Besides Star Citizens, What is a great alternative for Elite Dangerous?

For me, a combination of NMS (planetary exploration & variety of things to do) and X4 (spaceship stuff and background simulation) scratch the same itches that E: D did.

I would like the One Game, but it doesn't appear feasible... or if it is, nobody has done it to my knowledge.

• Like (+1)
Reactions: EUS
X4, Space Engineers, Space Engine (if you miss the stellar forge), Rebel Galaxy, and Subnautica are my ED replacements. Though none of them do VR like ED does.

Right now X4 is where I'm spending most of my time.

View attachment 242407

Now if you want full ship interiors and exploration, Space Engineers might be right up your ally, especially with the Explorer's Mod.
I just got this awhile ago still working out my key binds I disappointed with rebirth I hope this is better or at least more like x3

I just got this awhile ago still working out my key binds I disappointed with rebirth I hope this is better or at least more like x3
People say it is. I'm very new to the X Universe. I think I will personally like Rebirth because I've not been "spoiled" by the previous X games, and I actually like flying ships, even if it's just one ship. Rebirth VR is back on my wishlist, and in the past I've seen it on sale for pretty cheap, so I'll grab it just for the VR experience alone during the Summer Steam Sale.

Something that has made X more enjoyable for me is the lore, which I've mostly learned by reading Farnham's Legend. That book has really helped me understand the game world, and I find it a pretty interesting world to be a part of! IIRC Rebirth has a compelling story that goes with it, another reason I'm interested in giving it a go.

People say it is. I'm very new to the X Universe. I think I will personally like Rebirth because I've not been "spoiled" by the previous X games, and I actually like flying ships, even if it's just one ship. Rebirth VR is back on my wishlist, and in the past I've seen it on sale for pretty cheap, so I'll grab it just for the VR experience alone during the Summer Steam Sale.

Something that has made X more enjoyable for me is the lore, which I've mostly learned by reading Farnham's Legend. That book has really helped me understand the game world, and I find it a pretty interesting world to be a part of! IIRC Rebirth has a compelling story that goes with it, another reason I'm interested in giving it a go.
I came to elite from years and years of x3 mods are great, I almost stopped playing elite as there is no need to have more than one ship in the x games you need hundreds lol. I do how ever like flying in elite much better I gave up vr for triple 60 inch tvs and headtracking last year I only use vr for my racing games now

I came to elite from years and years of x3 mods are great, I almost stopped playing elite as there is no need to have more than one ship in the x games you need hundreds lol. I do how ever like flying in elite much better I gave up vr for triple 60 inch tvs and headtracking last year I only use vr for my racing games now
You should like X4 then, because it's much closer to Elite when it comes to flying. It's not the same, and I think ED probably is still the best "flight simulator" when it comes to small ship vs small ship (small ships in X4 feel a bit too arcade like, though the lore supports this). Still, X4 on a big screen is pretty breathtaking IMO, and personally I'm totally okay that it doesn't support VR.

No Man's Sky. That is your ONLY options.
It's on sale again!

I'm back and forth regarding if I should buy it for PC or not. I own it on PS4, but PC would obviously be better, especially with some mods. First thing I'd do is mod it for a more realistic look and feel (black space, desaturated color palette, removal of "everywhere" asteroids and space ships, etc).

It's on sale again!

I'm back and forth regarding if I should buy it for PC or not. I own it on PS4, but PC would obviously be better, especially with some mods. First thing I'd do is mod it for a more realistic look and feel (black space, desaturated color palette, removal of "everywhere" asteroids and space ships, etc).
What turned me completely off in NMS is that you are only flying small fighters in the size of an X-Wing and it's very simple. Personally I think the only comparing titles on the market are X4 and Star Citizen and maybe some Evochron Legacy.

It's on sale again!

The hell?

Old Duck actually agreeing with me?

Heresy...Blasphemy even!

What turned me completely off in NMS is that you are only flying small fighters in the size of an X-Wing and it's very simple. Personally I think the only comparing titles on the market are X4 and Star Citizen and maybe some Evochron Legacy.

I really wish there was something in between the fighters & the freighters (which are really just too big, and you can't do anything to move them except summon them and jump). There's frigates, but you can't own or operate them independently of freighters.

In case nobody mentioned it, Subnautica might scratch your itch. It's not a space game, but I can tell you as a real-life submariner, a submarine is the next closest thing to a spaceship ;)

Subnautica is magical, the kind of game I wish I could wipe my memory of so I could enjoy it again properly.

I would love a game that gives me a proper Space Cyclops (and Seamoth/Prawn friends) and a reason to trundle it around having adventures.

If single player exploration (large exploration), a little pew, pew, survival and story/lore is your thing, then it would be Empyrion.

At first Empyrion can give a 'not now' sort of feel. But, I backed Empyrion like many other space games from the start. At first I wasn't to pleased with it, but I thought I'll keep popping back. I'm glad I did, it's fast becoming my go-to space game.

Building isn't as good as Space Engineers because 'no moving parts' really. But the building has enough to get you immersed in a very good way.
Plus once you've built you end up with a whole game, whereas with SE it lacks the story and npc's. But I do still think SE is the better game physics and build wise. However after tweaking you can get Empyrion ships to act their weight, which is a must for me.

The exploration is really great, I corkscrew around planets within atmosphere, starting at north pole and working down ( a little under 'west' 265 iirc, Emp players may get that) surveying every inch, it's a delight to set your ship to the right altitude and circle the globe, just keep hitting that scan button.

I would recommend Empyrion as a direct alternative to ED.

Edit: Survival... I know many players may think 'I can't be bothered starting from a drop pod'.
I don't do that..
I build and then put the ship I've built out into survival, that way you get the sci-fi ship you want that you have built, in a game that gives you all the above..

E Exploration
M Massive (huge universe)
P Player Driven
Y Yarn ( & a good one)
R Role play
I Immersive
O Out of this world (beautiful)
N Not for the faint hearted
(o.k., its all I could come up with at the time) ;)

Last edited:
If single player exploration (large exploration), a little pew, pew, survival and story/lore is your thing, then it would be Empyrion.

At first Empyrion can give a 'not now' sort of feel. But, I backed Empyrion like many other space games from the start. At first I wasn't to pleased with it, but I thought I'll keep popping back. I'm glad I did, it's fast becoming my go-to space game.

Building isn't as good as Space Engineers because 'no moving parts' really. But the building has enough to get you immersed in a very good way.
Plus once you've built you end up with a whole game, whereas with SE it lacks the story and npc's. But I do still think SE is the better game physics and build wise. However after tweaking you can get Empyrion ships to act their weight, which is a must for me.

The exploration is really great, I corkscrew around planets within atmosphere, starting at north pole and working down ( a little under 'west' 265 iirc, Emp players may get that) surveying every inch, it's a delight to set your ship to the right altitude and circle the globe, just keep hitting that scan button.

I would recommend Empyrion as a direct alternative to ED.

Edit: Survival... I know many players may think 'I can't be bothered starting from a drop pod'.
I don't do that..
I build and then put the ship I've built out into survival, that way you get the sci-fi ship you want that you have built, in a game that gives you all the above..

E Exploration
M Massive (huge universe)
P Player Driven
Y Yarn ( & a good one)
R Role play
I Immersive
O Out of this world (beautiful)
N Not for the faint hearted
(o.k., its all I could come up with at the time) ;)
I tried Empyrion and very much liked it. Unfortunatly i have a crippling fear of Spiders.

For me it was the whole base-building thing that you have to do if you actually want to get anywhere. Bored the heck out of me.

I bought the game on sale so the £/hours ratio was fine so I don't regret buying it!

I second NMS. It is NOT a replacement for ED as the two are very different, but it is the only space game (emphasis on "game") that is currently going gangbusters because it is a pleasure to play.

Captain's Steve's fan-made sale trailer: :giggle:

Top Bottom