Perhaps it's time to stop pinging Sally for every little thing

Some people cannot handle incertainty at all. So they keep pestering for answers, would prefer any answer (even unreliable or downright false) over uncertainty and if that doesnt work either will simply make up an answer themselves. Its a personality trait on an axis, and some are just extreme in inability to deal with uncertainty.
Always helpful to have the insight of a professional into these issues.

Sally is a wonderful human being, and someone who tries very hard to be understanding and engaging. However she also feels a personal burden to respond to those who message her, even if it might be to the detriment of herself.

When Sally first started responding on the forums to posts with regularity it was only supposed to be a once a week thing, as the team were going to share the days around. But because Sally is very personable more and more people just started pinging her directly all hours of the day/night and over the weekend too. Responding to hundreds of comments a day is not her main job and people now have the opinion that she will respond and some get annoyed when it doesn't happen quickly enough for them, this can easily result in other areas suffering or the work carrying over into personal time.

Sally's signature isn't an exaggeration. So I'd just ask you have a bit more restraint and stop pinging Sally for everything thinking she's going to solve all your issues, because she will want to try, and that is putting undue pressure on her. Sally has shown great kindness to us here, let's repay it.

I agree OP.

"If everything is awesome, and there is no unawesome, then awesome by definition is just mediocre!" ~ Ellie Bartowski

iu

In the context of this thread, "If everything is an emergency, and there is no unemergency, then emergency by definition is just selfish demands!"

Last edited:

Deleted member 182079

D
Do you actually believe that?
It's a good question really ... if the release wouldn't have been such a disaster that triggered two almost-apologies by the CEO and a re-thinking of community management with a more hands-on approach by the CM's, chances are they may have gotten away without the current situation (though it wouldn't have eliminated it entirely I'm pretty sure).

That's not to say that I don't roll my eyes at the constant pinging of anyone at FDev really, I don't do it myself and my only exchanges with Frontier staff is when they quote any of my posts (and I'll make sure to let go of any bants or conversation as I don't want to waste too much of their time).

It's probably true that Sally takes the renewed comms strategy too seriously (professionally speaking, and I hope this gets noticed internally, as it should be rewarded) and will need to learn to say no more often - I remember I used to be more helpful in the past towards too many people, and all that got me was more work in the end (though if you do it with the right people it can also open doors - but I don't think forumites are in the opening doors business....).

Always helpful to have the insight of a professional into these issues.
There is another fun one relevant to this community: loss aversion. On average people tend to dislike losing [x] more than they like gaining the same thing. Its obvious even in very simple and transparant studies. So the 'average' person would rather have nothing happen over finding and losing a $10 note on a day. But people differ: some people would actually prefer it, whereas some even would rather not find a $20 note while also losing a $10. The latter makes no logical sense, but despite objectively gaining $10 they feel like they lost.

Back to EDO: while it is harder to quantify a computer game update obviously, people do tend to focus on the things they lose rather than gain. Some though barely care about the losses and can feel great if EDO breaks ten 'things' yet only adds one thing. Conversely, others will focus heavily on the one or two things they perceive as losses regardless of how much EDO might offer over Horizons.

You can probably think of a few names on either side of the axis. :)

I'm seeing a theme here where female members of the development and community team need to take a step back or at least voice concerns regarding boundaries.

Sarah Jane Avory, Dr Kay Ross and now Sally.
Just stop. That behavior of certain people is obviously not acceptable, but don't use this opportunity to push some kind of narrative.

It's not something that happens only to female staff members. The person who got the most abuse actually was a male developer who hasn't been on Frontier's forum/Youtube/Twitter/etc ever since - which I can totally understand.

Just stop. That behavior of certain people is obviously not acceptable, but don't use this opportunity to push some kind of narrative.

It's not something that happens only to female staff members. The person who got the most abuse actually was a male developer who hasn't been on Frontier's forum/Youtube/Twitter/etc ever since - which I can totally understand.

Thank you for your feedback it's appreciated.

Fairly confident that the first day Sandro or Michael posted here absolutely nobody went on the internet to look for pictures of them, post them here and say that if they weren't married yet many here would be willing.

And that is public stuff by somebody who means well.

Just sayin'.

Simplest point of view here is, if the CM is getting pinged so much they can no longer keep up with all the pings, then at that point the reason for having pings becomes worthless. The more people ping, then less the CM can respond to all.

At which point people start crying that the CMs don't respond to their pings. Even if the CMs are still responding to dozens of pings per day, they are not responding to your pings, and therefore they are bad people!

Fairly confident that the first day Sandro or Michael posted here absolutely nobody went on the internet to look for pictures of them, post them here and say that if they weren't married yet many here would be willing.

And that is public stuff by somebody who means well.

Just sayin'.
Which is a completely different topic. I was talking about abuse, not creeps.

Deleted member 182079

D
Simplest point of view here is, if the CM is getting pinged so much they can no longer keep up with all the pings, then at that point the reason for having pings becomes worthless. The more people ping, then less the CM can respond to all.

At which point people start crying that the CMs don't respond to their pings. Even if the CMs are still responding to dozens of pings per day, they are not responding to your pings, and therefore they are bad people!
What is it with the UK and pingdemics!

I remember when I was at High School, one small chunky bold headed lad running down the main school corridor shouting "All teachers are b@stards!" at the top of his voice.

I think Sally M-M needs to run through the central corridor/main area at Frontier offices shouting "All Elite Dangerous players are b@stards" at the top of her voice. It might not solve the problem but I guarantee she will feel much better.

Last edited:
Sally's signature isn't an exaggeration. So I'd just ask you have a bit more restraint and stop pinging Sally for everything thinking she's going to solve all your issues, because she will want to try, and that is putting undue pressure on her. Sally has shown great kindness to us here, let's repay it.
Source: https://twitter.com/smorganmoore/status/1437698225138511872
Fully agree, but doesn't the forum software offer an option to hide (super)users from pinging?

Top Bottom