News Important Mac announcement

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
It's not just windows the M1 hit intel between the eye's, and rosetta 2 on M1 runs 60% of windows software as fast or faster than windows.

Well indeed, but like Frontier, some like to pretend it's a technical reason. Of course Frontier have released a macOS version of Planet Coaster recently, so mixed messages.

Frontier didn't do the port for Planet Coaster, they outsourced it to Asphyr. Maybe they can do the same for Elite Dangerous?

Frontier didn't do the port for Planet Coaster, they outsourced it to Asphyr. Maybe they can do the same for Elite Dangerous?

Planet coaster is a single player game, it doesn't matter if Frontier makes an update then asphyr takes a month or two to port it.

The same can't be said for ED. Both versions would have to maintain parity which means either delaying the pc/console updated to give the outsourced company time to port and work with the same server. Or maintain a completely different server for MacOS only with a very limited player base that may not be able to play soon anyway (without yet another port and/or server) when apple switches its mainstream computers over to Arm based processors.

Both versions would have to maintain parity which means either delaying the pc/console updated to give the outsourced company time to port and work with the same server.
Or just treat the MacOS version like consoles, ie: officially support the platform, but delay it until whenever after the windows version.

• release windows version
  • bug fixes
  • give code to outsourcing company
  • release console version(s)
  • release MacOS version

Athough at this point if they are going to split platform releases (and ignore cross-play) of their shared live-service game, having a Windows server and "everyone else" server would mean console/Mac players wouldnt have to watch naming rights get scooped up before they even get a chance to play.

Hi - I'm actually getting a gaming PC soon and will be able to play ED again. How can I find my auth/registration code to install and play the game on Windows?

Wonder if there are still people using the obsolete Mac version.
Does it still work? Can it log in the current galaxy?

It looks like the groundwork is going in.

• Focus on PC experience
  • Release no details on console aspirations
  • Delay console deployment date to tba in the future

Any announcement wont be posted on these forums first. It'll be part of a stock market update so Frontier will be able to string it out until May 2022 before they'll have to say something.

we quotes like:
- we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on
and
- the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release

It does look like Odyssey wont be coming to last gen consoles, and any console release wont be until 2022
(They might release the ship that was provided for the Horizons pre-release incentive - the Cobra MkIV to Playstation / console / Horizon commanders as a gesture of good will and recognition of the delay but that might just be wishful thinking)

Give me a reason as a Console commander to stick with the game

Give me a reason as a Console commander to stick with the game

You enjoy it?

However, I recognise the demoralising feeling of having your platform kicked into the long grass with no prospect of development. After all the noises made at the KickStarter about multi-platform support, it seems Windows is the only realistic option.

Wasn't that caused by mac dropping support for something?
I think you're rather missing the point. NMS has increasing ambitious plans for its title, perhaps using the tools Apple do provide, while Frontier in contrast have 'we have no plans for that' as their mantra.

Last edited:
Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom