A Kickstarters thoughts on how to Fix Elite.

Before i start, this is not a troll. This isnt a dig at FDev. This is coming from a long time Elite player since 1984, a Elite D. kickstarter with over 15,000hrs play ( soley in VR ). This i my thoughts on what is wrong with Odyssey.

Im triple elite, king, admiral, 50 billing in cash, all the ships most of them engineered and a carrier thats funded for over 10yrs. When space legs were anounced it was a huge suprise however slightly concerning were the huge guns carried on their backs followed by 'no ship interiors' BUT the 'armstrong moment' kept the hopes alive. Surely for an armstrong moment you cant suddenly appear on the outside of your ship :/ To fix this you only need to do the cockpit interiors with an airlock + steps enabling the armstrong moment. Litrally getting out of your chair and making your own way out of the ship, this would be perfect. Not animated either, needs to be player controlled. This would also pave the way for ship boarding in space or on planets ect... For someone to steal a ship thats left unlocked or open. Stranded players should be able to send a distress call for someone to either pick them up or kill them :D Space legs promised from the kickstarter along with a huge list of other things that never made it into the game. What we got was not exactly what most of the community had in mind. If we wanted an FPS shooter theres already 100s out there that do it perfectly.

The galaxy. The Elite galaxy is huge. Its absolutely fantastic. With Horizons you were on the right track, the planets looked great with lots of interesting places however you failed to flesh it out. Odyssey planet tech had everyone with high hopes, maybe theyre actually going to add more diversity and actual things to find with wrecks to search and loot to be gained without the need for grind, grind grind! What Odyssey gave us was almost a blank slate. Planets are worse, barron flat and boring. Spend more time adding different planet models, even some broken, collided moons ect and add things that can be found.

The Elite status. Having a loading bar to your next rank was a little frustrating for me. The Elite ranks should be gained by skill, either PvP or PvE and it should be a suprise when you rank up OR rank down, you got this right in the original Elite. Was impossible to know when you would be ranked up, it just happened. Right on Commander!

Bountys shouldnt have any limits and accumulate according to the crime and ONLY be collectable/valid in the region the crimes were commited. This would allow real pirate play ie: An Empire aligned player could go into the Federation controlled systems and actually pirate knowing he can return to Empire space clean but wanted in the Federation. Players should also be able to place bountys on other players aswell as send cash to other players without the current hassle of dropping cargo. Tracking any CMDR should be possible via ship or station consoles without them being on your friends list, you should be given the CMDRs exact position at that time however you need to wait 5/10mins between querys. This would give some really cool game play.

Hired NPCs should be sat in the cockpit chairs and be able to fly the ship like an auto-pilot. Plot the route in the map and let the NPC fly the ship there.

The Grind. The amount of stuff needed for upgrades needs reducing drastically. Far too much time is spent collecting mats/blueprints ect. Logging out/in to do the same thing hours on end is NO FUN at all. Guns, suites and equipment should be bought with the original cash like the ship modules - what were you thinking?? This would allow players to actually play the game.

VR. Elite was the standard for VR when it arrived on the PC scene. Nothing does VR like Elite. You need to get rid of the on foot screen and add real VR. Add an option to have flat screen for those with weak VR legs but at least give us VR veterans the option to have non interupted VR support. The immersion of Elite in VR is second to none but that immersion is so broken at the moment.

CMDR Y2K signing out.

Before i start, this is not a troll. This isnt a dig at FDev. This is coming from a long time Elite player since 1984, a Elite D. kickstarter with over 15,000hrs play ( soley in VR ). This i my thoughts on what is wrong with Odyssey.

Im triple elite, king, admiral, 50 billing in cash, all the ships most of them engineered and a carrier thats funded for over 10yrs. When space legs were anounced it was a huge suprise however slightly concerning were the huge guns carried on their backs followed by 'no ship interiors' BUT the 'armstrong moment' kept the hopes alive. Surely for an armstrong moment you cant suddenly appear on the outside of your ship :/ To fix this you only need to do the cockpit interiors with an airlock + steps enabling the armstrong moment. Litrally getting out of your chair and making your own way out of the ship, this would be perfect. Not animated either, needs to be player controlled. This would also pave the way for ship boarding in space or on planets ect... For someone to steal a ship thats left unlocked or open. Stranded players should be able to send a distress call for someone to either pick them up or kill them :D Space legs promised from the kickstarter along with a huge list of other things that never made it into the game. What we got was not exactly what most of the community had in mind. If we wanted an FPS shooter theres already 100s out there that do it perfectly.

The galaxy. The Elite galaxy is huge. Its absolutely fantastic. With Horizons you were on the right track, the planets looked great with lots of interesting places however you failed to flesh it out. Odyssey planet tech had everyone with high hopes, maybe theyre actually going to add more diversity and actual things to find with wrecks to search and loot to be gained without the need for grind, grind grind! What Odyssey gave us was almost a blank slate. Planets are worse, barron flat and boring. Spend more time adding different planet models, even some broken, collided moons ect and add things that can be found.

The Elite status. Having a loading bar to your next rank was a little frustrating for me. The Elite ranks should be gained by skill, either PvP or PvE and it should be a suprise when you rank up OR rank down, you got this right in the original Elite. Was impossible to know when you would be ranked up, it just happened. Right on Commander!

Bountys shouldnt have any limits and accumulate according to the crime and ONLY be collectable/valid in the region the crimes were commited. This would allow real pirate play ie: An Empire aligned player could go into the Federation controlled systems and actually pirate knowing he can return to Empire space clean but wanted in the Federation. Players should also be able to place bountys on other players aswell as send cash to other players without the current hassle of dropping cargo. Tracking any CMDR should be possible via ship or station consoles without them being on your friends list, you should be given the CMDRs exact position at that time however you need to wait 5/10mins between querys. This would give some really cool game play.

Hired NPCs should be sat in the cockpit chairs and be able to fly the ship like an auto-pilot. Plot the route in the map and let the NPC fly the ship there.

The Grind. The amount of stuff needed for upgrades needs reducing drastically. Far too much time is spent collecting mats/blueprints ect. Logging out/in to do the same thing hours on end is NO FUN at all. Guns, suites and equipment should be bought with the original cash like the ship modules - what were you thinking?? This would allow players to actually play the game.

VR. Elite was the standard for VR when it arrived on the PC scene. Nothing does VR like Elite. You need to get rid of the on foot screen and add real VR. Add an option to have flat screen for those with weak VR legs but at least give us VR veterans the option to have non interupted VR support. The immersion of Elite in VR is second to none but that immersion is so broken at the moment.

CMDR Y2K signing out.
I like your ideas apart from having your NPC pilot for you. That bit just doesn't sound right to me.

As a console gamer im obviously not affected by performance or instability so theyre things that dont bother me atm, though obviously they should take priority.
What does bother me is ground combat, it really does to need a rework.
Players seem to be exclusively using plasma weapons because they bypass the sillyness of switching weapons mid 1v1 to kill a target.
Copying ship damage is just not going to work.
The silly class of armour and shields needs to be split in two. Armour or shields, and all the obvious pros and cons that come with that

CMDR Y2K signing out.
Lots of good points, and anyone with that amount of hours in game should at least have fdev’s ear!!

A Kickstarters thoughts on how to Fix Elite.​

well they could add small seismic charges and it would fix 99.9% of problems in the game, other than that there's only one other radical but effective idea....

CarelessMistyBudgie-size_restricted.gif

I like your ideas apart from having your NPC pilot for you. That bit just doesn't sound right to me.
Why not? Sounds right to me. Why can't my paid and ranking up pilot also do it? He can fly it in combat if I go out in my SLF. It's not without risks.
I can take a taxi and have an NPC fly for me. It also seems like an easy addition, just needs some UI to enable it. Maybe they could only do "specific things" at specific ranks too.

CMDR Y2K signing out.
I am happy to reduce number of mats but that is the carrot. I would like to see instance resetting fixed as well. E.g we have a lot of guardian sites..imo each site should unlock unique parts for each blueprint that way you can't just reset scum the same place to get enough to unlock every item BUT make sure it drops enough for 1 item . This would have been a good way to drop feed the new tech into the game. (If the site was not discovered then that weapon/ship/ gear blueprint would not exist.

Imo there is a lot of nice content in elite but because you don't need to visit them then a lot won't bother. I would like each hand crafted place in the game to have something which is key to crafting in the game. (Even if it means after a while the engineer has to spell it out and give you a mission to go get X y z component from a set system

I pretty much agree with your points however

Last edited:
Why not? Sounds right to me. Why can't my paid and ranking up pilot also do it? He can fly it in combat if I go out in my SLF. It's not without risks.
I can take a taxi and have an NPC fly for me. It also seems like an easy addition, just needs some UI to enable it. Maybe they could only do "specific things" at specific ranks too.
That's like getting an NPC to do all the shooting for you in a FPS. As I said, it juts doesn't feel right to me.

But, you can already do this in game, not that I trust the rookie working for me, with my ship in combat.
So they can do the most dangerous thing and not the most basic.
Not only can you already do it, but giving an Elite NPC control of a mothership that's designed to take advantage of the NPC's strenghs is kinda OP.

I built an Anaconda with 5 C2 plama slug railguns and 3 thermal vent beams, given control to my pilot, then watched from the fighter as it flew around obliterating everything in a high CZ or haz res faster than I'll probably ever be able to.

Giving them Apex-like capabilities would be a great addition.

But, you can already do this in game, not that I trust the rookie working for me, with my ship in combat.
So they can do the most dangerous thing and not the most basic.
I never said otherwise, but at least when you give your ship to an NPC, you are still piloting another ship. As I said, I don't like it. Its my personal opinion, and you're probably not going to change it.

Basically it can be used as quick travel and I just find that wrong.

Set your NPC up to pilot your ship to a certain place, you got to bed, next morning you're at that place. Even worse if they are allowed to fuel scoop.

Nope, I don't like it.

I personally would rather an NPC do it than an auto pilot.
I agree I am against fast travel as well to be honest however now with fleet carriers fast travel is making its way into the game imo.

At least with a pilot there would be potential failure states. Ideally I would like jobs to do on the ship such as maintanence etc . That would you could put an NPC flying your ship and you could go to bed and leave it however if you had an engine failure leaking radiation in your ship and you were not around to fix it chances are you would be dead before you arrived back.

Of course that is unlikely to be in scope for ED:O but seeing as we are pie in the sky thinking then may as well go all the way ;)

I played the original on the BBC "B" in 1984 too - although I skipped the additional offerings until ED a little over 4 years ago. Oddly, I quite enjoyed playing pre-3.3 release, and certainly very much so following that game-changing, bar-raising, update...

Fix elite? Is it broken?

Odyssey has issues aplenty, allegedly these are being worked on as I type, it should never have released in the state it did, for sure, now all I can do, like anyone else, is wait for the fixes to appear.

I don't think that playing the '84 elite, nor spending around 5,000 hours playing ED has given me any insight how to fix something ;)

Top Bottom