Have you ever played any previous Elite games, they have always had combat as a core component to the game. I don't see why Odyssey would be any different. Thankfully it's not all you can do with Odyssey on foot sections.

I have rarely used my guns and haven't done a CZ, but have done many on foot missions.

People are saying they wanted an RPG lite game, well that is precisely what we have got.

So, I wrote something in the past, to the effect that the obvious "simple" first step in adding Elite feet, would be to add a biped "SRV", and let us run around on the planet surfaces that SRVs already drive on, as well as enter ground locations there, so I can't say I'm against "planet legs" being what we have for now - I like them, and in ways I got more than I "asked" for.

What I am less happy with, is the manner in which gravity isn't handled, and the inflexibility of the character animation/physics/IK system -- it's extremely disappointing to me, how every planet is effectively 1g as long as you do not jump, and how wooden people are. If things are to remain this rigid for EVA, that is setting the stage for a follow-up disappointment. We've got magnet boots in orbital outposts, but a magnet boot gait in 0g is NOT the same thing as actually being accelerated into the floor - we should wave around like kelp. :p
I realise I'm in a tiny minority on this issue, but there you go...

Not a fan of the focus on shooting either, but Elite has always been that, and I could never begrudge those who do like that sort of thing what they want. Just wish it could be a little less inevitable in places -- it's like Skyrim's 1/infinity citizen to bandit population ratio... :p

Then there is the gameplay segregation... I actually think the leggy part extends and mirrors the shippy part pretty damn well, but there is a separation, that feels jarring and contrived in many areas, and it seems to me that these stumble-blocks and inconsistencies are entirely down to the unfortunate need to make the game work both for Horizons and Odyssey players in a shared galaxy, whilst denying the former access to what the latter are entitled to. We'll see whether they have managed to come up with a somewhat satisfying solution that lessens these concerns, come the great "merging" in autumn... :7

I'm definitely a leg dude and yeah I'm STILL chomping at the bit to play.

The concourses are gorgeous, people disparage them with the phrase "pretty menus" but forget to account for just HOW pretty.

The combat portion is, and I'm not exaggerating at all here, 11/10 in my book. It's literally better than I even hoped for and I can prove that as I was on a bit of a crusade for months before launch about specifically that.

It didnt go for exactly what I was expecting naturally, in fact it did better!

It's certainly not perfect. I would definitely like a lot more interpersonal interaction in out posts and bases and concourses, more life to the Galaxy basically.

Have you ever played any previous Elite games, they have always had combat as a core component to the game. I don't see why Odyssey would be any different. Thankfully it's not all you can do with Odyssey on foot sections.

I have rarely used my guns and haven't done a CZ, but have done many on foot missions.

People are saying they wanted an RPG lite game, well that is precisely what we have got.
Yes, I played Frontier: Elite II back in the 90's
So when I bought ED my expectations were more towards atmospheric planets rather than FPS.
I'm not saying FPS is bad, but if it requires 3 years of development maybe there are more important things to look at first.

I have rarely used my guns and haven't done a CZ
If the urge takes you, and you'd like someone watching your back, I'd be glad to volunteer - a FR would be welcome.
Are atmospheric planets advocates happy with what they got?
Well, I was never an 'advocate' for anything (why be bothered hankering for something that the developers have either failed to mention, or have specified 'not yet'?) but what we have been given to date is what I expected by the marketing material.

Is that what you meant, or something entirely less innocent?

Nope. I wasn't all that interested in ground combat, and especially the way it was implemented with weapon swapping like we have in ships.

I wanted Odyssey to be a more immersive experience, focused more on exploring on foot and walking around stations and eventually our ships. What we got instead was an FPS-killing, UI-destroying disappointment. IMO.

The potential is still there but I haven't logged in to play since the day after the Odyssey launch. I'm not a fan of the gameplay or the computer-melting performance.

I'm not saying FPS is bad, but if it requires 3 years of development maybe there are more important things to look at first.
So, essentially, the assets and coding that has taken 3 years to bring to us (albeit very buggy on release!) which has brought some very good, much needed, new content to the game, is unimportant? OK...

I have been enjoying it very much. I have played Elite since it was invented. I have close to 5000 hours in the game. I love to fly, piloting is my thing. I have always enjoyed FPS's but, was never really a huge fan. This is awesome. I can continue the journey I have begun, and now add footfalls and more locations to explore. Currently enjoying the grind for engineer invites, Working on Financial Projections

Well, I was never an 'advocate' for anything (why be bothered hankering for something that the developers have either failed to mention, or have specified 'not yet'?) but what we have been given to date is what I expected by the marketing material.

Is that what you meant, or something entirely less innocent?
No that's not what I meant at all.

I thought OP's question was "something entirely less innocent" so I wanted to know his answer from the other perspective. Turning Odyssey's current state into another legs vs. atmospheres debate felt a bit pointless.

FPS was much needed? Are you sure?
Of course I am.... Why else would I say it? Combat is at least 1/3rd of ED, if one doesn't shun it in preference to shooting flowers, or hauling Biowaste 🤷‍♂️

Of course, there are other opinions available, which may even agree with your own, but if you have not played the FPS part because someone told you it was pants...

Incidentally, it isn't all FPS pew-pew... But prejudices run deep here!

rootsrat

Volunteer Moderator
Just curious. :) Personally, I've always advocated that E: D should be about spaceships, but here we are.

I get that the launch is a mess, but apart from that, are you leg commanders happy? Has it been worth the wait and effort?

I love the core FPP/FPS gameplay. Sure, it could use some improvements, but I do enjoy it greatly regardless. (Apart from the fact that we can't swap mods/attachments, this is just silly).

Exobiology is a disappointment for me.

The combat portion is, and I'm not exaggerating at all here, 11/10 in my book.

iu

Top Bottom