Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Update 6

Yeh, you really don't want to be using FSR on a 1080p display...

01pn0Ljo0KS8ll6ZsDcQAgb-35.png
Yeah, so 1080p with FSR ultra is lower resolution than ss 0.85

No, until I proved it by testing it it will always be a suspicion. Your old professor probably would have understood that concept.
My physics teacher might have, but I'm not sure my UI design professor would have cared. He'd have pointed out that a UI design where you have to experiment to be sure what it's trying to tell you is not achieving its intended purpose.

Anyway, sounds like you've properly determined what the incomprehensible icons mean, so ... thanks for that.

Same for @Wolfie67.

Do you happen to have an ancient GPU by ancy chance? FSR requires NVidia 1000 or later cards. Pretty much all AMD cards work.
I can confirm you that it does work on a 980M, but i don't think it performs well with it.

I have the impression i was better off with CAS, but i can't confirm it

Last edited:
Ok started writing this post for another thread that got closed and already posted some of what i'm writing here some post back, but that was abbreviated. Here's the full post.

Ok, so checked it out. Definitely some pluses. Reminder, i'm running on a GTX960, a pretty old card now.

Overall sharpness remains from previous patch, not seeing that softness.

Did quite a few experiments between changing the various quality levels as well as turning FSR on and off and different settings.

With FSR off, supersampling at 1.0, seems about the same as before.

FSR on at "Quality" level (what a joke), its not really quallity. Text goes a bit fuzzy (on ship, not on foot strangely enough), perfomance goes up decently... almost playable. Graphics are a bit poor.

FSR on "Ultra Quality" (LOL) actually looks almost the same as with FSR off and supersampling at 1.0. Its a bit worrying though that "ultra quality" is really "normal", but performance was generally better. Almost playable. Didn't go anywhere there were fires though, so no idea if they still kill frames.

Changing other quality settings from high down to medium made some small gains but negatively impacted quality. Average 5 FPS gain... worth it in a pinch, but not what i'm wanting from a game like Elite in 2021.

That new graphics card is becoming more tempting though.

Also, some rather bizarre framerate dips. With ultra high FSR and high settings, i got this.

Note how when standing in a certain area i'm getting 60 FPS (same if i look up at the ceiling or down at the floor). As soon as i move though out of that area it drops to like 20 in places.

Seems like there is something funky going on with rendering causing those drops and therefore still plenty of room for optimizations.

This was already an issue before today's patch for me. :/
Weird, I'm pretty sure it was working fine in Update 5 for me. I don't suppose you know of an existing issue report? I couldn't see one from a brief look before, but I'd rather add-to than create a duplicate.

Hmmmm Cannnn you rememeber what you were doing or something you had done before logging please? Were you in the store or anything like that :)?
First I bought a weapon and sold another one at a pioneer supplies and then tweaked a little bit with the graphic settings and tried to raise the FPS at a concourse and hangar of a settlement. After this I exited the game to main menu and maybe 10 to 15 seconds later to the desktop. Then I had 15 minutes long a black screen until I killed the task in the taskmanager.

I'm going to be checking out this Update 6 now and I believe the developers have done some serious work. I assume that everything mentioned in the update is actually done. All bugs in Update 6 will be posted to my YouTube channel to help developers fix bugs.

Ok started writing this post for another thread that got closed and already posted some of what i'm writing here some post back, but that was abbreviated. Here's the full post.

Ok, so checked it out. Definitely some pluses. Reminder, i'm running on a GTX960, a pretty old card now.

Overall sharpness remains from previous patch, not seeing that softness.

Did quite a few experiments between changing the various quality levels as well as turning FSR on and off and different settings.

With FSR off, supersampling at 1.0, seems about the same as before.

FSR on at "Quality" level (what a joke), its not really quallity. Text goes a bit fuzzy (on ship, not on foot strangely enough), perfomance goes up decently... almost playable. Graphics are a bit poor.

FSR on "Ultra Quality" (LOL) actually looks almost the same as with FSR off and supersampling at 1.0. Its a bit worrying though that "ultra quality" is really "normal", but performance was generally better. Almost playable. Didn't go anywhere there were fires though, so no idea if they still kill frames.

Changing other quality settings from high down to medium made some small gains but negatively impacted quality. Average 5 FPS gain... worth it in a pinch, but not what i'm wanting from a game like Elite in 2021.

That new graphics card is becoming more tempting though.

Also, some rather bizarre framerate dips. With ultra high FSR and high settings, i got this.

Note how when standing in a certain area i'm getting 60 FPS (same if i look up at the ceiling or down at the floor). As soon as i move though out of that area it drops to like 20 in places.

Seems like there is something funky going on with rendering causing those drops and therefore still plenty of room for optimizations.
FSR is designed to improve performance. "Ultra quality" just means "as close to native visually while still having some gains". It's never going to be better than native, it uses no ML or some such.

The labels are standardized by AMD btw, means the same in every game.

Top Bottom