*******Odyssey: Console Release ETA. *******

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
That can't have a definitive answer yet. Frontier don't know what it will take to get Odyssey running properly on PC so of course they don't know whether the console hardware will be able to run that. I've said before that I do think PS5/Series will be ok, but I have my doubts that PS4 or One/X will ever see Oddysey. It's just too much development cost to invest in a superseded platform.

Just for your interest,

we wouldn’t believe any rumored theory, when there is a clear information for us on consoles.

the clear information that is needed is: will EDO get an release on consoles? The timeline is not important only the fact that EDO will come or not?

we aren’t willing to give you pressure about the development of it. The only thing is what we would like to know is. Will there be a future for the consoles.

brief example, people who get the game not to long ago, decide to spent money for arx, a few month later they get the message, that the consoles will stop. What would you think as an customer? It’s not the fine British way.

So please, can you check the Situation for us ? A simple EDO will come definitely to console would be help so much. No matter when. The only thing what could get wrong, where when you tell us it’s only Next gen, but I think we are would be fine with this, because elite runs at the old gen not so good. Stuttering and anything else.

so please, we didn’t need any timeline, or release window or something in this direction, but what we need, is the confirmation that elite will have a future on consoles. @sallymorganmoore @Arthur Tolmie @Zac Cocken @Bruce G @David Braben
Speak for yourself. The timeline is definitely important. If some other game decides its my new favorite than I won't be buying Odyssey if I'm not playing ED anymore 🤷‍♂️

I am wondering what they have been doing since summer 2018 for the defective product that they have released, it does not seem like the 3-year job, correction, 3.5 years and increasing development seems like a job of less than 1 year and in a hurry, then They tell us that they will not see content after launch and they are doing it, they spit in our faces with their lies, as a console gamer, I understand if we are really going to receive it or not, but in support of those who bought this scam on pc I say: is it all you have in terms of content?

Just for your interest,

we wouldn’t believe any rumored theory, when there is a clear information for us on consoles.

the clear information that is needed is: will EDO get an release on consoles? The timeline is not important only the fact that EDO will come or not?

we aren’t willing to give you pressure about the development of it. The only thing is what we would like to know is. Will there be a future for the consoles.

brief example, people who get the game not to long ago, decide to spent money for arx, a few month later they get the message, that the consoles will stop. What would you think as an customer? It’s not the fine British way.

So please, can you check the Situation for us ? A simple EDO will come definitely to console would be help so much. No matter when. The only thing what could get wrong, where when you tell us it’s only Next gen, but I think we are would be fine with this, because elite runs at the old gen not so good. Stuttering and anything else.

so please, we didn’t need any timeline, or release window or something in this direction, but what we need, is the confirmation that elite will have a future on consoles. @sallymorganmoore @Arthur Tolmie @Zac Cocken @Bruce G @David Braben
I can think of a few British companies that have done stuff like that. However I think Fdev is looking at hyping the console release for all it's worth in order to claw back the PC players they lost following the earlier release.
So the question isn't whether it'll run on console so much as what will the PC players accept.

Rumour:
"A currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth."
"- be circulated as an unverified account"

I was beginning to wonder where my weekly response to console launch plans was coming this week 🥺
I do absolutely still hear your concerns and worries over this, but the only thing I can suggest is...keep hanging on to what we've updated you with so far and trust that the absolute truths on any plans will always come from us as...well...a verified source. Even if plans change or go ahead with roaring success, the facts will sprout always from us as the confirmation and never the speculation.

Right now, as I've said through all of the previous weeks on this:

"Ultimately, we believe it is right to focus our efforts on the core Elite Dangerous Odyssey experience for the platforms that we have released on, before opening up to more. We know that the work that we do to improve players’ experiences of Elite Dangerous Odyssey on PC will benefit other platforms in the future, but the dates and details of the console platforms are going to change. We do not want to rush into confirming any dates or changes this has on our console release, as we must remain fully focused on the core Elite experience. Only when we feel that the foundation of the PC release is solid, will we be able to re-lay our console roadmap on top." David Braben, Odyssey going forwards.

We still have...well...I won't lie - much to do to get Odyssey "solid", as David says there - and therefore we're cracking on with it until we're in a position to move forward.
This above statement still remains, because we haven't had any indication anywhere, across all departments and teams, that it's under major threat. Any news further will always come from us when we have it. Sorry it's not more for you.

@sallymorganmoore From a Community Management perspective, are there any plans to counter the impact of excluding a significant portion of the community from Odyssey - Elite's biggest update to-date - for such an extended period of time?

That can't have a definitive answer yet. Frontier don't know what it will take to get Odyssey running properly on PC so of course they don't know whether the console hardware will be able to run that. I've said before that I do think PS5/Series will be ok, but I have my doubts that PS4 or One/X will ever see Oddysey. It's just too much development cost to invest in a superseded platform.

