Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 5

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It's now more than one hour since the announcement and no updates via Steam yet. Any word on how much longer we'll have to wait for the patch?
Servers are still down as Scheduled Maintenance. Open your launcher to see the status. Also Arf said in Supercruise News that this update could take approx 1.5 hours but he couldn't nail down an exact time.

Be patient.

It's now more than one hour since the announcement and no updates via Steam yet. Any word on how much longer we'll have to wait for the patch?
Its big patch day so whenever thats done they hit the update button for steam and everyone can download it. Just gotta wait it out.

Sorry let me clarify :)

So say you and I are on a mission together. We're running around and we need a mission specific item for me to hand in the mission for us to complete it (for our shared mission). If YOU pick up that item (instead of me) that we need to complete the mission - when we board back on ship, the item will be shared to me so I can then hand in the mission and complete it for us. We all get the reward and you keep your loot and stuff, it's JUST the sharing of the mission specific key item needed to complete the mission that's "shared".

Gosh I do hope that makes sense :)
Saw you added the mission specific items a moment ago, ty

So say you and I are on a mission together. We're running around and we need a mission specific item for me to hand in the mission for us to complete it (for our shared mission). If YOU pick up that item (instead of me) that we need to complete the mission - when we board back on ship, the item will be shared to me so I can then hand in the mission and complete it for us. We all get the reward and you keep your loot and stuff, it's JUST the sharing of the mission specific key item needed to complete the mission that's "shared".

So it's copied to the other players, not moved? That makes a lot more sense.

Its big patch day so whenever thats done they hit the update button for steam and everyone can download it. Just gotta wait it out.
Wouldn't it make more sense to release the patch at the same time the server goes down so that we can download and install the patch while it's down, and be ready to log on when it comes back up? That's how I would do it. Sometimes the update itself can take quite a while to download and install if it's tens of gigabytes.

Servers are still down as Scheduled Maintenance. Open your launcher to see the status. Also Arf said in Supercruise News that this update could take approx 1.5 hours but he couldn't nail down an exact time.

Be patient.
OK, thanks. It would be nice if that information was in the launcher or somewhere else visible. Got it, will wait another 30 minutes.

That makes total sense, the mission item isnt shared and goes to mission owner if someone else picked it up. Random loot goes to the looter as normal?
Would make the original notes a bit confusing/misleading as its currently written maybe?
Clarification is appreciated though.

Wouldn't it make more sense to release the patch at the same time the server goes down so that we can download and install the patch while it's down, and be ready to log on when it comes back up? That's how I would do it. Sometimes the update itself can take quite a while to download and install if it's tens of gigabytes.
Would require having a separate patch only server on top of all the others

I understand now, thank you for your explanation.

Gosh, I would like to share a mission or two with you!
To be serious, what happens if your ship storage is already full at 100% at the moment I board my ship? Game crash?

Would require having a separate patch only server on top of all the others
Surely patches are distributed via a CDN anyway - it would be silly to do otherwise. They wouldn't actually be coming from a centralised server; any such server would exist only for authentication and permission purposes. If I had designed the system, that server would be separate from the others. These days having 'separate' virtual servers costs virtually nothing.

Anyway, no point in complaining if they have done it otherwise but I still think that would be the logical approach.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom