Some performance tweaks/fixes

I can put the ini file in a zip if it's easier for everyone ?
We can't put ini files in attachment :rolleyes:
People should be able to save a .txt file and then rename it, your step-by-step instructions are clear enough.

As for the performance, the FPS remains a lot more stable in concourses and settlements. It's still nothing to write home about on my hardware, but a definitive improvement. Thanks!

I can put the ini file in a zip if it's easier for everyone ?
We can't put ini files in attachment :rolleyes:i
No need to. It was easy enough to convert it as mentioned before. I am not quite sure why I had to do it differently for it to save as ini but was just giving a heads up in case anyone else ran into problems.

No need to. It was easy enough to convert it as mentioned before. I am not quite sure why I had to do it differently for it to save as ini but was just giving a heads up in case anyone else ran into problems.
You don't need to save it as an .ini directly, just follow the two listed steps in the original post.

But its just not okay to insult (or call them what ever is trending here on the forums) people who make a living out of creating games.. They have to families feed but just because their mistakes are more visible (to the general public) then ours does not make them worse then us.

i am curious who is without any mistakes here on the boards and get a monthly pay. Just calm down when dealing with peoples life and incomes. bleh i don't want to be rude

quote me when ever needed.. i am never to proud to apologize. the only thing i need is an income to provide my family with food and security and i even apologize for that, and my bad spelling as well :)

edit schmedit

Need to be able to +1 (Thumbs down)

Thanks OP for your efforts.

If you have not kept up with the developments from alpha until now I don't expect you to understand. Its not really worth argueing about maybe we are still playing the trunk build from alpha and the switch will be flipped some day. I doubt it. I don't expect you to agree with me or even understand why so many people feel lied to ( and no, I am not speaking for the whole of the playerbase but it is clear on these forums that many feel as though they were lied to) that is not the point of this thread. The point of this thread is to get the game working as best as possible for as many people as possible, and I will not detract from it any further.

We're still definitely on the trunk build and agree threads like these should be promoted to the top of the forums, to aid the FDEVs in their efforts and I do think they're sitting there scratching their heads sometimes.

People have complained repeatable about the FPS dropping when looking through a window - so adding an option to remove reflections etc on Windows should have been a simple fix for FDev ( even if it was just an option in a settings file).
Instead they do nothing and wait for all the other ( mostly trivial bugs ) to be fixed before looking seriously at graphics - meanwhile a large number of players just give up on Odyssey or continue to play despite the risk of damaging their GPU's with 100% usage caused by bad code.

Is Frontier Ok with this ?
3Dmigoto is used by a lot of mods, including some Elite mods like EDHM from GeorjCostanza and the "Amazingly Realistic Immersion Mod" from Old Duck

From what i saw in EDHM's post, Cmdr Exigeous asked FDEV about EDHM usage (which uses 3Dmigoto) and the response was :
"FDev are fine with the mod so long as it doesn't provide an advantage over other players, or mod their ARX-related assets"

As i'm only disabling the helmet shader/windows reflection shaders/screenglare, I think it does not provide any advantage to players.

Um, is anyone else getting a big chuckle out of this? I mean, the thought of devs being concerned about players getting advantages over one another AFTER INVENTING ENGINEERS

Someone threw beef about the idea that modifying the game to enhance brightness levels would give some players an unfair advantage, as they'd be able to see other players hiding in the shadows a bit better. I think it was Morbad after someone requested a mod to remove shadows. Kinda silly considering what ED is, where by luck you can buy a weapon from the store that's 2x more powerful than what dude in the shadows is holding. Fairness in combat should've been considered earlier during design, not post imbalance.

If they want to show concern, they should start by removing upgrades and flattening engineering effects before worrying about graphics mods.

Last edited:
People have complained repeatable about the FPS dropping when looking through a window - so adding an option to remove reflections etc on Windows should have been a simple fix for FDev ( even if it was just an option in a settings file).
Instead they do nothing and wait for all the other ( mostly trivial bugs ) to be fixed before looking seriously at graphics - meanwhile a large number of players just give up on Odyssey or continue to play despite the risk of damaging their GPU's with 100% usage caused by bad code.
We know that this is glass because of the reflection on it, glass without reflections is just an empty space. It would look even wierder than dropping FPS. I would rather wait for the FDevs to fix it.

Um, is anyone else getting a big chuckle out of this? I mean, the thought of devs being concerned about players getting advantages over one another AFTER INVENTING ENGINEERS

Someone threw beef about the idea that modifying the game to enhance brightness levels would give some players an unfair advantage, as they'd be able to see other players hiding in the shadows a bit better. I think it was Morbad after someone requested a mod to remove shadows. Kinda silly considering what ED is, where by luck you can buy a weapon from the store that's 2x more powerful than what dude in the shadows is holding. Fairness in combat should've been considered earlier during design, not post imbalance.

If they want to show concern, they should start by removing upgrades and flattening engineering effects before worrying about graphics mods.
The only change willing to make is the one I made in the direct XML of the game, that is to say that when it is updated it will disappear, if I require it I will put it again, what did I do? remove the shadows, now they are generated in a square around me, I also saw that in the space bases, all those that you can land and go down to the hangar, no longer have that shadow through walls, I have gained a lot of performance by removing them, sometimes they continue to generate because yes, but in a normal way, before there were shadows where you could not see, shadows that crossed the platforms and walls of the hangar giving light where it should not exist ect, when removing them the error goes away and I win FPS

It's mind boggling that the community have found better performance fixed faster than the developers who made the game. We have continually identified some of the more egregious issues (such as the Rendering of a Frame thread and this thread) and yet FDev still hasn't even acknowledged it.
Let's just hope enough of the community sticks around long enough that there will be something for others to come back to once ( and if ) this is all over.

This is some seriously broken logic, tantamount to saying "FD put Engineers in the game, so I should be able to use Cheat Engine."

Hi,
Thanks to PsychicEgg , i've made a new version (v0.2rc) which :
  • ignores a few objects ( ring around station exit, blue liquids in glasses, liquids in containers behind the bar).
  • renamed the settings at the beginning of the file, with hopefully better names
  • added some credits
If it doesn't have problems, i'll remove v0.1.

This is some seriously broken logic, tantamount to saying "FD put Engineers in the game, so I should be able to use Cheat Engine."
Someone without engineered stuff playing against someone with fully engineered stuff experiences the exact same gameplay as someone with engineers playing against a cheater. The method of acquiring the power is different, but the end result is the same. If you think I'm advocating cheats through the removal of shadows (and other shaders) because engineers exist, then I'd say your misunderstanding of logic is too apparent to warrant demonstration.

Ofc not. Engineers are a game progression mechanic. Not a cheat.
Are you concerned about the fact that FDL exists in the game while people start in sidewinders?

Someone without engineered stuff playing against someone with fully engineered stuff experiences the exact same gameplay as someone with engineers playing against a cheater. The method of acquiring the power is different, but the end result is the same. If you think I'm advocating cheats through the removal of shadows (and other shaders) because engineers exist, then I'd say your misunderstanding of logic is too apparent to warrant demonstration.

See above

lol :ROFLMAO: progression into what exactly?(Hint: I may have mentioned it already)

Well, you should be better playing CS then.
Because in a Career/MMO game - your character is expected to progress.

You didn't answered the question: do you feel the FDL is a cheat compared to a Sidewinder?
Because based on your logic:
Someone in a Sidewinder playing against someone with a Fer-de-Lance experiences the exact same gameplay as someone with a Fer-de-Lance playing against a cheater. The method of acquiring the power is different, but the end result is the same

Last edited:
The logic applies with the FDL as well, but applying it between a sidewinder and FDL is not fully appropriate for two reasons. First, starter configurations, even in balanced mmo games, don't always fit the realm of balance you expect later. You ideally start the player at some basic introductory level until they are ready to take off the training wheels. Second, the difference between those two ships, without engineering, is nowhere near as dramatic as what engineering provides.

There are plenty of ways to progress a player other than improving their stats in every corner. Just as a perfect example, an Anaconda will fly nowhere near as fast as an FDL and may even lose a battle against one with all engineering included, but the Anaconda will be significantly more capable of performing higher end PvE missions. That dynamic alone provides appropriate progression, not all stats +++.

If you feel like getting the final word in, that is fine, but I will not continue any more off topic ideas in here. The point was simply that removing shadows and reflections should not be considered cheating, that suggesting so would be laughable because of how much damage to balance the on-foot version of upgrading already offers with respect PvP concerns. It's akin to using macro keyboards at best, well within normally acceptable tolerances.

Top Bottom