There are no plans for PS5/Series though. Frontier have confirmed this already on more than one occasion. So no PS4/One X, no Odyssey for consoles.

No plans doesn't mean anything. There might be plans now.
I'd much prefer "We are going to" or "we are not going to." It's much less ambiguous.

I suspect anything more specific at this stage would mean most console players simply stop playing.

Almost a year has passed since the original no plans statement and it has proven to mean exactly "we are not going to"... because "they haven't".

It's clear that unless you're on the developer's platform de rigueur you're in for a long wait, for a bus that's broken down and probably isn't even coming any more, if it ever was. Slowly, the would-be passengers drift off one by one...

It's been delayed INDEFINITELY. they can barely have it running good on top end gaming PCs, imagine how it would run on a much lesser machine we are always being told our consoles are. Obviously I can't say with 100% certainty but I feel I am being realistic that they'll probably end up announcing they won't be able to get it to work on console.
It’s going to be Xbox series x and ps5 only.

@sallymorganmoore I have a console account as well as a PC account and I haven't touched my console account since June. My Squadron are mainly based on PS4 and they are barely playing now, the squadron discord is also pretty dead. Console Cmdrs are feeling abandond or second class and I believe this is hurting the game within the console communities. I do agree that EDO needs to be properly fixed on PC before it can roll out to console but the Cmdrs on PS4 and Xbox need to know they aren't forgotton and that EDO is coming. At the moment there is a huge vaccuum of information for console Cmdrs and that vaccuum is being filled by speculation and rumor. Within the console Cmdrs in my squadron there is not a high level of expectation that they will see the release of EDO within the next 12 months. I know that target dates have been set and missed too many times but I also think this open ended uncertainty is even worse. Would it be possible to provide some sort of statement that reassures console Cmdrs that EDO can be ported to the base standard PS4 and Xbox1 or alternatively that you are assessing the viability of the console port? Assuming you are intending to release on PS4/XBox1 you surely have some idea about the timescale, for example its not going to be in five years so what would be the longest viable timescale for console release?

Frontier must be getting quite close to their next monthly bombshell, where they wind up the PC community with an update on what they are doing and what they are focusing on. Invariably if there is any bad news in there about date slippage or it doesn't reference little johnny's niche problem, the forum erupts with indignation.

It would be really good to counter that with a portion of the post dedicated to telling the console community where they are with their revised plan and scope.
If not the detail, at least a plan for a plan (whether consoles are planned to get EDO this year or next; or whether Frontier hope to start planning the console component from Q4 2021 etc)
and what sort of areas bespoke to consoles are looking to be addressed (e.g. the console specific top 5 issues like screen resolution, multiple controller input...)

Radio silence doesn't help engender any sort of good will from console commanders and with lots of developers releasing new games on console, there is the risk that a commander will put down the game for good, the day before any announcement arrives resulting in another lost RGU

@sallymorganmoore From a Community Management perspective, are there any plans to counter the impact of excluding a significant portion of the community from Odyssey - Elite's biggest update to-date - for such an extended period of time?

Haha... Significant? 😂

The significant portion is on PC and they are hard working to get them happy with Odyssey...
We consolers are the insignificant part, no matter how hard this may be to accept 😇

@sallymorganmoore I have a console account as well as a PC account and I haven't touched my console account since June. My Squadron are mainly based on PS4 and they are barely playing now, the squadron discord is also pretty dead. Console Cmdrs are feeling abandond or second class and I believe this is hurting the game within the console communities. I do agree that EDO needs to be properly fixed on PC before it can roll out to console but the Cmdrs on PS4 and Xbox need to know they aren't forgotton and that EDO is coming. At the moment there is a huge vaccuum of information for console Cmdrs and that vaccuum is being filled by speculation and rumor. Within the console Cmdrs in my squadron there is not a high level of expectation that they will see the release of EDO within the next 12 months. I know that target dates have been set and missed too many times but I also think this open ended uncertainty is even worse. Would it be possible to provide some sort of statement that reassures console Cmdrs that EDO can be ported to the base standard PS4 and Xbox1 or alternatively that you are assessing the viability of the console port? Assuming you are intending to release on PS4/XBox1 you surely have some idea about the timescale, for example its not going to be in five years so what would be the longest viable timescale for console release?
And it's going to take more than an empty and useless, "we haven't forgotten you console cmdrs don't worry"

That does nothing for us in game and that's pretty much all we ever get

This is a big we don’t give a dam about the console community we are not ‘core’ community not important enough, all the updates coming out are just improving the new release it’s not fixing any supposed game breaking bugs that stop them bringing it out on console. Yet another betrayal

This is a big we don’t give a dam about the console community we are not ‘core’ community not important enough, all the updates coming out are just improving the new release it’s not fixing any supposed game breaking bugs that stop them bringing it out on console. Yet another betrayal

No.
It's just setting priorities.

If EDO flops on PC, there will be no EDO whatsoever on consoles and ED servers might get shut down.

Status
Thread Closed: Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom