Elite Dangerous: Odyssey Questions and Answers

lol yeah that's the downside, to me its a space race between both of these companies to get it done. Star Citizen has all the features to make for an incredible VR experience, Elite could be so much better if they would simply add headlook..its frustrating as hell
I will go where the VR is in space games.

Really Frontier should have stuck to their decision to have no VR in Odyssey, particularly seeing how unpredictable performance has been since 'release'. That would have 'upset' the VR community less than the 'incomplete' implementation we currently have, I think.
On the contrary, if they had built Odyssey for VR it would have by default ran so much better in 2d at launch but instead they did it backwards and we see how it turned out....both sides unhappy

Last edited:
I'm sure you wouldn't be alone....
(didn't they announce their looking to incorporate VR around 5 years ago?)
They announced "everything" and the proverbial kitchen sink about 8 years ago.

FD should look at implementing VR on foot as an option. There are workarounds using the camera suite already which seem to allow full 3D headset use.

Even if it induces sickness, just allow it and let players decide. I know nothing in gamedev is "simple", but the original ED VR implementation was legendarily done in a week. So I could be wrong but is it really THAT much harder to enable it for on-foot play (even if it make most players sick)?

Looking at the OP again just made me sad. What was FD thinking with most of Odyssey. It's not an odyssey, it's a mystery.

Like this gem:
Will you have some kind of holographic personal display to read information when you are on foot?
Yes your suit will have similar functions to your ship – more on this in the future

The in-ship HUD would have worked pretty darn good if they just slightly adapted it for on foot. PIP management, heat indicator, 3d radar, nav panel on left, info panel on right, etc. Instead wasted who knows how many hours developing new UI which does not mesh with the old and has non-sense "wheel" interface that often just calls up the old screens or has had to get a keymap to make it usable. They really wanted a difference for the "new era" marketing so bad the marketing infected the game more than the ARX store.

VR is not the problem for the iinstability in Ody. They just released to soon. VR is the whipping boy when all other explanations fail or they don't want to admit the real reason for problems. Half Life Alex proved that.

They announced "everything" and the proverbial kitchen sink about 8 years ago.

FD should look at implementing VR on foot as an option. There are workarounds using the camera suite already which seem to allow full 3D headset use.

Even if it induces sickness, just allow it and let players decide. I know nothing in gamedev is "simple", but the original ED VR implementation was legendarily done in a week. So I could be wrong but is it really THAT much harder to enable it for on-foot play (even if it make most players sick)?

Looking at the OP again just made me sad. What was FD thinking with most of Odyssey. It's not an odyssey, it's a mystery.

Like this gem:
Will you have some kind of holographic personal display to read information when you are on foot?
Yes your suit will have similar functions to your ship – more on this in the future

The in-ship HUD would have worked pretty darn good if they just slightly adapted it for on foot. PIP management, heat indicator, 3d radar, nav panel on left, info panel on right, etc. Instead wasted who knows how many hours developing new UI which does not mesh with the old and has non-sense "wheel" interface that often just calls up the old screens or has had to get a keymap to make it usable. They really wanted a difference for the "new era" marketing so bad the marketing infected the game more than the ARX store.
The camera suite helps but without the UI it's just a bandaid. My hope is that Bethesda's Starfield is a home run and I'm pretty sure it will have VR, once ithat happens, Elite will become a memory, my playtime has already dropped 50% over this letdown.

I am kind of thinking the developers have all decided VR is too much trouble and have decided to try to kill it. FD could make 2 versions one in VR and one in 2d. I would pay a lot more for the VR version. I can understand them wanting put VR on hold till they get the console version out but I just can't sit still to dumping it entirely.

Last edited:
So how many of you would jump ship to Star Citizen if they add headlook VR ?
I've been playing SC for a couple weeks to get acclimated and I'm hear to tell you SC is definitely more ambitious and just and a much better game even with the bugs. The planet tech blows away Odyssey, full ship interiors, character animations, apartments, ship cockpits are all unique plus a larger variety. The only thing Elite has over SC is VR and they managed to screw that up.
I'm making a push for CIG to implement it

I've been playing SC for a couple weeks to get acclimated and I'm hear to tell you SC is definitely more ambitious and just and a much better game even with the bugs. The planet tech blows away Odyssey, full ship interiors, character animations, apartments, ship cockpits are all unique plus a larger variety. The only thing Elite has over SC is VR and they managed to screw that up.
Beings FD appears to be jumping ship on VR I probably would play both till FD totally phased out VR and then I would shift totally to SC. I love ED and don't want to go but dumping VR leaves me no choice and if SC never goes VR I will be shopping for a game that does that does not have cartoon like graphics.

Keep us posted if you have any luck with CIG.

No.
I've been playing SC for a couple weeks to get acclimated and I'm hear to tell you SC is definitely more ambitious and just and a much better game even with the bugs.
No.
The planet tech blows away Odyssey
No.
full ship interiors, character animations, apartments, ship cockpits are all unique plus a larger variety.
Okay?
The only thing Elite has over SC is VR and they managed to screw that up.
No.
Good luck.

The camera suite helps but without the UI it's just a bandaid. My hope is that Bethesda's Starfield is a home run and I'm pretty sure it will have VR, once ithat happens, Elite will become a memory, my playtime has already dropped 50% over this letdown.
I'd be prepared to be disappointed again. AFAIK Bethesda has never released a game that has not needed community fix's and other such esoteric work.

I hope I'm wrong.

Top Bottom