Update 6 your thoughts?

So what are your thoughts on Update 6? what's still broken, what do love or hate. Personally after just a few minutes I can see a major improvement but time will tell..
FDev is unable to fix Odyssey's renderer. That is becoming more clear with each update. Upscaling is what you do after you run out of ideas. It's not a fix but a desperate attempt to mitigate the symptoms.

One little thing... Was the composition scanner reticle always an upside down version of the data link scanner one, or is that new? :7
New with Patch 6 ........... as you say regarding the scaler X1.0 is native ....... FDev are suggesting that for best quality I should use FSR with SMAA on Ultra Quality. I find that SMAA X1.0 is still better visually. The CAS setting in Patch 5 was far better for me.

Last edited:
Not great. I ended a chat with the Pioneer Supplies lady and materialised outside of the entire planetary port... plus my HUD text is now quite blurry.
359320_20210729215604_1.png

Well, x1.0 is no upscaling, rendering at the actual target resolution, so... :7

So far, I'm finding that for performance/quality balance, if using FSR, I may well prefer foregoing the built-in FSR option, in favour of the external FSR hack (...for SteamVR users), with game supersampling set to x1.25 (...which is a silly act-and-immediately-counteract-what-you-just-did practice), because SMAA just isn't up to the job (the hack also lets you set arbitrary subsampling factor- and sharpening values).

Terrain... Looks better in some ways, and worse in others, IMHO... Was using: "Ultra for Capture" before, and now: "Ultra+", which I suppose replaces it... Utterly moot nomenclature comparison, probably, given all the LOD tables will have been rebalanced anyway... :p

I had a bit of: "Uh-oh..." reaction to the mention about shinier terrain, and hopped into game only to immediately have that reaction confirmed by some mud-looking ground that turned between yellow and orange in a very wierd and abrupt way... It was a high metal content planet, so maybe that mud consisted of 50% gold powder - I don't know... :p
-Overall there seem to be rather much contrast to ground materials, causing very stark lighting, with an all white side and an all black side on almost perfectly flat ground, without needing a low light source -- even more so than pre update 6.

(All the crushing whites that came with Odyssey right from the start, tells me we all really need to switch to HDR displays... :p)

One little thing... Was the composition scanner reticle always an upside down version of the data link scanner one, or is that new? :7

New, issue tracker is linked in this thread.

It says in-game to use the AMD upscaling FSR only if super sampling is set to anything below 1.0. So the way I understand it, if someone is getting decent framerates with SS at 1.0, to not use the AMD upscaling at all. If the only way for someone to get decent framerates is to use SS below 1.0, then use the AMD FSR settings instead. Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
I tested this by setting supersampling to X0.5 then switching over to FSR at Ultra Quality, in game visuals now appear to be at X0.5 quality ? Need to test further.

It says in-game to use the AMD upscaling FSR only if super sampling is set to anything below 1.0. So the way I understand it, if someone is getting decent framerates with SS at 1.0, to not use the AMD upscaling at all. If the only way for someone to get decent framerates is to use SS below 1.0, then use the AMD FSR settings instead. Please feel free to correct me if I'm mistaken.
Correct, if you use supersampling below 1 for better performances, then you should use FSR which theoretically (not sure on my machine compared to cas) does the same thing better, if you are ok with supersampling 1.0 (native res) or above, then you MUST NOT use FSR

Last edited:
Yes -as it is bound to be; Ultra FSR is x0.77 (...and then upscaled to 1.0).
A question then regarding the Patch 5 AMD CAS FidelityFX addition, the sharpening seemed to be due to more pixels being visibly rendered at native resolution for the same performance. To me CAS was better than X1.0 ? Surely a filter alone could not improve the visuals to that degree ?

I see improvements in my potato computer (bare minimum I7 4770k, 16 Gb ram, RTX 1060 3 gb), it is very stable now, it gives me over 30 fps in busy sites and 45 in stations, the textures improved a lot from what i had yesterday, and i am using X1.0... for me it is a good update

I eagerly await new gameplay videos to watch. Of particular interest is planetary tech from about 1 to 2 km above the surface while flying over at high speed. Texture resolution, LOD-popping, terrain morphing vs draw distance, and shadows are particulars that I hope will eventually be improved to Horizons quality. Oh, and of course performance!

It actually never looker better - but still place to improvement. Textures are very nice, terrain popping is less visible and draw distance better.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7PY-FA0tHU

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vH4Pjd3Q9Mo

Last edited:
A question then regarding the Patch 5 AMD CAS FidelityFX addition, the sharpening seemed to be due to more pixels being visibly rendered at native resolution for the same performance. To me CAS was better than X1.0 ? Surely a filter alone could not improve the visuals to that degree ?

Whilst part of the FidelityFX features was an earlier rescaling algorithm, that optionally supplanted FDev's own; CAS, specifically, is literally a sharpening image filter,which increases contrast locally -- it was also active even if you did no upscaling. Load a picture into any paint program, apply a sharpening convolve operator to it, and that's it, basically, albeit a somewhat simpler operation.

FSR also does a sharpening pass after upscaling, but FDev does not currently seem give us an option to set its strength... Maybe it is available somewhere in the setting files... :7

EDIT: I, too, rather liked the way CAS made the terrain pop - brought a lot of "3D" to it. :7 I think my biggest problem with Odyssey terrain, is how much of it looks like heavily aliased, random-like monochrome noise -- patch 5 had ameliorated that to a great degree, but patch 6 made it worse again...

Last edited:
The codex is still broken. Just finished a ground conflict zone medium intensity, and it is not showing up in the codex. The only thing that is being logged in the codex currently for combat is the amount of ground combat bonds I gained, and the amount of credits I made from the combat zones. Everything else is still broke.
20210729155355_1.jpg

Whoa was VR blurry upon logging in for the first time... Reset to VR High default and it seems to be smooth but still feel blurrier. I'm not sure how I feel, need to play around with the settings some more.

Whilst part of the FidelityFX features was an earlier rescaling algorithm, that optionally supplanted FDev's own; CAS, specifically, is literally a sharpening image filter,which increases contrast locally -- it was also active even if you did no upscaling. Load a picture into any paint program, apply a sharpening convolve operator to it, and that's it, basically, albeit a somewhat simpler operation.

FSR also does a sharpening pass after upscaling, but FDev does not currently seem give us an option to set its strength... Maybe it is available somewhere in the setting files... :7

EDIT: I, too, rather liked the way CAS made the terrain pop - brought a lot of "3D" to it. :7 I think my biggest problem with Odyssey terrain, is how much of it looks like heavily aliased, random-like monochrome noise -- patch 5 had ameliorated that to a great degree, but patch 6 made it worse again...
Just had a quick read up on CAS over on AMD's website, an interesting technology with dynamic resolution scaling as an option as well. I hope that it is possible to reactivate it again as I am really missing it already !

Have not had a chance to take a close look at the terrain textures yet but for me the rounded geometry is bit disappointing. Still prefer the terrain to Horizons though, less noisy. Certainly an improvement from orbit in EDO due to the increased detail. I often found in Horizons that it was difficult to get a sense of scale due to the LOD changes. A view from a ship in orbit could look the same as when the ship was on the surface !

Things I've noticed (haven't read notes, so this is like a blind play through):
Big red notice when the guards (oddly not as uptight as the regular citizens) want to scan you.
There appear to be some UI changes, not sure exactly but the mission board looks different.

Top Bottom